Sign in to follow this  
General Duke

Duke's book club

-Lily-   

Mary, Called Magdalene by Margaret George

According to the book, she was possessed by evil spirits/demons, left her house in search of a well known Rabbi who could cure her. He failed so she travelled to the desert to seek refuge and die there when she meets Jesus and he frees her of them . She chose to stay with him and learn more of his preaching. She tried to convince her family to join but they disowned her, including her husband. She wasn’t a prostitute, she chose to spend her time with Jesus and his disciples, at a time when women didn’t live/associated with men to whom they were not married to. Hence, she was referred to as a ‘prostitute’. She became a preacher and church leader till the day she died.

I'm going to get back to Affluenza, was meaning to finish it.

I just finished reading and highly recommend Maus by Art Spiegelman. A very moving tale of a very Somali Jewish father.

book_maus.jpg

makes me wonder how long before we start dealing with our own past and current situation..

Abtigiis   

I like Born Broniac's book taste. Chronicles of a death foretold is wonderful. Also, please read 'Love in the time of Cholera' by the same writer.

I also recommend Naill Ferguson's "Empire".

And Ngonge's " The CL factor". :D

NASSIR   

Duke, that is good to know. 'You should be a Man well-read and well-travelled. Life is itself a University'-- an old suggestion offered by an uncle of mine.

The best books I read are the following, most of them classic: Masterpieces of literature!

From African authors

Kaffir Boy by Mark Mathabane

The Years of Childhood by Wole Soyinka

Things fall apart, by Achebe

Link by Nurrudin Farah

Ignorance is the enemy of love by Faarax M.J. Cawl. I was like Hayem, reading this book in the end. It has tragic end. :D

From American Authors

Death of a Salesman

by Arthur Miller (1949)

This is a modern tragedy of an ordinary man, Willie. Faced with the loss of his livelihood and the failure of his sons, whom he has inculcated with his values of achieving success. Willie commits suicide in a final, pathetic effort to rescue his family through his insurance money.

For Whom the Bell Tolls by Ernest Hemingway

Lord Jim by Joseph Conrad. An English seaman who impulsively abandons his sinking ship carrying Muslim pilgrims

Moby Dick by Herman Melville.

This novel is considered by many to be the finest novel ever written.

And many more I don't remember.

wow..! this is amazing... what happened to the jaat sessions? lool..i would recommend yall to read the book called Cry, the beloved country.

it truly changed my for life for the better.

I never knew there was a Death of a salesman book, but I have seen the play on TV and it's one of those plays i watched on my early years in the states and would never forget it. had to watch it twice to really understand it.

ADNAAN   

Ward Churchill the Native American professor unlike Chomsky “tells it like it is”, I highly recommend his book even though I haven’t finished reading the book yet.

His article - some people push back; the justice of roosting chickens – is a good place to start it gives an excellent introduction to the book.

Extract form the article:

When queried by reporters concerning his views on the assassination of John F. Kennedy in November 1963, Malcolm X famously -- and quite charitably, all things considered -- replied that it was merely a case of "chickens coming home to roost."

On the morning of September 11, 2001, a few more chickens -- along with some half-million dead Iraqi children -- came home to roost in a very big way at the twin towers of New York's World Trade Center. Well, actually, a few of them seem to have nestled in at the Pentagon as well.

ward-churchill-justice-roosting-chickens

A timely book by the honourable C/llaahi Yuusuf Axmed will hit the shelves in the fall of next year world-wide. Aptly titled, too, according to a leaked report:

Why My Political Supporters Should Not Have Ardently Followed My Failed Policies and Instead Should Have Read the Books Listed Above: A Lesson in Soomaali History

Coming out next year, around Oktoobar 14, the day the author was inaugurated, loona caleemosaaray as a Soomaali 'president.'

^^^^loool. Yusuf's biography will be writen soon enough insha Allah. A tough Somali Soldier is a working title.

But have you read the book, I sold the Sea to Kenya by the illeterate Sharif Xasan writen for him by MMA? :D

Futuh_TPD2.jpg?osCsid=ee51a045d7b4ffcb3e

By: Sihab ad-Din Ahmad bin Abd al-Qader bin Salem bin Utman

About the Book

Sihab ad-Din Ahmad bin ‘Abd al-Qader’s account of the early sixteenth century Jihad, or holywar, in Ethiopia, of Imam Ahmad bin Ibrahim, better known as Ahmad Gran, or the Left handed, is an historical classic. The Yamani author was an eyewitness of several of the battles he describes, and is an invaluable source. His book, which is full of human, and at times tragic, drama, makes a major contribution to our knowledge of a crucially important period in the hisoty of Ethiopia and Horn of Africa.

‘Futuh al-Habasa,’ or ‘Conquest of Abyssinia’ - which undoubtedly reflects the situation as it seemed to its Yamani author at the time of its composition. The forces of Imam Ahmad bin Ibrahim had occupied the greater part of Ethiopia. The resistance of Emperor Lebna Dengel had virtually come to an end, and many Christians had chosen to convert to Islam. The victorious Imam’s regime seemed there to stay.

This was, however, far from the end of the story. The Imam was killed in battle on February 21, 1543, whereupon his army almost immediately disintegrated. Those of his soldiers who could do so made their way back to the East. Not a few Muslim converts reverted to their former faith.

The Futuh thus refers to a relatively short, though crucially important, period in Ethiopia’s long history. The book is nevertheless valuable, in that its author was an eye-witness of many of the events he describes, and writes, as far as we can judge, with a degree of objectivity rare for his time.

(translated by a missionary fella, so read it witha pinch of salt)

There is aslo an arabic version available called fatxul zammaan.