Sign in to follow this  
Pujah

Career Pitfalls Women Face and How to Avoid Them

Pujah   

Career Pitfalls Women Face and How to Avoid Them

By Suze Orman

I always wanted to be a brain surgeon, but when I was in school all I got was a lot of discouragement. Girls just didn’t do that.

Then, after spending most of my twenties as a waitress, I landed my first “business world†job basically because I was female. Despite the fact that I had no qualifications to speak of, a major Wall Street brokerage gave me a start in their broker training program. To this day I am convinced I was given the job merely to fill some quota. At the same time, you can be sure that absolutely no one in that office—yes, they were all men—expected me to be successful.

Nor did I stop feeling the effects of the gender gap in the ‘90s, when things began to go really well for me. In 1997 I wrote The Nine Steps to Financial Freedom, which was all about how emotions rule what you do with your money. Article after article took jabs at the book, claiming that emotions have nothing to do with investing and that my book was nothing but psychobabble. Even as the book went on to become the #1 nonfiction hardback of 1998, I never heard or saw a positive review.

Yet at about the time when the book passed 2 million in hardback sales, articles started popping up everywhere talking about a hot “new†area of study being pursued by mostly male economists: Behavioral economics—which, at its core, is simply the study of how emotion affects our money decisions. I couldn’t help but wonder how much more critical acceptance my book would have received if I had published it under the name “Sam Orman.†read here

Castro   

Suze Orman is a genius. She's the Oprah of the financial world and this article is another gem of her ideas.

Originally posted by Hibo:

It doesn't apply to me... sis...

Indeed. One needs a career for the article to apply.

Pucca   

dude, thats like seriously uncalled for eh

:rolleyes: *shakes head*

dawoco   

Fidel

quote:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

SOL golden rule 7 - Flaming: absolutely no personal attacks (direct or indirect). Criticize ideas, not people.

I wonder where the edit/delete happy moderators have all gone off to. They are usually very prompt in making sure everyone follows the rules and all :D

Castro   

Originally posted by dawoco:

SOL golden rule 7 - Flaming: absolutely no personal attacks (direct or indirect). Criticize ideas, not people.

A flame? How do you figure, dawoco? The original poster's topic was career pitfalls for women and how to avoid them. A reply came that says it doesn't apply to them. Yet another reply to the reply said it doesn't apply because a career is a prerequisite for the pitfalls. I'm not sure I see your point.

Edited to add: I'd rather not begin a war of words here as it is neither necessary nor informative.

dawoco   

Fidel

A flame? How do you figure, dawoco? The original poster's topic was career pitfalls for women and how to avoid them. A reply came that says it doesn't apply to them. Yet another reply to the reply said it doesn't apply because a career is a prerequisite for the pitfalls. I'm not sure I see your point.

Edited to add: I'd rather not begin a war of words here as it is neither necessary nor informative.

lol fidel you don't wanna begin war of words? You sure? You only wanna keep this topic informative I guess, and it has nothing to do with cowardice of course! The same cowardice that had you insulting my sister and editing your topic afterwards is influencing your need to keep out of a war. But you are fresh out of luck today son, as you have clearly broken the rules and have not got the oppertunity to edit either.

Now let me tell you how you are inflaming. A nomad has replied giving her opinion, although she has added that it doesn't concern her. YOU have replied, mocking that nomad with a quote and that "Indeed. One needs a career for the article to apply." Unless i'm over-estimating your comprehension abilities, which i'm sure i'm not, you can see how your post is inflamatory.

But then of course, i'm only human and I could be wrong about you. So let me write everything for you in far weeyn. Your reply was written to inflame the nomad in question and provoke her into an argument, though i'm sure your intentions are clear to only you

Now, lets get down to business, why haven't sol rules been upheld so far? Unless one set of rules apply to some and a total set are reserved for others, of course ;)

Pujah   

It doesn't apply to me... sis... but I think this woman thingy is getting abit toooooooo monotonous!
If a woman doesn't get something she blames it on sexism, if she gets something she blames it on sexism....
I mean common... don't u all believe in mere luck any more??

I can see why you may conclude that from the article. However, gender inequality is a serious problem that is faced by 90% of educated women. It’s no secret that men are paid more and promoted to more interesting positions not because of their hard work but because they are simply men. Few years ago I read an article that said women are paid 70 cent for every dollar earned by men, now that is a big gap if you ask me. And believe it or not it does apply to you and I and all women for that matter. We live in a dog eat dog world aka men’s world.

This is precisely why we need to learn how to play their game and learn to think like men. Ex men will never b!tch about how he is not paid enough etc etc, he will simply ask for formal review and present all his accomplishment and ask for a raise. Women on the other hand will think just because she has been working hard the boss will notice and compensate for her work. Maybe in a million years someone will take notice.

P.S. this article doesn’t say much about ‘career pitfalls and how to avoid them’ but the title caught my attention and its something worth discussing.

Pujah   

Originally posted by Fidel:

quote:

Fidel if I were you, I would take that comment back and apologize to the sista. Unless of course you know hibo very well and know she wont take offense. :D

Castro   

Originally posted by Alaina:

Fidel if I were you, I would take that comment back and apologize to the sista. Unless of course you know hibo very well and know she wont take offense.
:D

You're right, Alaina. I apologize to you sister Hibo if my reply was offensive or derogatory. Whether I meant it or not, it hit a raw nerve with someone and the end result is the same.

As for public defender dawoco, please be advised your contumelious remarks have not gone unnoticed. Our response will come at a time and a place of our choosing.

dawoco   

I apologize to you sister Hibo if my reply was offensive or derogatory.

Fidel, i'm glad that you have admitted your wrongdoing through your apology. You have proven that humbleness isn't reserved for great men only, and i commend you on that.

As for public defender dawoco, please be advised your contumelious remarks have not gone unnoticed.
Our
response will come at a time and a place of
our
choosing.

Good God, there are more of you?! My lad, your croonies have left you alone to fend for yourself. Learn from it, use it for personal growth, instead of dwelling on comebacks!

I'm honoured that you have been looking up big words and improving your eloquence with me in mind, keep up the good work, it is never too late to become a better man...

*Intresting though, that other topics are immidiately edited at the hint of an attack, but this one has been left in tact. I'm just glad Fidel was smart enough to realise that he had to apologise, once he was put on the spot...

Alaina! would u rather be still waiting tables! i dont think so. n i believe, most of the guys there might not have even waited tables but got the job cuz of the color of their skin!

thats why we have affrmative action in the country. its the law and plz believe, u wont have got it, if this law didnt exist!

about merits of the minority, this country has an establishment! u either kiss them! or u let your words do the talking! thankfully, yours did hit the target finally..!

back in college, i got the picture that joining clubs like faternities was future deposite for an acceptance into the establihment circles... so, i believe your headaches would have been less if u were associated with an organization.

unfortunately, we nomads still have their clan as their only organization! sometimes, a talent needs a strong support group behind it to give that lil push ova the hump...!

Castro   

Originally posted by dawoco:

Good God, there are more of you?!

No, it's just me. It was the royal WE and OUR to you, the subject. I'm glad you caught the implicit reference. ;)

Castro   

Originally posted by sheherazade:

Fidel, don't mess with Hibo, she'll make u change yr nick to Castro.
;)

Careful there Sheherazade. You might be accused of anti-semitism around here with that comment. If you know what I mean? ;)

Fidel..that was good of you. :cool:

I wonder where the edit/delete happy moderators have all gone off to. They are usually very prompt in making sure everyone follows the rules and all

why haven't sol rules been upheld so far? Unless one set of rules apply to some and a total set are reserved for others, of course

Intresting though, that other topics are immidiately edited at the hint of an attack, but this one has been left in tact.

Such petty digs are neither clever nor useful. The Mods have lives outside of SOL. Clearly, we can't be here all the time.