Laba-X

Amaan Dumar

Xoogsade   

Originally posted by Socod_badne:

Somali poems aren't really "disrespectful" of somali women, they simply prefer them to she-camels. This is what's eating them up. I don't blame them. More poems are dedicated to she-camels than to somali women. No wonder the poor things detest their men.

Perhaps the She-camel was what enabled young somali men of yore to marry the woman they wanted the most and without it(she-camel), their wishes may never have come true. So love and praise of she-camel equated love of women :D:D

The main reason for earning wealth and working hard into the forties was to land that woman you wanted, what more praise could they ask for?

Hunguri   

Omg!!

Comparing preciouse,Somali sweet sisters to a (she camel), I dont think this would work man smile.gif . How about mentioning (Dayax shan iyo tobanaay, dahab lagu mitaalyeey, D'ada tii 17 Duca loogu darayeey Indho Deeraleeyeey) Im sure, talking about the eyes of a "She Deer" would suit the "women thread" ;) !!!!

Xoogsade   

^ ^ What should I try again? Do I need to justify the she-camel praise? History teaches us not long ago one had to have hundred she-camels to get married or some paid that much in exchange for a woman's hand. Socod-Badne misrepresented the love-affair between earlier somalis and their she-camels, they worked hard only to give their life'work in return for a woman.

See, No somali man has to pay that much for a woman today. They believe in the equality scheme and ask for equal contribution like 50/50 at best if not paid for by the woman(if the guy is afmiinshaar). If she loves the guy, hasoo booddo is the mantra.

Hunguri   

Xoogsade smile.gif ,

Saxiib, the modern Somali youth will hardly understand the "she Camel" beign applied on marriages or camels beign paid in exchange of a women!! Waar hadda saaxiib cidiba geel ma haysato lool. And, no Somali family will accept swap their daughters just a 1000 or even 2,000 camels. How about a little beautiful diamond ring shaped your name like (Hunguri) in her 2nd middle finger smile.gif . ????

Xoogsade   

Hunguri, I am aware of that. I was justifying the praise somalis of yore heaped on their beloved animals. Trying to highlight the historical facts misrepresented by Socod-Badne and putting that history into perspective.

And I agree with you, women affair got simpler nowadays. It doesn't require that much work to impress them. Some white teeth, a cool slung, few funny jokes and they are all yours. It doesn't even have to be a diamond ring but a gold chain with her name on it tata :D Why work for forty years only to give away all your wealth and start anew again huh? lol.

Xoogsade   

^At least you are not worried about me now and think of me as being outdated and some hopeless Oday who barely managed to write few sentences. I could tell how you were concerned for me from your desperate attempts to keep me informed of the new era and diamond rings :D:D Worry no more mate.

PS: I have few cows somewhere in somalia given to me as a gift by my abti once I visited his home town. I hear they are thriving and multiplying. May be I should try reliving the old ways and give meher as those cows in the future huh?

Cara.   

Xoogsade, now who's misrepresenting facts? Men didn't work 40 years to win the hand of a particular woman they cared about. If they did, they'd be marrying other 40 year olds. Men worked 40 years, married a girl 20 years their junior (often in her teens), worked a little harder, married another one, travelled to a neighboring village and acquired a third, maybe divorced the problematic 2nd one, paraded their sons in front of their male peers, and generally didn't treat their women with any more consideration than they gave their she-camels.

I'd rather have the funny jokes, thanks.

Originally posted by Cara:

Xoogsade, now who's misrepresenting facts? Men didn't work 40 years to win the hand of a particular woman they cared about. If they did, they'd be marrying other 40 year olds. Men worked 40 years, married a girl 20 years their junior (often in her teens), worked a little harder, married another one, travelled to a neighboring village and acquired a third, maybe divorced the problematic 2nd one, paraded their sons in front of their male peers, and generally didn't treat their women with any more consideration than they gave their she-camels.

^^plus left all the hard work to their wives and idly sat on in teahouses narrating camel-wrestling stories, and reciting poems full of she-camel praises.

A long time ago, Dheriyo-dhoob, a well know Somali storyteller, was asked about many things and he took, it was reported, sufficient time to answer all the question asked except the ones relating to the womenfolk. To those, he simply retorted: Waxa iga badiya ninka waxay dhoobi dhugta ama waxay dhahaysa dhegeysta. Waxayse ku dhaanta, he advised, inaan dan iyo heello toona laga gelin!

Ducaale-sheekeeye, another Somali legend, was queried about women and he said wax walba nabsiinahay kaga dareen! These are just snippets yaa Cara...more to come.

Xoogsade, I was gonna argue that women had a respectable place in Somali literature but Cara converted me now :D .

Xoogsade   

^ Xiin, Cara qatar waaye, I like her already :D waa ka aamusay meesha. Share with us your impressive wisdom bro. I would rather watch than talk in presence of reputable men.

:D:D

Cara.   

LOL. Xiin, Af-Carabiga maa iga daysid? But please, do share more. If being a Somali woman has taught me anything, it's how to cultivate a thick skin :D

By the way, I am not so foolish as to suggest that men sat around and did no work, not in the baadiye anyway (that's miyiga to our Northern brethren :D ). Certainly the women worked harder, but life was a struggle for everyone. A man may spend 20 years acquiring 100 she-camels, 3 wives, and a handful of children, only to lose almost everything during a bad jiilaal. Perhaps Xoogsade's nostalgic reminiscences are merely the romantic projections of a thoroughly modern mind, yearning for that era when "men were men and women were women". But alas, I'm all too familiar with the cruel reality of life in the good old days. Wili boorkii Boosaaso aga-gaarkeeda cagaha kama jafin, marka geelkaaga baahi u dhintay iska haysoo i sii silsilad dahab ah!