Sign in to follow this  
Sherban Shabeel

Egypt cleric 'to ban full veil'

Egypt's highest Muslim authority has said he will issue a religious edict against the growing trend for full women's veils, known as the niqab.

Sheikh Mohamed Tantawi, dean of al-Azhar university, called full-face veiling a custom that has nothing to do with the Islamic faith.

Although most Muslim women in Egypt wear the Islamic headscarf, increasing numbers are adopting the niqab as well.

The practice is widely associated with more radical trends of Islam.

The niqab question reportedly arose when Sheikh Tantawi was visiting a girls' school in Cairo at the weekend and asked one of the students to remove her niqab.

The Egyptian newspaper al-Masri al-Yom quoted him expressing surprise at the girl's attire and telling her it was merely a tradition, with no connection to religion or the Koran.

I do respect Tantaawi and almost always agree his decrees, though others may badmouth him, accusing him a sheekh that is used by Xusni Mubaarak's regime against Akhwaan Muslimiin party -- nevertheless, he does have my admiration, laakiinse I don't know about this.

It shouldn't be his shuqul who should wear indhashareer or not.

UZTAAD   

Sheikh Mohamed Tantawi, dean of al-Azhar university, called full-face veiling a custom that has nothing to do with the Islamic faith.

if it is so why islamists in somalia are forcing the women to wear this ugly piece of clothing.

the women's face is not cawra & it not supposed to be covered.

Ibtisam   

Because they want to wear it, why do people care so much about what women wear or rather not wear. Get a life and leave them to it.

BTW the Culama are split on whether the face is cawra or not, in fact some camps even recommend it, along with hand gloves. There is nothing evil about what certain individuals choice to do in the believe that it will make them better Muslims or pleasing to Allah, so why do people feel it is necessary to dictate to them what they can do or not do.

Oh and UZTAAD: There is nothing ugly about the clothing or niqabs, maybe you severe dislike stemps from what it prevents you from seeing. As for the Islamists who FORCE women, you are the flip side, for you are trying to FORCE others to take it off. Different side of the same coin.

Malika   

"The niqab question reportedly arose when Sheikh Tantawi was visiting a girls' school in Cairo at the weekend and asked one of the students to remove her niqab."

On which authority does the Sheikh have,asking this young woman to remove her clothing?

What was he wearing,I wonder.Would he had liked if someone asked him to remove his khameez?

I was having this conversation with someone yesterday,told her what if I were against her wearing tight jeans,how would she feel.She said you have no right to determine what I wear,I said ..aha! you just did,you just assumed you have the right to be against what another woman wants to wear.

UZTAAD   

Originally posted by *Ibtisam:

BTW the Culama are split on whether the face is cawra or not, in fact some camps even recommend it, along with hand gloves. There is nothing evil about what certain individuals choice to do in the believe that it will make them better Muslims or pleasing to Allah, so why do people feel it is necessary to dictate to them what they can do or not do.

Oh and UZTAAD: There is nothing ugly about the clothing or niqabs, maybe you severe dislike stemps from what it prevents you from seeing. As for the Islamists who FORCE women, you are the flip side, for you are trying to FORCE others to take it off. Different side of the same coin.

:D it is true Ulimas are split in this Issue but as far as the somalis are concerned this traditions is imported from the gulf countries in 80s & 90s

but the sufis who are majority in somalia do not tell their followers to wear it,and do not regard the face and palms to be cawra.

Ibtisam   

^^^What has Somali tradition got to do with the deen. :confused:

As for the sufis, that is not a great surprise, after all Sufism is more spiritual and centres on dikir and "what’s in the heart/ soul" rather than the dress or actions, it is also the second most lineate sect.

Sufism is no longer the majority with the Somalis, and particularly in North it cease to exist, all that grave chanting and sacrificing, mawliid and all the typical celebrations have gone.

Zinki   

The so called sheikh and his likes who are ideological-prostitutes for regimes that are unislamic in essence, have no business to tell our noble niqab -wearing women to expose themselves.

Cawaale   

..if you go with waves every time you hear such a fatwas, you would go nuts for sure. too many fatwas.

"I understand the religion better than you and your parents

that was uncalled for.

if you are wearing niqab now. what would you do if you were pretty

that was hash.

YET the Imam knows what is he doing..hope he was misquoted or something.

Cawaale   

Originally posted by Zinki:

The so called sheikh and his likes who are ideological-prostitutes for regimes that are unislamic in essence, have no business to tell our noble niqab -wearing women to expose themselves.

wow wow wow..Watch your mouth. that is an Imam you are talking about