Sign in to follow this  
General Duke

Duke's book club

261b8b5c.jpg

Just read this book about the rise and hunt for Pablo Escobar, the worlds richest criminal and mad man.

It was ok. Nothing special the author seems to over hype certian events and over play the importance, power and effectiveness of the American armed forces in the hunt for this one man.

slaughterhouse5.jpg Slaughterhouse Five by Kurt Vonnegut. An American author is one of the new books I will be reading insha Allah.

imgLord%20of%20the%20Flies5.jpgThis is the book I am reading right now.

Salma   

^^^ These pix remind me of the Old Egyptian TV Series (Se Sayed- Mr. Sayed & His family) if u would remember... Have u read "Children of Our Alley--- Awlaad Haretna". I bought it from Lebanon few yearz back when it was still censored in the GCC. I wanted to know why the Islamists wanted to kill the author when the novel was released in Egypt.. I must admit" Very controversial novel".

P.S> I miss the old movies (Black & White), very meaningful & memorable.

Originally posted by Sherban Shabeel:

My favorite trilogy next to Lord of the Rings:

421px-Baiin_al-Qasriin_1988.png

9780552995818.jpg

n152562.jpg

just read children of the alley and found it to be an immense waste of time. read stainback's east of Edan in one week, which is like a thousand pages but this little one took me like three weeks, what do think of his other books, after all his a noble laureate?

n152601.jpg

brhe_side2.jpg

361acd80222119a66f6e0ea996d9d5d6.jpg

bought these too yesterday and planning to make this summer a summer of poetry and prose and the last time i took poetry serious was in high school with khalil gibran's the prophet which is still my favorite book of poetry.

the-prophet.jpg

Salma   

^^^ "On Children"- Gibran Khalil Gibran

Your children are not your children.

They are the sons and daughters of Life’s longing for itself.

They come through you but not from you,

And though they are with you, yet they belong not to you.

You may give them your love but not your thoughts.

For they have their own thoughts.

You may house their bodies but not their souls,

For their souls dwell in the house of tomorrow, which you cannot visit, not even in your dreams.

You may strive to be like them, but seek not to make them like you.

For life goes not backward nor tarries with yesterday.

You are the bows from which your children as living arrows are sent forth.

The archer sees the mark upon the path of the infinite, and He bends you with His might that His arrows may go swift and far.

Let your bending in the archer’s hand be for gladness;

For even as he loves the arrow that flies, so He loves also the bow that is stable...

this book borders on the philosophical, but that's the kind of poetry i like. if anyone knows more like it, please share. and to think his first language was not even English.

And ever has it been known that love knows not its own depth until the hour of separation ~ gibran

A friend who is far away is sometimes much nearer than one who is at hand. Is not the mountain far more awe-inspiring and more clearly visible to one passing through the valley than to those who inhabit the mountain? ~ gibran

Originally posted by Naxar Nugaaleed:

just read children of the alley and found it to be an immense waste of time. read stainback's east of Edan in one week, which is like a thousand pages but this little one took me like three weeks, what do think of his other books, after all his a noble laureate?

n152601.jpg

I only read the Palace trilogy and it was amazing! It's kinda soap-opera style, witty, lots of drinking and women, my kinda book lol

Miriam1   

^ Personally I found that book to be very predictable and boring.

One of my all time favourite novels

Invisible Man by Ralph Ellison