Sign in to follow this  
General Duke

A Prophet (Un Prophète) film to watch

490514.1020.A.jpg

A classic French thriller with racial overtones from the director of The Beat That My Heart Skipped. By Peter Bradshaw

A Prophet (Un Prophète) Production year: 2009 Country: France Cert (UK): 18 Runtime: 150 mins Directors: Jacques Audiard Cast: Adel Bencherif, Niels Arestrup, Tahar Rahim, Tahar Ramin

source

Dude you beat me to it, i was just about to post a similar thread. smile.gif

Watched it last night, and let me say it’s probably one of the finest films if not the best ever I have ever seen. I mean its jaw droppingly good. From the very first few scenes it grabs you and doesn’t let you go for the entire 155 mins. It’s an epic in every sense of the word. For me it eclipses the greats like The Godfather, because the director Jacques Audiard is nothing short of a genius behind the camera.

This film is very much more than a prison drama but an in depth character study bristling with cross-currents of feeling and sharp observation

It’s One of those films were you will talk about long after you have left the cinema.

Paints France in a very bleak way, which i like :D

Tahar Rahim was supposedly an unknown actor, after his performance he should brace himself for worldwide stardom, and it’s earned on merit if you ask me.

Un Prophete is a blistering dramatic epic whose reach goes well beyond France and beyond Europe.

The most gripping work of art I have ever had the pleasure of watching.

A must see!

I heard this film is tipped for great success. The best french film of all time is La Haine

La Haine - Full Movie on Youtube

A French version of 'Boyz In The Hood' or 'Kidulthood'. A brilliant and brutal Multi Award Winning movie showing the side of Paris that doesnt show up on the tourist map. Following 3 Young Men/Teenagers trapped in the Parisian economic, ethnic and social underclass.

Archdemos : Thanks I have been waiting for such a movie, the usual Hollywood nonsense has bored me to near death.

Now this is a mouth watreing prospect, the French were always class..

Originally posted by General Duke:

described as the Godfather of the 21st Century...

God I hope not. That movie was just plain boring. A real colossal bore with shockingly bad audio design, average story and average acting at its best (apart from Pacino). It's such a cliche to praise this film to high heavens, everybody is supposed to like it because the critics have denounced it a masterpiece (that and part II). Well I say Godfather sucked! I'll take Goodfellas, Scarface and Eastern Promises, anyday, over that unbelievably pretentious bore :D

^^

WrongEquation, I'm with you on this one. I can't stand movie critics as well; For I've loved many a movie which these so-called critics gave bad grades to, and I have also loathed many that they've praised.

So I plan on watching this Un Prophète film once it becomes available on Netflix and I hope it turns out to be as good as these critics have purported it to be. Lord knows, they've been many times before that they've disappointed me.

BUKURR   

Originally posted by Archdemos:

Watched it last night, and let me say it’s probably one of the finest films if not the best ever I have ever seen.

A must see!

Totally agree, what a nice piece of art.

Thanks Maximus!

Originally posted by Mr. Somalia:

^^

WrongEquation, I'm with you on this one. I can't stand movie critics as well; For I've loved many a movie which these so-called critics gave bad grades to, and I have also loathed many that they've praised.

You know what? I might be the only person who enjoyed "Max Payne". I almost didn't see it because Max Payne was critically panned. Then there are films like "There Will be Sleep", sorry, Blood, which just bore you out of your brain, but were highly praised by the critics. And, who could forget, the excruciatingly long and boring, yet for some incomprehensible reason, untouchable, Citizen Kane.

So, yeah. There you have critics.

Prophet looks like a good film, though.

^^

LOL..not to forget the crappy ones that even won some Oscars thanks to all the hoopla the critics were making at the time. Remember Forrest Gump? Granted it had it's funny moments, but most of the time I was just wondering, "Was that supposed to be funny?". Imho, we got a far better performance from Tom Hanks in Cast Away than Forrest Gump.

Also thanks to some enlightened critics Russel Crow got an Oscar for Gladiator of all movies. If anything, he ought to have been given a pat on the back for A Beautiful Mind instead of Gladiator.

Sometimes, I just can wait for us Somalis to develop a decent movie industry of our own, so I can also start calling myself a critic. I'd give Somali movies like Qabyo 1 a B+, whilst Qabyo 2 would get C-... :D

p.s

Coming to think of it...it's been a minute since I last watched a Somali movie. Any of y'all know any new flicks out there? And when I say movie, I don't mean ruwaayad sanadkii Cabdille Xasan lagu sameeyey Soomaliya. :D

N.O.R.F   

Originally posted by 2+2=5:

quote:Originally posted by General Duke:

described as the Godfather of the 21st Century...

God I hope not. That movie was just plain boring. A real colossal bore with shockingly bad audio design, average story and average acting at its best (apart from Pacino). It's such a cliche to praise this film to high heavens, everybody is supposed to like it because the critics have denounced it a masterpiece (that and part II). Well I say Godfather sucked! I'll take Goodfellas, Scarface and Eastern Promises, anyday, over that unbelievably pretentious bore
:D
Totally agree. Godfather II was a good movie but the other two were a wast of time. Good gangstar movies are usually ones below the radar.

Carlito's Way and Clockers are great films.

Originally posted by MAXIMUS POWERS:

I heard this film is tipped for great success. The best french film of all time is La Haine

A French version of 'Boyz In The Hood' or 'Kidulthood'. A brilliant and brutal Multi Award Winning movie showing the side of Paris that doesnt show up on the tourist map. Following 3 Young Men/Teenagers trapped in the Parisian economic, ethnic and social underclass.

If you ever go to Paris venture into St Denis (location of the film). It's probably been modernised now but it's still an eye opener and has a great weekend market where you can buy just about anything. :cool: