Suldaanka

Xudaydi is in hospital with COVID-19

galbeedi   

Rag waa raggii hore hadalna waa intuu yidhi. 

Ah, I feel young again.

By the way, our Somali women always smell good. 

There are a lot of young guns coming up. Hargeisa is assuming as the centre for the revival of the Somali arts music, books, poets. The best thing about this is that the great majority are under 30 years of age. 

There was a time when there was a huge question mark hanging over the viability and the future of the Somali Music and Poetry as the old guards like Hadraawi, Terrabi, Gaariye, Biddeh Bros ,Ganey, Qays etc were getting old and there was no new blood to hand the baton to.  

But with Weedhsame, Laabsaalax, Xadaari and host of others new poets are taking the helm in Hargeisa, the dhaqan is alive and kicking, and probably with a lot more force and determination to succeed.   

This young man is Fish*Chips generations born & bred overseas but he keeping the culture alive. He is one of the best Oud players you will see/hear and also has a good voice. It is very hard for anyone to sing like the Mohamed Moogeh but he comes close.

• Thanks 1

The legends in one picture. These men and women were the vanguards of the Somali music at their day and age. 

Originally part of Radio Hargeisa's Walaalaha Hargeisa (Hargeisa Brothers Band).

From the picture, along with Xudeydi, you have Xaaji Basbaas (One of the original male acting talents), Dacar (Poet, Actor and singer), the GOATs Axmed Mooge and Kuluc... also in the picture are Hibo Nuura and Sahra Ahmed (AuN).

EVa3xDQWoAA-gBj?format=jpg&name=900x900

• Thanks 1

galbeedi   
10 hours ago, maakhiri1 said:

Galbeedi,  we should train future generations about this traditional music, have music schools.

These are very talented young men. Learning the Oud and the Somali 'Qarami" music is about learning culture and tradition. Our history, tradition, love stories, poetry and culture are buried in these songs.

Since our alphabet was written later than most nations, our oral way of transmitting , history  , poetry and songs kept us to have culture and tradition. Even In America, the blues sang by blacks for a century carries their values than gangster wrap.

When I lister the late Magool (AHN) sing " Webiyo Isku ooman" , I look back the man who composed the song, the great Huseen Aw Faarah. In the seventies , when he visited Khartoum , Sudan, he went to see  the waterfalls where the blue and the white Nile meet. He observed that as the rivers crush and meet , they seem to pause for few seconds. Huseen was astonished by the pause of the movements, and thought they might be kissing or hugging, but then again he decided that these rivers might be thirsty and drinking from one another . 

Thus he composed this song: Webiyo Isku ooman.

Way isku oomanaayeen oo way kala cabayaan.

How about Hadraawi seeing his mother visinting him in Baydhabo where he was detained by the military government in the seventies and compose " Hooyoy La'aanta.

galbeedi   
9 hours ago, Suldaanka said:

This young man is Fish*Chips generations born & bred overseas but he keeping the culture alive. He is one of the best Oud players you will see/hear and also has a good voice. It is very hard for anyone to sing like the Mohamed Moogeh but he comes close.

Certainly he has the voice of Mooge, little bit deeper which a good sign of mature man.

I guess, Dacar is still alive and kicking in Hargeisa. The problem is these generation of Somalia needs something great than their hometown to aspire them. "Walaalha Hargeisa" was inspired for the longing of Somali independence in late fifties and early sixties , and the later generation were inspired by the longing of Somalis under one big five star.

To see big talented young men and composers to shine they need something bigger than themselves. Since we Somalis are not aspiring to reach the moon, we need something else that brings our poetry out.

Certainly Hargeisa has a talent for culture and literature, yet it is difficult to export and share with other Somalis due to politics.

We were called the nation poets. Here in my own town the poet laureate of the city is a Somali man, as well us the young poets of Alberta is a young Soomali women. 

WE need  our young men to learn our folklore and Qarami tradition and push them to abandon the music of the lost tribes of America. 

Yes, Dacar is still involved, he is an honorary director at Hargeisa Culture Centre where he coordinates the revival of the traditional songs and dances. 

With regards to the picture above, next to Hibo Nura on the far corner, is the Indian Rashid Bullo (Original Hargeisa indian community). He was a well known member in Wallalaha Hargeisa.

He has a number of classic songs including "Adaa Haweeeyay"... 

11 minutes ago, galbeedi said:

I thought Rashid Bulo was Yemeni/Somali.

Rashid Baluu was hindi originally. I only recently learned that he composed the famous outtro song for Radio Hargeisa 

Outro Song: Tani waa Hargeysoo, Heerarka Gaaban idinkala hadlaysee habeen wanaagsan... it is used up to today. 

1 minute ago, galbeedi said:

Suldaanka,

I am late comer. You know more than I do. Never heard of Faadumo Amaano.

She had few stints at singing but was well known for playing the keyboard and other instruments. 

Below is a picture of a live performance at Radio Hargeisa, the first Somali speaking radio station in the world. Also, the founding reporters of the BBC Somali were selected from Radio Hargeisa when it was first broadcast-ed from Bush House. 

The Oud is being played by non other the renowned father of Somali Music Cabdilahi Qarshe. 

Most likely the dark-skinned girl is young Guduudo Carwo, one of the first Somali female artists. 

EVwPx3yXkAYdcA9?format=jpg&name=medium 

• Like 1