Sign in to follow this  
Libaax-Sankataabte

Barack Hussein Obama wins Iowa (97% Whites)

Originally posted by Nephthys:

quote:Originally posted by LayZie G.:

^Pujah, those weren't her words, and thats some serious charge you just made against Mrs Ferraro.

haha
:D:D
. Mrs. Feraaro eedadaa miyaa?
I liked Jay Leno's opening monologue last night,he was like, I watched clueless last night on TV,Lol & her name is Ferarro!!

Senora   

Stoic, that hope you have for him going all the way doesn't have anything to do with half of that flag in your avator now, does it?? ;)

It's known that many voters cast their ballot for Sen Obama b/c he's black , and vice-versa for Sen. Clinton b/c she could be the first woman. But, as if people haven't tried before?? Obama isnt the first to try. Its his inspiring message. And even if you can't seem to appreciate that (Ferraro), that's what it is. He has a message that many agree with and want to follow. Yeah, he's not the first to use that message before (in fact, Pres. Clinton used that as part of his 1992 campaign), but he has a gift that's selling a lot better than the others have tried to, at least(including Fmr. Sen. Edwards).

Media pundits have claimed that Clinton is the girl that sits in front of class, always showing up early, and has her hand up first after every question. You would have to be an silly to claim that this woman isn't highly intelligent. But the unfortunate thing about American politics is that voting trends are somewhat inconsistent (overall). Voters dont just want the smartest person (not to take anything away from Obama, b/c he's intelligent as well). When the economy is in trouble, most times, the incumbent party loses the next presidential election. If the mood of the culture seems polarizing, bi-partisanship becomes appealing. Etc, etc.

Clinton has appeal on the economic issues, but Obama is certainly winning the bipartisanship contest (go figure, esp. considering that McCain's record holds up better than them). Image is almost everything (and the media is helping). Obama is seen as fresh, smart, charismatic, congenial, and everything synonymous. Clinton is seen as older, intelligent, stubborn, detached, and everything synonymous.

Its so unfortunate for me, because I truly like both. I campaigned door-to-door for Obama, and I'll do the same for Hillary is she gets the nomination, but his message resognates with me more. Yeah, Im proud he's black, but thats not the deciding factor, I'm more proud to finally get a chance in almost a decade to vote for someone I really want in office.

Ferraro may not have been racist. But when his accomplishments and message are thrown out the window and his support reduced to his race, she is playing the race card. The what if game can be played on both sides. What if Sen. Hillary didnt have the Clinton name, what if she wasn't first lady, what if she wasnt a woman. They both dont have executive experience (unless you count Obama's Harvard Law Review, lol) If you get specific, he has more legislative experience. Her main advantage is having lived in the White house (to put it generally) He might have followed suit with the other Dems in senate, if he were in office at the time, and approved the war. But to attack his stance as just a speech seems hypocritical when you emphasize your foreign policy experience to include a speech you made regarding China's woman's rights issue? I know, i know, the tit-for-tat is all across the board, and Im just as exhausted as the rest of the political junkies out there, but can you help it. This is some race.

Obama is playing a game of chicken with Mrs. C

first he released his tax records and dared her to release hers which she hasnt done yet.

and now he has publicly released his 'earmarks' for the time he has been in the senate and dares her to release hers.

this is making Mrs. C look like she is hiding something

the man may lack experience but none can deny he is a master politician

Earmarks

Khalaf   

Go Barack!!! my nigga...I love this dude now. the hell w/ the rest!

ps: Ron Paul was great man....his polices were great..too bad thou.

I think that angry pastor's "anti-american, racist" words may eventually end Obama's fairy tale run for the presidency. The media finally got him in a box. It is tough to get out of this one.

NOTE: For us, it is not flabbergasting to hear a black person complaining about "goverment oppression", "rich white people", etc. But for the white folks who have been voting for Obama, this sort of angry rhetoric is "shocking" and "unbelievable".

New Theme: Obama is a closet racist and anti-american.

peasant   

In america everybody wants to be a famous, including retired old ladies and pastors but for them to be up on the center stage they have to springboard on someone's hard work to get there. I dont think anybody knew about these two characters and what ever they achieved decades ago but now coast to coast everyone is talking about them. They Mrs Ferraro and Rev, Wright of course succeeded capturing the moment the candidates them selves were preaching for longtime. I would not say this will end Obamas campaign but indeed it is hurtful and of course will have a negative impact on the coming contest at Pen State.

Pujah   

I am really disgusted by the remarks of this pastor but the fact of the mater is large number of African Americans do feel that way. I don't however, think Obama shares their sentiments which is one of the reasons why I support him and his message. And I am hopping these latest developments do not bring an end to his candidacy.

:Dicon_razz.gif

Kashafa   

It's over. It's been over since February and 11-0 when he built up a mathematically insurmountable lead. Only way Hillary can become the Democratic nominee is by daylight roberry'ing this thing, outright stealing it. And with that, comes Civil War and the destruction of the modern Democratic Party. Blacks and the under-30s will never vote Dem again.

She put up a good fight, now's the time to concede gracefully.

Pujah, What was so objectionable, let alone disgusting, about Pastor Wright's remarks ? The man is a former Marine, has he not earned the right to speak his mind freely ? Everything he says when condemning US foreign policy is factual(Wiki check it). Keep in mind that he's not condemning the American people, but the American foreign policy that has caused misery, death, and suffering for millions around the globe and the domestic policy that has kept it's heel on the black man's head.

Pastor Wright is one of the few brave men speaking out today. He represents the true meaning of America, compassion, and freedom, not the empty suits tripping over themselves to call him a racist. He deserves respect, not censure.

Sanka and CO, looks like y'all had a scare this past friday eh?

Dude did an interview with fox, hahaha, thats how desperate he has gotten.

I was watching Hannity and Colmes when the breaking news alert of Obama's interview appeared on the screen, hahaha pathetic man iska dheh.

Obama's true identity has been revealed on the friday night interview with major from fox.

How can you know someone for close to 20 yrs, and call him your spiritual guide and not know his political stand? He says he is a true believer of jesus christ and he wasn't present when the taped sermon's took place?

What type of a christian is this man to have missed that many sermons, the juicy part at that?

PS:sanka, rest easy. Its better for the dirt to come out this early on the game, than say late september or maybe october?

Pujah   

Barack Obama's Tribune interview

Tribune staff report

March 16, 2008

Tribune:
The issue of [former U.S. Rep.] Geraldine Ferraro's comments on the role your race has played in this campaign. Then comes the video that has comments that your pastor Jeremiah Wright has made. How are we to look at these, what's the best way to look at this and in what context do you put them to the American people?

Obama:
Well, you know, I think they're separate issues, but there is a relationship. I think you're touching on something that's worth talking about. I think,
with respect to Geraldine Ferraro, I don't think what she said was racist,
and I was asked about this and I said I didn't think that was what it was.
I do think that what she said was wrong.

The implication was that I was an affirmative action beneficiary. I think you can make an argument that my race might have played a role in my selection for the 2004 convention, but it doesn't account for the fact that it was a pretty good speech. I think that my persona obviously includes the fact that I'm an African-American, and so to the extent that how I talk about issues of race and how I present myself is attractive to some voters, I think is undeniable.

To suggest that I could have gotten through the gauntlet of the last 13 months against very experienced, very savvy, skilled politicians and find myself in the lead for the Democratic nomination, including against the dominant political machine in the Democratic Party over the last 20 years, seems pretty dismissive.

And not just dismissive of me, but dismissive of voters. This idea that, "Oh, you know, let's get a black guy in there," I think just doesn't make sense. So I think that it was looking at an issue through a racial lens that doesn't make perfect sense. I mean, she could have made a subtle point about the role of race in my candidacy that could have been interesting. This wasn't it. All right, so that's Geraldine Ferraro.

Rev. Wright.
He preached his last sermon, he's now in retirement. I've put out a statement today. Ill be honest with you, this is somebody who I've known for 20 years. I basically came to the church and became a member of the church through Trinity [united Church of Christ] and through him. He's the person who gave me the line "the audacity of hope." He
is somebody who is a former Marine, a biblical scholar, has taught and lectured at major theological seminaries across the country and has been very widely regarded and admired.

And, you know, he hasn't been my political adviser, he's been my pastor. And I have to say that the clips that have been shown over the past couple of days are deeply disturbing to me. I wasn't in church during those sermons.

The things he said and the way he said them I think are offensive. And I reject them, and they don't reflect who I am or what I believe in. In fairness to him, this was sort of a greatest hits. They basically culled five or six sermons out of 30 years of preaching. That doesn't excuse them, and I've said so very clearly, but that's not the relationship I had with him. That's not the relationship I had with the church, and if I had heard those kinds of statements being said, if I had been in church on those days, I would have objected fiercely to them, and I would have told him personally.

When some of these statements first came to light was right around when I was starting to run for president. He was a year away from retirement, and the church itself is a pillar of the community and a well-regarded, well-known church. I suspect there are members of the Tribune family that are also members of Trinity.

It is not what's been painted as this separatist church or what have you,
it is a very traditional African-American church on the South Side of Chicago. And most of the reverend's sermons are the sermons of a traditional African-American pastor.
And so my view was that it would not be appropriate for me to distance myself from the church. I put out a statement saying I profoundly disagree with these statements, and the fact that he is now retiring makes me not want to simply discard him. He's like a member of the family, he's like your uncle who says things you profoundly disagree with, but he's still your uncle.

Tribune:
Geraldine Ferraro, she's asked to leave, she leaves the campaign, she should have left. And some people see that, legitimately so. Then how should we see . . .

Obama:
I think people should raise legitimate concerns about it. And the fact that he's retiring, and we've got a young pastor, Otis Moss, coming in, means that people should understand the context of this relationship. That this is an aging pastor who's about to retire and that I have made and will make some very clear statements about how profoundly I disagree with these statements. I don't think they are reflective of the church.

They're certainly not reflective of my views.
I do think there is an overlap in the sense that there is a generational shift that is taking place and has constantly taken pace in our society. And Rev. Wright is somebody who came of age in the 60s. And so like a lot of African-American men of fierce intelligence coming up in the '60s he has a lot of the language and the memories and the baggage of those times. And I represent a different generation with just a different set of life experiences, and so see race relations in just a different set of terms than he does
, as does Otis Moss, who is slightly younger than me. And so the question then for me becomes what's my relationship to that past?

You know, I can completely just disown it and say I don't understand it, but I do understand it. I understand the context with which he developed his views but also can still reject unequivocally. . .

Tribune:
You reject his views, you won't reject the man. Is that it?

Obama:
Yeah, exactly. And this is where the connection comes in. I mean, I do think that Geraldine Ferraro, the lens through which she looks at race, is different. . . . She's grown up in different times. The Queens that she grew up in is, I'm sure, a different place than it was then. Just as Chicago is a different place than it was then.

So part of my job is to see if I can help push the country into a different place with a different set of understandings. But as I said, it doesn't excuse what the reverend said, and I'm very troubled by it. And if, as I said, if I had heard those sermons, if I had been there when those sermons were taking place, I would have raised that with him, and if I had thought that that was the message being promoted on a consistent basis within that church, I don't think I could be a consistent part of it.

Chicago Tribune

Pujah   

Originally by Kashafa:

Pujah, What was so objectionable, let alone disgusting, about Pastor Wright's remarks ? The man is a former Marine, has he not earned the right to speak his mind freely ? Everything he says when condemning US foreign policy is factual(Wiki check it).

^^ What I find objectionable is his tone and his divisive message and not necessarily the facts he used as a 'reason' to preach hate.

Everything he said has some truth in it, if we are not blinding ourself, but perpetuating the same narrow mindedness, intolerance and bigotry he seems to be the victim of does nothing to elevate the state of African Americans in this country.

His message would have been more affective in inspiring his intended audience had it been delivered with a lot less, the white man is the source of all evil mumbo jumbo known to Farakhan.

Khalaf   

Damn mayne!! This is not good all over the news..., and old dude went to IRaq today lol show off. puja who knows what the pastor said, just bunch of sound bites..media can twist things...Old dudes pastor said a lot of worse things about islam evil and all that but no beef...media destoryed howard deen last elections...its all a game.

Kashafa   

Pujah, In order to understand Pastor Wright's fiery rhetoric, you have to understand the African-American psyche and the African-American narrative, something most white people(and most immigrants) do not understand.

Example: Pastor Wright is very light-skinned. Do you think inoo uu dashay cadaan-ta like some of us Somalis ? Nope. That light shade of skin is the result of a rape done to one of his great-grandmothers by a white slavemaster who crawls into her cabin in the darkness of the night, filthy and drunk, and forces himself on this wife, this mother, this daughter, this sister. All the while, her husband, her father, and her brother have to sit there and listen to her cries as she is violated.

Welcome to America. This is is the mental image Pastor Wright and millions of blacks wake up to in the morning when they look into that mirror and see that white blood reflected in their features. It's like somebody branding a V for victim on your forehead and having to walk around with it for the rest of your life. One of my good black friends(whose light-skinned) told me that his family tells people they have a Puerto Rican ancestor rather than the Irish ******* they know of.

When Pastor Wright talks about how the white government introduced the HIV virus to destroy the Black race, you and others, insulated from the African-American narrative, might think of it as the lunatic ravings of a racist. But then, you probably didn't hear about the Tuskegee study and how the 'gummint' injected syphilis into hundreds of black men, told them they had 'bad blood', refused them treatment, all in an effort to track and study the stages of syphilis. Again, Welcome to America. The one you don't hear about too often.

You might venture to say(the classical immigrant response): This all in the past. Let bygones be bygones. If I came to this country with only the clothes on my back, and now am a multi-millionaire, then the blacks need to stop whining and stop blaming the white man for all their misfortunes. Look at me, I made it. So should they.

Running on a post-racial platform is a brilliant political move, one that will most likely propel Obama to the White House. That doesn't mean tho that racial dulmi has stopped or that past racial wounds that have festered all this while have been properly addressed, let alone rectified(reparations).

America needs Pastor Wright for it's own redemption. As my black friend likes to remind me, the White House was built on the backs of slaves....brick by brick by brick.