Oodweyne

Tension As Kenyan Fighter Jets Fly Over Jubbaland

Oodweyne   

March 16, 2020

Cyrus Ombati 

image.png.c5b3fef7759dfa128dc7ee8305b16c92.png

Kenya Air Force fighter jets patrolling the border with Somalia on Saturday flew over the airspace in Jubaland after clashes between rival forces spilled into Mandera Town.

The jets overflew Bula Hawo borderlands and south of the frontier before retreating. It came amid tension after troops from Somalia National Army and the Jubaland clashed.

Residents said the jets caused a scare. Kenyan troops have been in Somalia since 2011, when they crossed over in pursuit of terrorists blamed for attacks.

This came as the EU said the latest incidents on the Kenya-Somalia border and the recent build-up of tension in Gedo region had created instability and resulted in casualties and major displacement of civilians.

“This has had a severe humanitarian impact, notably on vulnerable women and children,” a High Representative of the European Union statement said yesterday.

“The fighting in Galmudug at the end of February has also fuelled tension. Overall, these situations are extremely serious. Furthermore, they divert assets and attention away from military operations against al-Shabaab in Lower and Middle Shabelle and jeopardise hard won stability in Somalia,” the statement said.

It added that the developments would hurt Somalia’s relationship with its neighbours and partners and urged that urgent steps be taken to deescalate. 

Source: Digital Standard

Source:- 

WARDHEERNEWS.COM

Cyrus Ombati  Kenya Air Force fighter jets patrolling the border with Somalia on Saturday flew over the airspace in Jubaland after clashes between rival forces spilled into Mandera Town. The jets overflew...

That is probably why the meeting between Kenya and Ethiopia.

Kenya has informed Ethiopia that its defensive move and Ethioia has no option but support it, as per their 1964 agreement.

Some here were bragging that Kenya is begging Xabeshi.

Haatu   

Kenya is piss poor and the economy is on its deathbed. I doubt they will have the fuel to sustain such flights for long without AMISOM footing the bill, which I doubt is possible.

Oodweyne   
4 hours ago, Haatu said:

Kenya is piss poor and the economy is on its deathbed. I doubt they will have the fuel to sustain such flights for long without AMISOM footing the bill, which I doubt is possible.

Haatu,

Really? I mean I leave it to you to tell us about the State of Kenya in-terms of its economy and whatnot since you are an actual citizen of the place since you are from NFD, but I wonder is the economy of the place that bad as you say it is?

So in a word, you know for a fact that the Kenyan's Air-Force can't afford the fuel to power-up its Air-force's jets for even small distance area coverage? Let me know more of it, mate. For that is really a news to me, honestly.

However, one thing I know is that AMISOM is strictly prohibited to "pay" any money of that kind to any of the African's mercenaries who are in Somalia. And remember most of the money in which AMISOM takes comes from EU such as monthly's stipend for AMISOM's soldiers, which in turn comes through with lots of "restriction" and with lots of "counter-measures" designed by the EU for the AU and for the AMISOM just to ensure that these monies shouldn't be abused.

In fact, the EU's main-office in the AU's head-quarter is tasked to "Itemized" the bulk of that money so that no force's contributing State in Africa can't take that money away and then use it for something else, like paying the salary of its own country's police force if they are not already Somalia for a mission. And, lastly, the fuel the EU pays for the AMISOM are strictly intended to be used for the Armored Personnel Carriers (APCs) and nothing else. So it's really news to me that AMISOM gets some sort of money for Air-force support from EU.    

Mr. Orange was forced to admit the States is heading to recession. How could heavily indebted Kenya do anything on her own? And if this is their way of squeezing one more Euro from the Europeans, it won't work.

Oodweyne   

Che,

I am not sure that Kenyans are "sending" massage of the kind you are having in mind in here to the US and to the EU in particular. However, where I agree with you is that it's a massage that is of two-fold. And one is that, the US and EU, needs to keep a tight-leash on Somalia's Villa Somalia, since these two powers are the really the "Sugar Daddy" (of the political kind) where Somalia is concern. And therefore the massage is that if these two powers do not wish to see the recently created small Somalia's SNA being pulverize by Air-force of Kenya on the border's region, then it will be well advise that the EU and the US, should start prevailing upon Villa Somalia to take its SNA away from any point of contact they could come with Kenyan's KDF. That is one massage to the "powers-that-be" that is the US and EU.

The other massage is form of intimidation directly intended to Villa Somalia from Mr Kenyatta's junior. And it's a way of saying that Kenyan's have enough fire-power (even through its meager Air-force) to actually destroyed the lightly armed SNA's units that are in Gedo's region, if they are foolish enough to ever come and cross to other side of the border between Somalia and Kenya. So it's akin to what Russians do with its Air-Force to some of the small Baltic States (such as Lithuania, Latvia and Estonia) where Russian's keep on entering the air-space of these former USSR's republics. And although they are all members of the NATO's alliances, but Mr Putin likes to play a bit of "street-kind of thuggish intimidation" with these states, even if he knows he will not be able to attack them because of the NATO's defensive umbrella

And of course, unlike these Baltic States with their daily attempt of putting up with the Russian's aerial intimidation where NATO's mutual defense guarantees will always be there for them if matters goes beyond that, Somalia has no such luck, if and when Mr Kenyatta decides to let loose his jet-fighter planes on to the SNA's units in those border areas. Which is why both US and EU, are actually alarmed about that prospect. Which in turn is the reason they have told (without mincing their words) to Villa Somalia to withdraw its forces as soon as possible from Gedo's region, lest skirmishes of this kind may occur even if no one wanted that sort of things to take place in the first place. 

Haatu   
22 hours ago, Oodweyne said:

Haatu,

Really? I mean I leave it to you to tell us about the State of Kenya in-terms of its economy and whatnot since you are an actual citizen of the place since you are from NFD, but I wonder is the economy of the place that bad as you say it is?

So in a word, you know for a fact that the Kenyan's Air-Force can't afford the fuel to power-up its Air-force's jets for even small distance area coverage? Let me know more of it, mate. For that is really a news to me, honestly.

However, one thing I know is that AMISOM is strictly prohibited to "pay" any money of that kind to any of the African's mercenaries who are in Somalia. And remember most of the money in which AMISOM takes comes from EU such as monthly's stipend for AMISOM's soldiers, which in turn comes through with lots of "restriction" and with lots of "counter-measures" designed by the EU for the AU and for the AMISOM just to ensure that these monies shouldn't be abused.

In fact, the EU's main-office in the AU's head-quarter is tasked to "Itemized" the bulk of that money so that no force's contributing State in Africa can't take that money away and then use it for something else, like paying the salary of its own country's police force if they are not already Somalia for a mission. And, lastly, the fuel the EU pays for the AMISOM are strictly intended to be used for the Armored Personnel Carriers (APCs) and nothing else. So it's really news to me that AMISOM gets some sort of money for Air-force support from EU.    

The Kenyans are in the midst of a debt crisis. In the past decade the country has spent billions of dollars from China on oversized and corrupt infrastructure projects which the country is currently struggling to pay for. Can you believe, importers are being forced to use the new train instead of trucks just to ensure some income to pay the railway debt. A few months ago, Uhuru went on an international dawarsi tour and I think he managed to get a few billion here and there to ensure the Chinese were paid for at least a few months. But the debt problem remains and the wider economy is screaming. The risk that China will seize a port in payment is real. And with the current coronavirus pandemic and the coming economic recession, Kenya might just default on its sovereign debt. In short, it really can't afford any military adventures whatsoever.

• Thanks 1

Oodweyne   

Haatu,

Wow, thanks for the heads-up in here, mate. I knew that both Kenya and Djibouti were carrying a some kind of a debt load for what they were foolish enough to had borrowed it from China for their own infrastructure building spree. But totally I didn't know that it was that really bad for Kenya when it comes even servicing such accumulated sovereign debt along the way.

It looks by the sound of it, as if that Mr Kenyatta's Junior may be in a financial pickle of his own making as much as Mr IOG - the Don of Djibouti - is in one. Which is the sole reason Mr IOG was seen in turn, at least in recent months, of him desperately trying to "flog it and to rent-it-out" the Dorraleh Container Terminal (DCT), in which he "fleeced" it from the DP World to some obscure port-managing outfit from out there in Turkey. When in fact no one else around the world would wanted to have anything to do with that port, or to even touch it with barge-pole.