Sign in to follow this  
-Lily-

No room for women in Somali politics

-Lily-   

MAXAMED IBRAAHIM BILAAL: “Dowladda Haddii ay ogoshahay in dalka lagu xukumo Shareecada Islaamka waa in ay ka bilowdaa in Haweenka laga saaro Maamulka Dowladda”

Jimco, March 13, 2009(HOL): Guddoomiyaha Golaha Shaqada Islaamka Maxamed Ibraahim Bilaal ayaa sheegay in haddii Dowladda Soomaaliya ay dalka ku dhaqeyso Shareecada Islaamka looga baahan yahay in ay ka bilowdo dhaqan-gelinta shareecada Islaamka in ay maamulka Dowladda ka saarto Haweenka ku jira.

“Diinta Islaamka ma ogola in Haweenka ay wax hoggaaminaya, sida aan la soconana Dowladda waxaa ku jira Haween badan oo Ragga hor-booda, kuwaasi oo ka soo tegay Caruurtoodii iyo Raggii qabay”ayuu yiri Maxamed Ibraahim Bilaal.

Maxamed Ibraahim Bilaal waxaa uu sheegay in haddii aaney Dowladda ficil ahaan u fulin go’aanka ay soo saartay oo ah in ay Dalka ku xukumeyso Shareecada Islaamka ay taasi tahay qiyaano ka dhan dadka iyo dalka Soomaaliyeed.

Maxamed Ibraahim Bilaal ayaa xiligii (Sanadkii 2006) Maxkamadihii Islaamka ay ka talinayeen Baratmaha iyo Koofurta Soomaaliya wuxuu ka mid ahaa Mas’uuliyiinta Maxkamadaha Islaamka ee Gobolka Bay.

Dhanka kalena, Maxamed Ibraahim Bilaal waxaa uu ka hadlay muddo kordhin uu Golaha Ammaanka Midowga Afrika u sameeyay Ciidamada Amisom ee Muqdisho ku sugan, wuxuuna sheegay in muddo kordhintaas uu u arkayo mid lagu sii sharciyeynayo joogitaanka Ciidamada Shisheeye ee Soomaaliya, isagoo carrabka ku dhuftay in uu go’aankaas ka soo horjeedo baaqii culumaa’udiinka Soomaaliyeed ee ahaa in Ciidamada Amisom laga saaro Soomaaliya.

Salaad Iidow Xasan (Xiis), Hiiraan Online

http://www.hiiraan.com/news/2009/Mar/wararka_maant a13-5987.htm

-Lily-   

For the Somali challenged, basically what this news feed is saying is that if the Somali gov is prepared to accept Sharia law then women must be removed from Government positions, at a time when even Saudi Arabia has a female MP. Typical for the first jab to be about women. Someone should warn them the acid is coming their way.

As far as I know there is nothing stopping women from participating in politics?

Blessed   

They can't lead, i.e hold the highest position and even this is under debate but they can hold ministrial posts and even fight jihad.

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: @ dumarka raga hor boodaya. He makes them out to be some cheap tarts, I bet they have more eductaion and experience than the faaraxs conbined.

Ibtisam   

I think it is wrong time to pick on it now with so much choas, but I think there is a limited role for Women in sharia government.

The Somalia government will becomes totally invalid if there was. Saying they accept sharia law is an oxymoron, simply because the foundation of sharia governance is missing. So really they are just paying lip services to its application, but the current government is far from it.

Shabba need to let it go for now and maybe sharia law will evolve after the establishment of peace. The government need to stop paying lip service and just do the basics.

At a different time and different stage if sharia law is implemented fully, then accordingly the role of women will shift and they can fill certain positions.

Abtigiis   

While I think Women should be given posts and indeed should be involved in politics, I have never seen their plight as the priority concern that a new nation of somalia should deal with. There are millions of Somali's who are given names (men and women) and are denied the basic social rights they should have as a human and as a somali. They can grow as normal beings only until the age of 15 or so and after then the damning realisation that they are sub-human dawns on them. Emanucipating these groups is the biggest concern for me, and the women issue comes only after that.

-Lily-   

Ibtisam I agree, but what I find worrying is that the most important first 'Shria' duty is to chase women out of government, out of all the other problems Somalia has at present.

Blessed, I know that, but this is denying them even participation. Traditionally women are in roles such as health, childrens issues etc. not even Defence or Foreign Policy so its a load of bull.

LOL@hor booda, is he blind? Most of these women are probably grandmothers considering how young Somali women get married.

A&T, so then you agree that targeting women in gov is the least of Somalia's problems?

Abtigiis   

Lily

Stop paying around things. It is the Sharia law that prohibts them not the man who is calling for it here. It is a package: You either take it or leave it. There is no short-cuts here. And Ibtisam too knows this. Not only does Sharia prohibit life in politics but also it prohibts women from doing works if their incomes are secured by the husbands.

So, what are you looking for? To have sharia and come back with your Degrees and sit in offices? It can be like that.

I am not saying it should be or it shouldn't. But only stating the facts.

EDIT-

yes, I think women issue is the least that worries me, especially particpation in politics and civil life. I think addressing the caste system head on and ensuring equality of all somalis (including those called mid, Gabo, tumal etc names) MUST be the priority once security is stablised.

-Lily-   

A&T, I am well aware that women can't be heads of states or lead armies but participarte in government? That's news to me. I have to research the specifics.

NGONGE   

Originally posted by -Lily-:

For the Somali challenged, basically what this news feed is saying is that if the Somali gov is prepared to accept Sharia law then women must be removed from Government positions, at a time when even Saudi Arabia has a female MP. Typical for the first jab to be about women. Someone should warn them the acid is coming their way.

As far as I know there is nothing stopping women from participating in politics?

Did you hear about the furore the appointment of that Saudi woman caused in that country? Even though she was only a deputy education minster and was dealing primarily with women, the objectors questioned the choice because she is a woman. They asked how is she going to attend cabinet meetings full of men? They also asked why did she allow her photo to be taken without a niqab on! (She later admitted that this was an old photo and she did not know how the press got hold of it). Of course, all of them claimed to agree with the principle itself but found faults with the application.

If I had faith in the majority of Sharia demanding Somalis I would tell you not to worry and that cooler heads shall eventually prevail. Alas, looking at them today and how shortsighted most are, I bring you glad tidings of a life spent cleaning a kitchen, my dear. Have you ever cleaned a kitchen, Lily? icon_razz.gif

Lily, women are always the easiest victims and escapegoats for groups like these. Everyone could be dying of hunger and disease and they would still busy themselves with something like policing the correct length of jilbaabs.

What a waste.

This is the kind of nonsense that gets on my nerves and I become especially enraged when I here rubbish about how we shouldn’t allow women in government or positions of power- using flimsy misogynist excuses masquerading as Islam.

Boo!

I don't think I can stomach being in here I'm sick of being vexed by such things. (Skips off never to return again)