Sign in to follow this  
Jacaylbaro

Mass Marriage In Hargeisa

Ibtisam   

^^^No no, don't take it the wrong way, but sometimes you just suprise me in one way, then you suprise me the other way. Diinca aan kuu raaco ayan weye redface.gif LOL Its all good sis. smile.gif

-Lily-   

Malika, I couldn’t agree more. You will find things like a wedding party to be a frivolous indulgence limited to those who can afford it.

Aaliyah, perhaps the women requested modest things they knew their future husbands could afford? It's not always $$$ and gold.

As for the couples, may Allah bless their marriages.

Aaliyyah   

loool haye bal sii faafaahi ibti aan dhinac aad ii raaacdid ku tusee..

Lily true its not always about the money. May Allah bless their marriages and give them good pious children.

salaam

The concept of shared “mass wedding” seems an alien culture (it was probably seen on TV). Unfortunately it comes off as spectacle made for the news media and a PR stunt for the donating entity (already Reuters is on top of this). The brothers could have been prearranged to accept a small sum of money spent already to have their own unique individualized event or spend the money on whatever they choose.

Ibtisam   

^^^LSK then the company won't get no PR from it. Nothing is for free in life and these brothers poverty is being exploited for advertising iyo PR, small price for paying and providing for barris iyo hilib for a day/ engagement.

Nephissa   

Originally posted by AAliyah416:

Nephy, cuz you have to have your meher for a wedding to be legal..shaash saar is unnecessary if you dnt have the means right?

Aliyah sis, the whole thing is 'unnecessary' if you ask me. I'm not entirely certain that it is money well spent. With the current Somalia situation, there are dad gaajo u dhimaanaayo oo oga baahan caawimaaad, more than nimankan qooqay.

Blessed   

PR stunt? Exploitation? No pride? Money should have been spent elsewhere?

Wallee, wax idin dhaafayaa iska yar. Bal yaa idin waydiistay inaad howlaahaa gashaan. It reminds me of the saying, 'hadaad cay rabtid, guurso'.

I see happy grooms and decent looking event, Illahay ha us wada barakeeyo.

p.s this is a common practice across the Muslim world.

Aaliyyah   

As ibti already said there's advertising purposes behind this cause. But, you are absolutely right there are people in Somalia who need to meet the basic needs of life such as housing, food, and clothing.

dee blessed dadka afka ha qaban. We need to express ourselves...that been said we did make duca for the grooms n the brides.. smile.gif

just out of curiosity what does that saying mean "hadaad cay rabtid, guurso"???

salaam

Ibtisam   

^^It means if you want people to talk and gossip about you, get married and sure enough, everyone will come to your wedding. "nacaskii, maadowba, gaaban, dheer, arabicii, ilkaha weye, galoocey, jaaban, iyo tii buurnedy, gaabnid, buurnaid" etc etc.

Blessed. I'm sure the grooms, their family and bride were happy to get a free wedding, but in the end, it is the company that gets the most out of it. It is common practice across muslim world, but strange concept to Somalis.

Indeed Illahay ha us wada barakeeyo.

P.s. You made that saying up icon_razz.gif It is "hadaad amaan rabtid, dimo" :eek: :D Just kidding

Aaliyyah   

lol@ hadaad amaan rabtid dimo

there's no such saying, stop faking it. And, its "dhimo" with "dh" not dimo...

lool ibti am speechless that you know more somali than me. Girl I thought it meant guurso markaas ayaad in aad caytantid biloowasa hehe which didn't make sense to me loool

salaam

Blessed   

Aaliyah, LOL. Af la is hayaa ma jiro meesha, sweetie.. ana dhankaygaan ka hadlay uun. :D

Ibts.

It's about time ay Somaalidu ilbaxay, it was actually brought to the Somali by an Arab - in Jabouti. Secondly, advertising may have factored into it towards the end (or not) but you can't say the company or owner did it for the PR.

On the maahmaah, I only qouted the necessary part dee. I've many more, ee buug iyo qalin soo qaado. icon_razz.gif

p.s How are you feeling now?

Aaliyyah   

^I have a somali maahmaah book collected by a russian man yet I never came across this particular proverb. Or, maybe I just never read each n every page in the book yet lol..I randomly flip thru... I love somali proverbs....

do share Blessed..

buug iyo qalina wa soo diyaarsaday...