Sign in to follow this  
General Duke

Duke's book club

SeeKer   

So the past two weeks has seen me finish four books and I am now embarking on my fifth one.

515RCV1WV6L._SL500_AA300_.jpg which is making me chuckle in the most unlikely locations i.e. waiting rooms, planes and at work.

I highly recommend 51KwKO4G-JL._SL500_AA300_.jpg.I absolutely could not put this book down and read it from 9 pm till 5 am in the morning.

I am also hoping to reread some old classics and last weekend picked up things%20fall%20apart.jpg after polishing off ThingAroundYourNeck-as222.jpg

I am wondering if anyone has read white.jpg or does_my_head_look_big_in_this.jpg or 51df540xptl_sl500_.jpg or kazuo_ishiguro.jpg and what they thought of them since they are in my wish list

N.O.R.F   

Just finished reading:

200px-Confessions_of_An_Economic_Hitman_

According to his book, Perkins' function was to convince the political and financial leadership of underdeveloped countries to accept enormous development loans from institutions like the World Bank and USAID. Saddled with debts they could not hope to pay, those countries were forced to acquiesce to political pressure from the United States on a variety of issues. Perkins argues in his book that developing nations were effectively neutralized politically, had their wealth gaps driven wider and economies crippled in the long run. In this capacity Perkins recounts his meetings with some prominent individuals, including Graham Greene and Omar Torrijos. Perkins describes the role of an EHM as follows:

Economic hit men (EHMs) are highly-paid professionals who cheat countries around the globe out of trillions of dollars. They funnel money from the World Bank, the U.S. Agency for International Development (USAID), and other foreign "aid" organizations into the coffers of huge corporations and the pockets of a few wealthy families who control the planet's natural resources. Their tools included fraudulent financial reports, rigged elections, payoffs, extortion, sex, and murder. They play a game as old as empire, but one that has taken on new and terrifying dimensions during this time of globalization.

N.O.R.F   

Originally posted by Karl_Polanyi:

^^ I read that book before i stopped reading books. It's an eye opener for sure.
:D

An eye opener and a good book overall. However, the author spends too much time trying to convince the reader that he felt a sense of guilt about his role and what he was creating (US imperialism). I didn't believe him.

NASSIR   

41U1CM8narL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

I read this book the second time..496 pages.

I'm really impressed by the depth and intensity of this new book "Governance, by Ismail A. Ismail".

It reconstructs the missing strands of Somalia's history and its varrying political edifices. A dissection of important historic events is shown in a manner that can hardly be explained by those with limited grasp and view of our history, culture and politics. It also traces Somalia's present societal ills (at most) to the colonial designs of Italy and its fascist policies, which had even lingered in full effect after its defeat in WWII. The author also argues that good governance (as the author is an expert in the field), requires a combination of indigenous and modern solution based on finding a compatibality between traditional and and modern structures of governance. Simply Brilliant and much overdue! I couldn't put it down.

He makes this moving statement in the preface, "I saw a void inadvertently created by educated and experienced Somalis of my age, and I thought that my generation owed to posterity to write what they know honestly, without distortion of the facts and without favor or malice towards anyone. "I believe young Somalis who have lost touch with the past of their country--and have a distorted view of it--should know what went wrong, what led their state to fail, and what destroyed their country. Connectivity between generations is very important, for, without it, continuity would be lost" Ismail.

chubacka   

Looking forward to reading Under the lions Gaze @ Seeker.

White Teeth is a good read with interesting characters (love the dad), worth sticking with, read it yonks ago.

Finished reading

life-of-pi2.jpg needless to say highly recommend, great adventure story with an interesting ending. Also read for the novelty

fromsomalia.jpg

cool teenage book which shows a good insight into the lives of somali families. (they even live in east london!)

feel like reading some non-fiction

NASSIR   

Originally posted by N.O.R.F:

Just finished reading:

200px-Confessions_of_An_Economic_Hitman_

quote:

According to his book, Perkins' function was to convince the political and financial leadership of underdeveloped countries to accept enormous development loans from institutions like the World Bank and USAID. Saddled with debts they could not hope to pay, those countries were forced to acquiesce to political pressure from the United States on a variety of issues. Perkins argues in his book that developing nations were effectively neutralized politically, had their wealth gaps driven wider and economies crippled in the long run. In this capacity Perkins recounts his meetings with some prominent individuals, including Graham Greene and Omar Torrijos. Perkins describes the role of an EHM as follows:

Economic hit men (EHMs) are highly-paid professionals who cheat countries around the globe out of trillions of dollars. They funnel money from the World Bank, the U.S. Agency for International Development (USAID), and other foreign "aid" organizations into the coffers of huge corporations and the pockets of a few wealthy families who control the planet's natural resources. Their tools included fraudulent financial reports, rigged elections, payoffs, extortion, sex, and murder. They play a game as old as empire, but one that has taken on new and terrifying dimensions during this time of globalization.

Norf, I read the first time it was released 4 or 5 years ago. I don't remember the exact date but it was on display @ the New Releases

N.O.R.F   

^Not sure when it was published but it was given to me. Not much of a reader. The only time I read is when on a plane and two flights this month meant reading this book.

SeeKer   

Nassir I have a signed copy of that book and I haven't finished it yet. It is pretty dense but full of information I didn't know. Meet the writer too he was interesting to talk to.

Chubacka I picked up Life of Pi the other day but I haven't gotten to it yet since I am reading Marquez's book. I will see if I can pick up White teeth now that you also recommend it. I just finished reading

eat-pray-love.gif.

At first I thought it was the most self indulgent book in the world but I finally got into it by the time she hits India. I highlighted plenty of stuff in the book. I am not sure I will go watch the movie I heard it wasn't as good as the book. Along the same lines of self discovering yourself while traveling I would recommend

0609809547.jpg

Absolutely loved Rita's book when I read it a few years back. Its a must have in the travel genre!

In other news they are finally making Atlas Shrugged into a movie....well at least part one. I am so excited! That is my absolute fav fictional book in the world being that I read it a decade ago and still haven't found any book to unseat it. Can't wait to see what they do with it script wise.

Ps:- JB I notice you posted the same book twice once in May and once in July. Are you still reading it now? icon_razz.gif

chubacka   

^ You don't remember the ending @ Che, was like a punch in the face!

Richard Parker ringing any bells? :D

moby-dick.jpg

Will start this after Ramadan iA, always been meaning to read it!

If you enjoyed The Life of Pi, then you would love The God of Small Things. Oh, there was a time when I'd read almost anything that I could get my hands on, but I hardly read any novels these days. I think it's because of the restrictive taste that one acquires over time. I would not have enjoyed now many of the books that I happen to have liked in the past. It's sad to see a childhood passion disappear as a poor little evanescent partiality, isn't it? Makes one wish to have been Peter Pan. :(

Salma   

Guyz try this book "Buyology" written by Martin Lindstrom.... its a well-written and a valuable book which explains the psychological effects of the branding and advertising in our purchasing and consumption decisions.

Ever asked yourself why you really drink Pepsi and not Coke? why you prefer Kit Kat than Snickers? Why Blackberry not iPhone? Whatever is the product you are buying, nothing is purchased randomly ;)

buyology.jpg