Sign in to follow this  
Libaax-Sankataabte

11 year old gives birth and a 40 year old says he's married to her.

Baluug   

Okaaaaaayyyyyy........So, seeing as you all want to keep me in the dark about this by speaking Somali, would someone care to elaborate on this story? Did the girl have her parents permission to marry this guy? Has she reached puberty? These types of questions need to be answered before I can have an opinion on this matter, and all you guys are just replying with one-liners like "kill him he's a pedophile" and "this is sick" blah blah......

Aaliyyah   

Something is not right with the picture I am getting . How is a 40 yrs old man married to 11 yrs old girl?? How can she hide a big issue like this from her family? And which sheikh in his right mind would marry a child to a 40 yrs old? How can a girl get married without her dad or brother being present to give her away??? :confused:

Something is definitely missing; this is sickening, outrageous story, I cant even imagine at the age of 20 being married to a 40 yrs old man ( maxa isu shegana akhas), let alone being 11 subhanaka yaa ilahi!!. Certainly something is missing in this story, it is possible that the girl was forced to get married to that old man by her family since they might have been in need financially speaking. Allah yaclam laakin bal ii sheega sabab kale ilma yar odey dhali kara uu guursanasao :mad:

wa salaamu alaikum

Originally posted by AAliyah416:

How is a 40 yrs old man married to 11 yrs old girl??

I fail to see the befuddlement expressed by many here. Child marriages are common across the developing world. Somalia is no exception. In fact, child marriage has long illustrious history in our part of the world.

A little while ago, by pure dint of luck, I cought National Geographic program on the telly. It was on Ethiopia. One of the subjects they touched on was how poverty forces families to give up their daughters -- at ever increasingly young age -- to wealthy men. Destitution and lack of oppurtunity makes it compelling beyond reason for parents to give up their daughters.

I don't know the circumstances of this particular case but I doubt it was unusual in any significant way.

Paragon   

^^ The dismay comes from the fact the age of immaturity is increased in the Diaspora, while the age of maturity for girls is decreasing in our homeland. A sort of socio-spatial drift in marital prospects dependent of age? :(

Naasir   

Am amazed most of peeps are jumping to the wagon.

Is this discussion based on Islamic view or Common sense?

If It is common sense I rest my case and it ain't worth commenting.

Islamically? If a Woman/Man reach their puberty it is allowed for them to get married and have babies. Case closed.

Naden   

^ Nothing Islamic about marriage being okay upon puberty; puberty is simply a physiological stage of development and some girls as young as 8 or 9 can reach it. That doesn't mean they're ready to be wives or mothers, these things are set by social mores and ethos. A society can decide that children need to mature mentally and psychologically (not just grow pubes) before they can raise families.

Naasir   

Nothing Islamic?

Islam is based on the word of our Lord and his beloved Prophet SCWS. Sociology has no place in Islam, fundamental values to specific people or culture have nothing to do what Islam taught us or stands for.