I'm trying to better understand the Somali Dialects, who can help me? 

First, I'm unsure about if these are all the same, or how they are related: Xamar, Mogadishu,  and Banadiri. Likewise, Koonfur, and Banadiri dialect(s). 

Moving on, I heard that Northern Somali dominates the media: music industry, news, etc., and maybe even the education system as in it's a dialect chosen for teaching. While Southern Somali is the most commonly spoken of all the dialects, and the two dialects (Northern, and Southern) are the most common of all the dialects. Do you think that is the case?

Feel free to share any other relevant insights. :)

I came across this photo long ago. Though I think I also came across another link that said it's wrong: 

WWW.WIKIWAND.COM

The Somali languages form a group that are part of the Afro-Asiatic language family. They are spoken as a mother...

Thank you for your help in advance. My internet is having issues, so I might be unable to respond for a while. 

On 5/1/2020 at 1:12 PM, Come Learn Somali said:

I'm trying to better understand the Somali Dialects, who can help me? 

First, I'm unsure about if these are all the same, or how they are related: Xamar, Mogadishu,  and Banadiri. Likewise, Koonfur, and Banadiri dialect(s). 

Moving on, I heard that Northern Somali dominates the media: music industry, news, etc., and maybe even the education system as in it's a dialect chosen for teaching. While Southern Somali is the most commonly spoken of all the dialects, and the two dialects (Northern, and Southern) are the most common of all the dialects. Do you think that is the case?

Feel free to share any other relevant insights. :)

I came across this photo long ago. Though I think I also came across another link that said it's wrong: 

WWW.WIKIWAND.COM

The Somali languages form a group that are part of the Afro-Asiatic language family. They are spoken as a mother...

Thank you for your help in advance. My internet is having issues, so I might be unable to respond for a while. 

The average language used by the mass media in Soomaaliya is not based on a Northern nor Southern dialect. It is mostly a Central region standardized dialect.

Anyway, what is up with Soomaali language and you?

1 hour ago, Miskiin-Macruuf-Aqiyaar said:

The average language used by the mass media in Soomaaliya is not based on .a Northern nor Southern dialect. It is mostly a Central region standardized dialect.

Anyway, what is up with Soomaali language and you?

Okay. I am working on the improvement of my knowledge of the Somali language, and I want to help others with learning it.  

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• By Abdira
      Join the Somalia Discord Server!
      DISCORD.GG  
    • By Abdira
      Join the Somalia Discord Server!
      DISCORD.GG #1 Discord for Somalia and the people of Eastern Africa | 879 members  
    • By Abdiali
      Somali Bantu and Somali Cushitic Situation | Medium
      MEDIUM.COM Somali Bantu and Somali Cushitic Situation There is an interesting history of the Bantus and the Cushitic people in Somalia. For centuries, the Somali Bantu and the Somali Cushitic lived in Somaliland harmoniously. At the time, they lived in different regions. The Bantu occupied the southern part of Somalia, while their counterparts, the Cushitic group, occupied central and northern Somalia. The land was peaceful, as no group interfered with the affairs of the other. Still, each group defended their territory and could even help one another in times of need. In their subgroups, they governed themselves for many generations.
    • By Come Learn Somali
      The Somali pluralization seems complex, any tips on how I can learn it? 
      For example how can I pluralize: Aabo, hooyo, abooto, moos, yaanyo.  
      How can I say: "Accent" and "What time is it?" 
      Does "Labo" have a more consistent word that means  20? Like "laba" has "labaatan". 
      Labootan? 😂
      How do you say "what time is it?", "how much is it", "eagle", and "vulture"? (I googled image searched "Gorgor" and it brings up "eagles" and the link below says "Gorgor" is "vulture". So I'm writing off as a mistake in the link, or a possible dialectal difference.)
      Could someone explain what's with these accented letters "dál", "mídowga Afriká"? - Somali Noun Morphophonology
      WWW.LING.UPENN.EDU
      (I occasionally see it in writings. I'm just starting to learn the Somali alphabets, and seeing things like that confuse me.)
    • By Come Learn Somali
      Someone and I are in a disagreement with the use of "adiga/adigu" and also the translation of the other question. So I'd like to hear what you think is right, and if possible why. 
      I wrote "AdigA cun" for "you eat it". Then recieved a correction for it is "adigU cun" and was told that the two words are used differently. Though I've never actually used that word "adigU" and hearing about it I just thought it's a dialectal difference of Northern, and Southern Somali for the word "you". I saw that Google translate translates "Adiga cun" as "eat yourself", though it can't be trusted, and "eat yourself" could be "(Adiga/u(?)) Is cun." I think "adigA" is right in that context because it means "you". And it doesn't seem that we have a Somali word for the word "it" so it would just be "you eat". 
      We are also in a disagreement with this:
      Person says: "Why do you thank me? = Maxaad iigu mahad celinaysaa?" Not "Maxaad iigu mahad celisaa?"
      I say I think "Why do you thank me?" = "Maxaad iigu mahad celisaa?" "
      Maxaad iigu mahad celinaysaa?" I think is "Why are you thanking me?"