Shawana

Are yibirs ethnic somalis?

Shawana   

Salam guys

I‘m from the yibir tribe. I don’t look like a regular somali girl. I have middle eastern facial features and very light skin. My family looks the same both my parents are yibir. I‘d like to know where yibir ancestors are originally from? Some people say that we are originally from Israel. But that can’t be true cause our tribe father Sheikh Ahmed Muhammad banu hanifa ibn Rabi‘c can’t be from israel. Cause he was Muslim and he had a Muslim Arabic name. And Israel was never a country so that can’t be possible. I don’t wanna take a dna test cause I don’t wanan give my information out. Is there any of you who is yibir and toke a dna test before? Or knows anything about the yibir tribe?

Quneitra   

The Yibir, also referred to as Yibbir, Yebir or Yahhar, are a caste within Somali people. They have traditionally been endogamous, and their hereditary occupation has been as magicians, leather work, dispensing traditional medicine and making amulets. They belong to the Sab clan and sometimes referred to as a minority clan, they perform menial tasks in Somali communities and are considered an outcast.

The Somali tradition holds that the Yibir are descendants of Mohammad Hanif of Hargeysa. Mohammad Hanif had a reputation as a pagan magician, according to the Somali folklore, he was defeated by Yusuf bin Ahmad al-Kawneyn. According to this myth, the rest of the Somali society has ever since paid a small gift to a Yibir after childbirth, as a form of blood compensation.

The Yibir have a language (a dialect of Somali) they keep secret from the ruling Somali clans. Although Muslims and ethnically similar to other Somalis, the Yibir caste has been traditionally denigrated, demeaned and discriminated against by higher social strata of the Somali society.