Sign in to follow this  
Yusufaddie

Knock Knock!!

Aaliyyah   

Yusuf, are you by any chance pursuing medical school in the Caribbeans? I heard they had great med schools w/ American system. If so, please let me know.I would like to ask few questions regarding those schools.

salaam.

Aaliyyah   

^I am just interested in their medical schools. So, its not about living there. Even though I can't deny their islands are breathtaking.

salaam..

Kool_Kat   

Hayeey Aaliyah, MMA toosh uu kaa daaba shitay...May be he want a newspaper reading session... icon_razz.gif

Ok on a serious note, why are you interested in studying in the Caribbean? Your GPA low? It ain't that easy from what I heard, besides not worth it to be away from your family dear...Good luck sis.

Aaliyyah   

^ It is not abt my GPA. And, you are absolutely right there's nothing in life that can be considered easy. But, rather it's easier relative to American or Canadian universities who expect so much of you.It is actually about luck at times, a friend of mine applied and she had really high GPA and didn't get accepted. Again, this year she will apply. Sometimes, universities don't just check GPA but a combination of a lot of other aspects like how involved you are and so on and so forth. I just wouldn't waste my time waiting to get accepted, if i have other options. Basically going to the Caribbeans is my second option. I thought of going to London or Australia, but I realized they have different system and are really costly given that I will be regarded as international student.

I doubt there's anything so bad about being away from your family say for 2-4 years. It actually teaches you to be independent I guess..

By the way, thanks for wishing me luck. I will be needing it....

wa salaam

Aaliyah, it is actually much cheaper to study in the Caribbeans than here in the states. And after you graduate with MD degree, you'll have to give the same USMLE test like any other American medical graduate. I heard there are a lot Somalis who go there to study. So, if you are really interested in medicine go for it in the Caribbean islands.

Aaliyyah   

^^Thanks for your input brother. I heard Somalis go there but am yet to contact anyone. So, if you know any do let me know.

wa salaam

p.s. This post was for Yusuf to catch up with libaax.....I would like to apologize to them ;)

How far are you into your pre-med requisites?

Ad-com look into a lot of things including, research experience, volunteer/community involvement, and exposure to medicine and what it is like being a doctor.

This forum might be of some help

talk.collegeconfidential.com

go down to the pre-med topics.

Aaliyyah   

I remember discussing this a year and so ago. I would like to now if any one actually pursued med school in the Caribbeans????

salaam

Ok-who's this Carib brother stealing you from us?

Don't know about Carib schools but South Asia has good and relative cheap med school. Americans also head to central America but I'm not sure how good those schools are.