Sign in to follow this  
Salma

Hey Geek Squad Listen to Shehrazade

STOIC   

OG GIRL, They is no cock-fight here only a dialectical challenge and replies.We are all on the same page only on a different rational persuasion of our ideas.My due respect to all of you people( Sheherazade, Mutakkalam,and Ngonge), keep up the healthy arguments.

Originally posted by NGONGE:

sheherazade,

As for the “book group†and the points Mutakalim made above. Well, I sort of agree with him here. This topic was started a while back but it had no form of order about it. People liked it and expressed their desire to join in; yet, nobody took the bull by the horn as it were. Trust Mutakalim to be the one to do it, eh?

The idea that only “the book group†can recommend books makes sense too. Like I said, there must be some sort of order to the whole thing. If we want to review books in the way that people have suggested above, we have to be organised. If the recommendation of books is open to all, we will end up having ten books to read one month and none the next! At least Mutakalim’s way addresses this issue and seems more methodical. Having said that, there is nothing to stop others from “suggesting†books to be added to the “reading listâ€. A “core†group IS needed for this task to be sustained. If things are left random and open to all, sometimes, “all†might lose interest. At least this way, you know that the “group†will still be there.

To be fair to PK, he did state that his list was not exhaustive and that people were free to add their suggestions.

Cry havoc! And let loose the geeks of SOL!
:D

Thanks Ngonge for sayin What I wanted to say.

I think Shehrezade.. U almost killed the whole revolution that was going through SOL. Imagine once this Book Groups takes off how many other groups of good hobbies will follow? I can definitely understand where you coming from. Your concerns are legit but given what we trying to do here in SOL which is first of its kind. If someone, from their own initiative, had put together a list of those he thought had shown interest and provided a set of regulations in which he admitted to be as a starting point and not exhaustive, I don’t see why we don’t modify it where we need to and accept where it is valid and move on to the following steps.. Just by simply protesting (while u had good intentions) you nearly killed the whole motion. Since those non productive arguments between you and PK, the whole agenda died and had collapsed within...

From what I understood what PK wrote that the List is Open to all Nomads and who ever wants to join can join without any barriers... And I think the comments below by PK are clear evidence. Don’t you agree?

What sort of Book Group would it be without the Baros.

Saying That...Please you can always voice ur opinions (you dont need the permission of anyone for that matter) but can we all of us focus on the constructive side of the issues and weight the follow on effects that they might have...

That is all I am saying now. I have some views or modifications that we could do to PK's List. I will forward them to you soon Insha Allah... and simply to make things more clear can we choose someone to administer this group?? just a thought.

Salaamat Soler's

Salma   

Salam,

Guyz, all the nomads are welcomed to join this Book Group.

I've suggested Paulo Coelho as a begining not coz he is the best of the best but coz:-

1- Paulo's books are widely read, Iam sure most of the Nomads know about him (The avid readers, the normal readers and even those who don't read alot). There are many writers out there and it seems it will take time till we agree on a specific book that we all know and read.

2- His books contain: Adventure,wisdom,pleasure, fun,some philosophy,mystery,sufism,legends, knowledge ,,,etc and its for all ages. Its not just a book, but more than that. Not only the Alchemist, but I found that Coelho's books are mostly written in the same Charming, well-written and interesting way like in Miss Pryme and the Devil, The Valkyries, The Pilgrimage, The Fifth Mountain and Veronica Decides to Die. I must admit "Eleven Minutes" was not good enough for me. It seems I didn't get along with Maria :D

3- Coelho's novels & books are not that long onez, its kinda short (4 me). Means those who didnt read for him can finish in a short time.

Or we can start with Literature, any kind of literature you like. French, English, Russian literatures. I believe most of the nomads here read the known books for Alexander Dumas, Doestovesky,Maupassant,Jane Austin, Charles Dikcens,Virgina Woolf,Flaubert,Victor Hugo, Hemingway, Mark Twain, Leo Tolstoy, Blazac, Anatole,Zola,Maxim Gorki,Albert Camus,,,etc. Many names and many books.

Just decide what the starter will be and let's enjoy this tasty meal called "Reading Books" and discussing them.

One more thing, Every Reading Group has a Facilitator/Captain who runs the group means adminster it, keep the topic active, set the times for starting and ending the discussion..ec and a Co-Captain to replace the Captain in his absence. Otherwise, this reading topic will be like any normal topic in the forum and nomads may forget about it. I would really love to participate but I don't have enough time. So It would be great if you also decide who will be da Captain and the Co-Captain.

Salam

By God I know not from whence comes this infantile antagonism!

It's simple logic.

The first time it is that we exchange thoughts on these boards, but you seem to be most intent on settling some obscure score. Imposing guidelines on any soul I am not; instead, making stipulations and suggestions as to standard protocols I am. It was all done in good gesture, fair sheherazade.

Huh? Settling a score? Go re-read any words I've directed at you in the past. However, be warned, they may not make any sense considering you've deleted yours. I've let you know before what I think of the tone of your responses in general. That has nothing to do with this. Your intentions are not in question here, Yoda.

My query, Good sheherazade, was save a rhetorical one.

So, where was the question mark?

Originally posted by Legend of Zu:

I think Shehrezade.. U almost killed the whole revolution that was going through SOL. Imagine once this Book Groups takes off how many other groups of good hobbies will follow? I can definitely understand where you coming from. Your concerns are legit but given what we trying to do here in SOL which is first of its kind. If someone, from their own initiative, had put together a list of those he thought had shown interest and provided a set of regulations in which he admitted to be as a starting point and not exhaustive, I don’t see why we don’t modify it where we need to and accept where it is valid and move on to the following steps.. Just by simply protesting (while u had good intentions) you nearly killed the whole motion. Since those non productive arguments between you and PK, the whole agenda died and had collapsed within...

LOL. You give me far too much credit. I was voicing my opinion just as you are now voicing yours. If it gets in the way of the revolution that you state may be afoot, then what an abject bunch of revolutionaries the rest of the SOLers are to have been put off by my thoughts alone. I had no idea I had such a hold over the others. U've set me straight. Sheherazade rules.

It isn't about intentions so much as it about appearance. Our words are all we have to go on to form an opinion and when we read something we all take away something different from the read- hence, the enjoyment of sharing reviews and opinions.

I'm not standing in the way of anyone else. They're quiet because they choose to be. When you read the guy's words, you didn't pick up some of what I did. C'est la vie. You see some, you see none.

OG_Girl, having to ask to be removed from a list is not logical to me.

Classique, someone should take a lead with this. Just who is another matter. Sheeko Somali indeed. ;)

Originally posted by sheherazade:

LOL. You give me far too much credit. I was voicing my opinion just as you are now voicing yours. If it gets in the way of the revolution that you state may be afoot, then what an abject bunch of revolutionaries the rest of the SOLers are to have been put off by my thoughts alone. I had no idea I had such a hold over the others. U've set me straight. Sheherazade rules.

hehe..All I was sayin is that This argument might have put off some Nomads and I can only gues that in their mind they are thinkin " Not another argument or why do we have to argue about every lil thing..or something on those lines"...

It isn't about intentions so much as it about appearance. Our words are all we have to go on to form an opinion and when we read something we all take away something different from the read- hence, the enjoyment of sharing reviews and opinions.

Naah..when i mentioned about intentions; it was me showing that i do not think ill of you or questioning your motives...

I'm not standing in the way of anyone else. They're quiet because they choose to be. When you read the guy's words, you didn't pick up some of what I did. C'est la vie. You see some, you see none.

Again I raised my concern of how this arguments can put off some nomads hence less participation...

You are also aware of how some nomads would participate once wheels are in motion..they might prefer to see things being done rather than said....

Classique, someone should take a lead with this. Just who is another matter. Sheeko Somali indeed.
;)
[/QB]

This is where we are now and I agree with you..it is a matter of chossing who...from my point of view...I will pick PK to be Captain and Classique to be Vice C

On the issue of choosing books, can we ask the Choosee' (person selecting the book) to nominate three choices and we get the one with the highest vote.... this can be done by simply utalising the vote option...

Classique: -

Can you nominate three books???

Salaamaat

Salma   

Now what all this noise coming out from the Geek Squad's room admin is complaining guyz LOOL

Easy nomads.. cool off , Life is beautiful and December is wonderful :D

Zu, Iam suggesting six books here not only three smile.gif

1- AlChemist (Author: Paulo Coelho)or Veronica Decides to Die.

2- Wuthering Heights (Author: Emily Bronte- English Literature)

3- Reading Lolita in Teheran (Author: Azar Nafisi- American Iranian, interesting book)

4-Beloved (Author: Toni Morrison- American)

5- A drift in Soho ( Author:Colin Wilson,British, I liked this novel alot)

6- The House of the Spirits (Author: Isabel Allende,Chilean) very very very very nice LOOL

guess enuuf suggesting, haye??!! :D

Salam

Originally posted by Classique:

1-
AlChemist
(Author: Paulo Coelho)or Veronica Decides to Die.

2-
Wuthering Heights
(Author: Emily Bronte- English Literature)

3-
Reading Lolita in Teheran
(Author: Azar Nafisi- American Iranian, interesting book)

4-
Beloved
(Author: Toni Morrison- American)

5-
A drift in Soho
( Author:Colin Wilson,British, I liked this novel alot)

6-
The House of the Spirits
(Author: Isabel Allende,Chilean) very very very very nice LOOL

Nice..Since I haven't read any of these..Can u describe each of these books by two to three phrases..and Insha Allah I will get one and by the end of the week asseverate my analysis of the book.

I decided to go ahead with this book group... even if It is me and Classique Only....

Diamante   

Legend Of Zu and Classique may blessings be showered on your heads! This wayward ranting between those two was putting me off the whole thing.

Classique, sis, i love the list you put in there, I have read Wuthering Heights so far...absolutely loved it, it's a classic!

Like Legend said, i will also try and read one/two of those other books you mentioned. I'll post my thoughts on them at the end of the month insha allah! ;)

For the others, can you please take an example to these two nomads and do the same please? Bickering about who can join the "group" is not gonna resolve anything. Thank You

You know what it is- most are just too lazy to come up with ideas and share them. They want the job done for them. Why they should then complain when they are not even contributing to the process is beyond me.

Still, good luck with whatever form this thing takes.

STOIC   

Nice list,i have only read reading Lolita in Tehran.Legend of Zu ,It is a group of seven "Girls" Who read and talked about books like Lolita and the great Gatsby in Nafisi's house in the Islamic republic of Iran .The book is divided in to four sections,"lolitta","Gatsby"' "James" and "Austen". "Gatsby and James takes back to Nafisi years of teaching career and through the revolution of the Islamic republic of Iran.She also details how Iran has turned in to anti-western and anti-woman.I wish i can tell you more but got to run it is FINALS week.

STOIC   

Nice list,i have only read reading Lolita in Tehran.Legend of Zu ,It is a group of seven "Girls" Who read and talked about books like Lolita and the great Gatsby in Nafisi's house in the Islamic republic of Iran .The book is divided in to four sections,"lolitta","Gatsby"' "James" and "Austen". "Gatsby and James takes back to Nafisi years of teaching career and through the revolution of the Islamic republic of Iran.She also details how Iran has turned in to anti-western and anti-woman.I wish i can tell you more but got to run it is FINALS week.

At last, we are making some head-way with this group.

Classique: Out of the selection that you have provided, which book stimulated you the most? Do you think there ought to be a vote as to which book the group should read? I would imagine that all the members would have to be reading the same book if they are to engage in any meaningful discussion. What book would you recommend out of your list?

Legend of Zu: Pragtisim has always been a strong suit of mine. A Man should be a a man of action in his thoughts and a man of thought in his actions. Thusly, mere wishful thinking is a foriegn concept to me.

Do you think that each person should read any book from that list? Or do you think that all the memebers ought to be "on the same page" by reading the same book? If the latter, then a poll would be required.

If Classique recommends the "best" book of the list she has provided, then we can start the reading forthright.

With Salaams

PK

Tuujiye   

^^^^^sxb this is the first time aan ahmay wax aad qortay...finaly waa naga joojisay them big words...tanag yuu saaxiib..ilaahey korkaaga macsaro haku qooyo...

wareer badanaa!!!