Sign in to follow this  
Thinkerman

Typical British Weather

Snowfalls cause more travel misery

Londoners struggle past Winston Churchill's statue

Snow and freezing conditions are continuing to cause travel disruption across the country.

The rail and road networks are struggling to cope with the cold snap and more delays are expected in the evening rush hour.

The travel misery deepened on Wednesday with severe frost overnight and fresh snowfalls throughout the morning.

Snow is expected to be replaced by frost and ice in the next few days, say weather forecasters.

: Winter wonderland

You sent us your photos of the snow-covered UK

Temperatures fell as low as minus 15C in the Scottish Highlands overnight.

And most areas of England and Wales have yet to rise above freezing on Wednesday.

Residents in the North East, East Anglia and the South East woke up to a covering of snow.

London was hit by heavy snowfall during the rush hour and throughout the morning.

Rail passengers face more disruption

Forecasters say 5cm could settle in the capital and the South East, with as much as 10cm on higher ground, such as the North Downs in Surrey.

On mainline railways, a combination of the severe weather and signalling problems led to delays for many travellers.

Thameslink is running a reduced service between Bedford and Brighton in both directions.

And South West Trains' services between London Waterloo and Hampton Court are disrupted by a shuttle service between Surbiton and Hampton Court.

Breakdowns

All services from Waterloo are disrupted and delayed by up to 25 minutes.

A South West Trains spokeswoman told BBC News Online: "We're hoping to pull the delays back to 20 minutes by evening rush hour."

Snow caused the line between Hexham and Newcastle in the North East to be closed, leading to cancellations and delays on Arriva Trains Northern services.

In southern England, signalling problems near Reading in Berkshire resulted in cancellations and delays to services run by Thames Trains, First Great Western, Virgin Cross Country and South West Trains.

Other signalling problems affected some Connex services in Kent, South Central services in south London, and Central Trains' services in the Birmingham area.

TALKING POINT

Winter weather: Your experiences

It seems a south east phenomenon that people forget how to drive safely when there's snow and ice

John, England

Join the debate

On the roads, the AA dealt with almost 2,000 breakdowns an hour as cars refused to start in freezing conditions.

Kerry Richardson, director of AA Road Services, said fresh snow on already icy roads would cause havoc with traffic.

"We would advise motorists to think twice about all non-essential trips while the winter weather continues," he said.

Traffic heading to the South West was paralysed by an accident in Wiltshire, caused by the icy conditions.

Conditions have caused accidents and delays

The A303 between the Deptford interchange and the Winterbourne Stoke junction was closed earlier this morning, an AA Roadwatch spokeswoman said.

An accident caused by weather conditions on the M27 in Hampshire between junctions five and eight also caused major delays.

In Scotland, traffic on the A90 in Aberdeenshire was forced to slow right down due to the ice.

Long delays are reported on the M25 in Surrey near Reigate, due to an accident clockwise.

The southbound A11 is blocked at Wymondham in Norfolk.

Ice dangers

In Kent, Bluewater shopping centre has closed due to heavy snow.

BBC forecaster Phil Avery said: "Towards the weekend it will get a bit milder, coming from the north west.

"Motorists should watch out for icy patches on untreated roads. People in rural areas are going to have to watch out. "

On Tuesday, thousands of rail passengers were delayed when the combination of freezing temperatures and signalling failures brought severe disruption to the network.

ScarFace   

First time it snowed IN LONDON UK

FOR YEARSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS am like wooowwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww

SO LETS CHERISH IT YEA

at last i can roll up a snow ball lol

:D:D:D:D

You nomads are rejoicing in this insanly cold weather???

You Hooligans lol. And there was me thinking that winter was over and spring will sonn be upon us. Oh well No footie for a while then :rolleyes:

you should come to the north....walaahi wax yer hadii deriishada iska furtid, after six min you can´t close it, if you just go and visit your next door neighbour, maxaa gaaree adoos diifkaaga qalaalay.And some of you say that you like winter? :confused:

Hibaad   

The first time it snowed in london for ages. But i rather it was raining as usual we use to that atleast. Same here bro here i was thinking we haven't seen winter this yr i guess i was wrong.

ScarFace looool i hope it wasn't u them ppl who were throwing snow bolls at ppl :mad: .

Loooool.....tell them sthlm lady,,ni99as aint seen shydh if they havent been in the north,,,they snow is overwhelming,,,and not only that,,,this seems to be the coldest winter ever,,and they be like whoa over some lil snow in uk,,,dhamaantiin horta kaaleya and then talk about coldness, one big SOMALI LUv,,,,

Mizz iz out

And some of you say that you like winter?

I hate winter, and i always did. Its not that it snows much here in Virginia-----but there is this annoying freezing-wind (it sometimes goes well under 30) and it instantly freezes you. ARRRGHHH!!!!!

In Nairobi i use to go-out wearing just *mawaciis* ( smile.gif ) and *BUUME* and not even so much, feel a bit cold. Kuleel aaba marwalba i qaban jiray. HaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaH.

NoVa   

STHLM_Lady i know i hate when it' rains and everything becomes muddy and slipper..U wish u'll just stay under ur bed and not go outside...

To London Folks..i c for a change you guys had snow..well snow ain't all fun..specially when you have a whole 3 month' period..we just had the worst storms in 4 years..and it was devestating...more accidents than eva b4..which ain't good to drive or even walk.

Ariadne   

Maan I cannot beleive you guys are complaining about a little snow in the U.K. You haven't seen any snow, frost or anything of the like if you haven't lived through canadian winter. When I first moved here we lived in a small town called Tweed that is in the far north of ontario. I woke up every morning and my eye lashes would be frozen...I wouldn't be able to open my eyes unless I rubbed them for 5 mins :eek: . And for the past week its been snowing buckets!

ScarFace   

MUNA sista ofcourse why not since we didnt get dat much snow for da last 10 yrs in london. so i was like cherish dis moment it mite not come thru again. even built a snow man looooooooooooool redface.gifredface.gif

Nazra   

It been years since i saw a snow...thank god this wheather it's PERFECT can get HOTT at times. Poor brits i've heard this on the news.

Saanjo   

Certainly it was the first time that it snowed in England since I came to this country. The news has been saying also it was the first time for 25 years. Since 1978 there has not been a snow as heavy as this but thank god it is over for the time being but only Allah know whether it will come back

Blessed   

aaaah it has all melted and disappeard :( I was really looking forward to making a snow man. seriously... I love snow! I mean if your gonna freeze your **** off, you might as well enjoy it!