Sign in to follow this  
SeNsHuAl_sHaAdIa

who you callin a ni**ger?

Salaam all.

Well said, Liban, Dawaco & co.

What amazed me was when he tried to interview the Paki boys at Birmingham and couldn't even conduct a proper convo with hostile youths and left effing and angry, alot about their attitude towards life. Even more amazing was his weak alibis for the laziness of the Afro-Carribean community (not all tho), saying that Asians end up having heart attacks because of hard work! what a laughable excuse. The sikh Asian guy prides his success thru hardwork, and here is a black Afro-Carribean looking for sympathy.

What was also evident in that programme was the lack of representation of a somali voice. Dont know whether he didnt bother to search, even tho, he said he did. But we're so bad in representing ourselves 'cos of our social divisions.

Wallaahi, I can say I'm proud to be somali, even tho, we have our own weaknesses, mainly our failure to get our home back on its feet again, but we're hardworkers and we will get where the Asians have and beyond! IT'S ONLY BEEN A DECADE! The only people that are failing our society are the wanna-be youth, but I hope in time they will turn true somalis and get their acts together.

All in all, that programme was crap and I'm on my way to C4's site to have my word. Please do show your disgust and discomfort of how they talked about us.

AYOUB   

People no need to go overboard attacking all Caribbeans/West Indians just because of Darcus Howe's programme (though I didn't see how bad it was). All communities have good and bad people and if Mr.Howe failed to see that, then we don't have to stoop to his level. I know a lot of hard-working , friendly and respectable people from the Caribbean who have no problems with Somalis but that would not make an interesting TV, would it?.

Curly   

I was deeply sadden by the Channel 4 documentary, I believe that it was to awfully bias and was in its own way in sighting further racial & religious hatred and generally conflict between already antagonistically unstable ethnic groups.

Darcus Howe this so called ‘presenter’ was seemingly confusing popular youth street culture as that of racial culture (in some cases religious culture). All the youths who appeared on the documentary were all similar in speech and action yet the only differentiating factor was race. It’s not that these Somali youths act in such barbaric ways because of the struggle with war in Somalia as one community worker pointed out on the documentary, because the majority of young Somali youths in London were never actually caught up in the conflict in Somalia. These youths are acting much like the gang bangers you see in America, however there turf is the issue rather than racial differences. But with somewhere as over populated and diverse as the UK one can only struggle to hang on to its fading identity, pride and culture. And because these Somalis choose to band together, it’s some how now being depicted as some sort of hostile act against other ethnic groups.

In spite of this I’m not making excuses for their horrific acts of violence, because violence can never be condoned in any situation, but just pleading for the acknowledgement that the Somali population can not be judged over the actions of a few young and impressionable youths who largely idolise the Hip Hop culture, which so extensively endorses crime and violence.

I also noticed that most of the people interviewed were stereotyping whole races by the actions of a few bad seeds, I seriously doubt the actions of a dozen or so Somalis can represent the hundreds if not thousands of Somalis living within the UK.

And it’s laughable that these former victims of racism and oppression can so easily turn the tables and can now victimise the new immigrants like they were not so long ago.

I was slightly embarrassed at the Somali community youth worker who attacked the camera crew and the other Somali man who claimed to be one of the first arrivals in Woolwich but was obviously struggling with English. This was hardly a display of the great accomplishments Somalis have gained during the short while they were here. But in a way I was pleased that none of the Somali youths agreed to be interviewed on the documentary, because some things are best left unsaid and why would someone want to burden themselves with the huge responsibility of representing a nation especially when it’s so open to criticism from other Somalis!?

I believe no one is in the right position to represent a whole race because everyone’s views vary and even conflict with one another and to allow that would in itself be pardoning outsiders to form stereotypical views against us.

This feeble excuse for a documentary came across as more of a proclamation for the badly sought after crusade against Islam that the ‘west’ is so determined on.

And I'll definately be making a compliant at Channel four's website!

Gediid   

I think when a community as large as the Somalis are faced with such negative programs the norm is for them to issue some sort of rebuttal whether its in the form of TV time or a column in the local papers.At least something that will deflame the already tense situation that this punk of a reporter has created with his one sided documentary.I also think to defuse such a situation the best thing to do is to collaborate with the Caribean community in some sort of a programme or show that would paint this dummys to be a BS.

First thing i tried to do was voice a compliant on the c4 website. But their forum for the program was over-run with like little race wars between little asian and white kids, so if you find a more direct route. please pass on.

Thierry.   

Brothers and Sisters

I have read all your posts and fell just as pist of. If you could do me a favour and post or send a complaint to chanel 4 as i have threatened them and demanded a public appology (come on lads and laises im just one voice). Even if they dont appologise I hope they wont air such a program again

Viking   

I actually thought it was an OK documentary, atleast not as bad as many of you make it out to be. Mr Howe wanted to show the differences between the immigrant communities of his time when compared to today's. He managed to show that there is clear hostility amongst the different groups and that it was mainly based on bigotry and ignorance. Every group was depicted as racist in the documentary and Somalis weren't particularly the 'victims' in this case. The Asians were depicted as the most evil group because we could clearly hear their racist views.

It is true that the Asians have the highest rates of heart diseases; their diet, lack of ecxercise, work and prestation related stress are the main causes. They are also more successful than the other communities but saying that it is purely based on hard work is not the complete truth. Asians have always been treated better and given more opportunities to develop by colonialist Britain. One can look back at colonialism in Africa (and its effect) to see evidence of such favouritism. That favouritism is unfortunately very present in Britain today but many people don't realise.

These economical differences between communities can be erased when the conditions are fair. Kenya is a good example of a place where Asians have been the dominant force in business (mainly due to the relationship they have had with the govt) but have in the last few years been almost completely kept out of business by the vibrant Somali community. The Asian community in Kenya have tried (using dodgy tools) to change the situation but has backfired in their face every time. Today, the 'Oxford Street' of Nairobi is in the Somali dominated Eastleigh instead of Moi Avenue where the Asains had their businesses.

Waaq   

If all this is true about the documentary those of you in the community there should write letters to the station and the production protesting the lack of a balanced approach. Media is such a powerful force that it is important to combat every negative image.