Sign in to follow this  
- Femme -

How Earth friendly are you?

I notice that I don't recycle paper, cans, plastics etc. but I am pretty rabid when it comes to water. I can't stand anyone being wasteful with it.

I stopped taking baths long ago and I make my showers 5-10 mins. I yell at my family if they take too long with the shower or have the faucet on while brushing their teeth. I also like using the least amount of water to wash dishes. I get pretty annoyed when my brothers leave the faucet on for a full minute just to have really cold drinking water. I also hate seeing water sprinklers on lawns. I always knew that there were water shortages but I noticed this change when I saw a documentary about 5 years ago on people dying from lack of water. It was really eye opening how much we wasted water.

Anyway, I'm trying to care about recycling but I don't know why that's so hard. The recycle bins are literally a few feet from my house but I just head right on to the garbage. Our household also wastes a lot of food - may Allah forgive us. I sometimes try to feed the birds instead of throwing it out.

Other ares I'm trying to improve in:

• stop using plastic grocery bags and just one one of those cloth bags
  • try switching the harmful cleaning chemicals and make homemade all purpose cleaners
Anyway, this rambling post, was to ask about your experiences in trying to be good to the environment.

Baluug   

I'm not much of an environmentalist but at least I'm not leaving much of a carbon footprint because I live really close to my work so it's not far to drive, plus I'm a cheapo so I don't idle my car for very long. And I do occasionally recycle.

not very.

I wouldnt go out of my way to recycle.

if the blue bin is placed in a convenient location I will use it otherwise i will just toss it into the trash.

but not wasting water is very important .. you grow up appreciating water scarcity so I dont like to waste it.

I was considernig buying a hybrid but a new study just came out that says the price premium on a hybrid as compared to its non-hybrid atlernative does not make up the difference in $$$ saved at the pump. so I am serously reconsidering because my motives were purely economical and had nothing to do with the environment