Physically Active? How Your State Rates

LuCkY   

Physically Active? How Your State Rates

Most States Don't Meet Minimum Physical Activity Requirements

By Jennifer Warner

Reviewed By Michael Smith, MD

on Monday, August 18, 2003

WebMD Medical News

Aug. 18, 2003 -- Even with new guidelines that ease up on what it means to be physically active, most Americans still fail to meet the minimum activity requirements recommended by the federal government.

A new CDC report shows that 55% of American adults simply didn't move enough in 2001 to meet the minimum recommendation of 30 minutes of moderate-intensity physical activity on most days of the week. And that's including the time adults spent in leisure activities that aren't likely to cause them to break a sweat, such as vacuuming, gardening, and walking.

Although the percentage that met the minimum physical activity requirements is up dramatically from a whopping 74% that failed to do so in 2000, researchers say that increase probably does not reflect an actual increase in physical activity.

Instead, the increase is likely due to changes in the way the annual Behavioral Risk Factor Surveillance System (BRFSS) survey was conducted. In 2001, researchers included more lifestyle physical activity questions to include household and transportation activities that were excluded in previous surveys.

The 2001 survey also asked participants to describe their physical and lifestyle activities in a usual week, rather than reporting the top two activities in the preceding month. Researchers say the change may have led to increased reporting of less frequent physical activities that might have been missed in previous surveys.

The states that had the most physically active residents were Wyoming, Washington, and Alaska. About 55-56% of the people in each of these states met or exceeded the U.S. physical activity recommendations of more than 30 minutes of any physical activity more than five days a week or more than 20 minutes of vigorous physical activity on more than three days per week.

The least active state was Kentucky, where only 29% of its residents met the minimum physical activity requirements. Nebraska and Louisiana rounded out the bottom three with 34% and 35% of their residents, respectively, following the physical activity recommendations.

Percentage of Adults Who Met the Minimum U.S. Physical Activity Recommendations*

Alabama

Alaska

Arizona

Arkansas

California

Colorado

Connecticut

Delaware

District of Columbia

Florida

Georgia

Hawaii

Idaho

Illinois

Indiana

Iowa

Kansas

Kentucky

Louisiana

Maine

Maryland

Massachusetts

Michigan

Minnesota

Mississippi

Missouri

Montana

Nebraska

Nevada

New Hampshire

New Jersey

New Mexico

New York

North Carolina

North Dakota

Ohio

Oklahoma

Oregon

Pennsylvania

Rhode Island

South Carolina

South Dakota

Tennessee

Texas

Utah

Vermont

Virginia

Washington

West Virginia

Wisconsin

Wyoming

TOTAL

*Any physical activity more than 30 minutes a day, most days of the week or more than 20 minutes of vigorous-intensity physical activity more than 3 days a week.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

SOURCES: Morbidity and Mortality Weekly Report, CDC, Aug. 15, 2003.

All I can say is since I came to the USA from Europe, I can only see fat people of all shapes and sizes. They on TV and on the streets, Maliz included!. Damn... icon_razz.gif

Peace.

LuCkY   

^^^^^I wonder how the UK rates...hhhmmm.

ContinentaL BatcheLor i wouLd suggest a change of atmosphere... IMMEDIATELY !!! Damn...not even one person in sight is moderate? :eek:

oh much better much much better.....although i must admit it's not due to any conserted effort by the govnt to get the population more active, rather more to do with the fact that the portions of food served here are smaller, less quality, even the coach potatos here get tired of terrestrial Tv after awhile and feel teh need to go out and shop, and fiannly the most important factor that explains why the brit's are not so fatter than there american counter parts is there obession with walking the Dog???

In every whether, rain or shunshyne, on pavements or country parks, you are garanteed to see someone waking there Dogg :confused: :confused:

LuCkY   

Oh but this government is because the rates of obesity are rising in numbers-contributing to more heaLth probLems.

The foods served here-the majority are fat-fat-fat.There are fast food restaurants every where you turn and deep fried things-aLL over the pLace.

The americans are dog Lovers as weLL but i dont think they waLk their dogs Like the brits do...oh weLL.

yeah but com'on in america the problem is really notice able.

One report put the level of obesity in americans ((adults and children)) into strikingly simplistic terms.

Apparantly there is enough excess weight on you yank's to Feel the Grand Canion, from top to bottom , 4 TIMES OVER!!!!! Daaaaaaaam

Nomads you are like what you eat so watch you dont eat like a whale

smile.gif

LuCkY   

Apparantly there is enough excess weight on you yank's to Feel the Grand Canion, from top to bottom , 4 TIMES OVER!!!!! Daaaaaaaam

ALL i can say is :eek: :eek: :eek: .

Nomads you are like what you eat so watch you dont eat like a whale

Ohh but i beg to differ. That is not aLways the case. Some is due to sLow metaboLism and genetics.

You shouLd see my sister she eats Like nobodys business(a whoLe Lot) and doesnt gain a pound rather Loses it. She eats more than aLL of my sibLings combined and she is Like 96Lbs. :eek:

True true, am in a similar boat there. But i think the general population that we should speak about have no excuse, the eat far too much and doo far to little hence the obesity.

LuCkY   

I dont think you are aLone-most maLi guys if not aLL seem to have a probLem gaining some weight-it wouLd be for their own good.I sypathize for them.

Yes thats true however its not aLways about the quantity of food that is consumed but rather how heaLthy it is. Most peopLe faiL to Look at what they eat.

hacker1   

lucky, skinny is healthy. do you know how much money americans spend to shed these fat lbs! alot of money. i rather be skinny than be a fat pig. also you study did not mention the state where the fatest people in america live! and that is mn!

You right lucky i can eat as much as i want but i wont breach my standard Weight average and i am thankfull for that. I know how difficult it is for some people who feel abit over weight and go to extreme lengths to lose the excess

Xafsa   

heeeey...heeeey!!! people stop bashing the states. We're not lazy...more like large and in charge! ;) Food...its why god made taste buds and man made elastic waste bands! :D