Sign in to follow this  
Ibtisam

EID TV show

Ibtisam   

Hello people.

Islam channel has asked our team to do an extra show on Monday - an Eid special. I need to find Muslim guests from a range of nationalities /cultural backgrounds to come on and chat about how Eid is celebrated in their culture. I already have the Asian and other cultures, but I need a representative for my own community, who seem to be no where these days. So please if you or your family or friends have ever wanted to be on TV this is your chance - Anybody who is friendly and chatty and can come to the studio and chat. They'll need to be able to make it to the studio for 2.30pm to 4pm Monday.

Sorry this is for the Londoners, and there is no pay involved. (It is a voluntary organisation)

if you can't make it or your not a londoner plz give me ideas on what traditional somalis do on EID, other than go mosque and eat. your ideas and suggestions are much needed

thanks in advance

Ibtisam   

i can't believe no one wants to represent their "beloved culture" and appear on TV.

come on ppl help me out here

Urban   

ibtisam, i'd love to help out but i dont live in London, about 2/3 hours away...plus i got lectures Mon afternoon :confused: :confused: sorry

if you wanna know what we do, its exactly what you said...eat, mosque, and eat again.

Yonis   

ibtisam

if you can't make it or your not a londoner plz give me ideas on what traditional somalis do on EID, other than go mosque and eat. your ideas and suggestions are much needed

You can add getting new cloths for both Eids, especially for children and performing cultural dances, such as, Wilwile, Saylici, Dhaanto, Kabeebeey, Gableey-Shimbir, Suroow…. I can’t remember more. You can also go to this site. Check here Scroll down until you see “The Eid Festivity†but be careful, the writer is mixing up a lot of things. Anyway, I hope that is gonna help you.

Ibtisam   

cheers guys. wise man for a sec i though u were making those things up, till i went to the link.

thanks again :D

i just though since the people don't know what wilwil and kilkil and whatever else,and i can't demostrate i'll just stick to saying somalis eat bariis and pasto

Ibtisam   

After the morning’s sermon, people would start leaving the place but not before hugging, lots of handshaking and exchanging complimentary words with cheerful faces. Soon then Ulema, led by your grandfather, would gather under the shade of the big trees of Dilla valley. They would make a big circle and start performing the traditional sufi dance known as dikr, while chanting qasa'id in praise of God, Prophet Mohammed and Sheikh Abdul Kadir Al Jeelani, the founder of the Qadiriya order to which most of the Somali people adhere. The dance itself had such beauty and rhythm that we children couldn't wait to join in. A cleric with the best voice would sing lines of some famous poems, while the rest of the congregation repeated the chorus. Then they would sway back and forth, bowing down until their torsos became parallel to the ground, then they would straighten up. They begin with a slow motion, with one or several of them singing some beautiful lines.

Then they hastened their movements, all chanting Allah while bowing down and Allah while straightening up. They continued with this soul purifying dance for sometime all reaching spiritual ecstasy with the swaying and "Allah, Allah, Allah, Allah" ... amid the ululation of women, watching from the sidelines.

As soon as the dikr was finished, men and women started performing cultural dances, such as the legendary wilwile and women’s colourful heello yar-yar. This made the Eid a fanciful cultural festival that was equally enjoyed by men, women and children, as well as elderly people.

are you guys serious or pulling my leg? :confused:

Ibtisam   

^^the cheek of it.

honestly it went great. ditch the whole culture theme, instead people where talking about Haji, with live coverage from Arafah.

anyway thanks for everything to those that gave ideas and thanks for nothing to the rest of you useless, unhelpful ppl icon_razz.gif

have a wonderful EID, may allah bless you all :D