Sign in to follow this  
Salma

Hey Geek Squad Listen to Shehrazade

Well, then LOZ, you're following the trend yourself! How do you suggest we move this baby along?

My thoughts..

1..can we stray away from Sheherazade? I'll develop delusions of grandeur and such. I feel a Somali name would be appropriate, to give it some flavour. Sheeko Somali. I don't know, something like that...the Somali writers could help us out. Oh, I don't think we should limit ourslelves to English either.

2. I think we should have a Reading Group, not necessarily a Book Group. That way we're not limiting ourselves to just books; articles, papers and even our own work can appear. There are plenty of story-tellers here and the reception is always positive. Anything that is reading pleasure really.

3. Can we have a separate forum for this? It's not that preposterous an idea; after all we have a Jokes section(Politics), a Sports section(Jokes) and a Men's section(Women).

;) Admin, whaddayasay?

4. This has been going through my head for a while. I do have more ideas but I won't get ahead of myself. First we must walk...count me in on keeping this going.

5. Admin, whaddayasay? smile.gif

NGONGE   

I hated turning over the corners of books as markers. It always made me whince when I saw that triangular flap. Why couldn't the lazy reader memorise the page number or use a bookmark? Another readers' habit that used to drive me insane was jumping to the last few pages of a book. I'd see a reader at the library skimming the last page of a book only just removed from the shelf and wonder what kind of person you would have to be to do that! The end determining whether or not the book is worth the read? What lunacy. Doesn't that rob one of most of the pleasure of a story?

Mea culpa! :D

I only used to do that with John Grisham’s books (only read three mind). The thing with crime thrillers is that they’re really not that exciting. The methods are almost always the same. The characters always have “similar†problems. The story flows in more or less the same way. The only difference usually is the writer’s style and his/her ability to create a believable plot. I don’t usually go out of my way to purchase, borrow or seek a crime story, but when I get hold of one, I usually read the last page first. I need to know the outcome first. After that, I start reading the book from the start and wondering how the writer is going to take me into that eventual conclusion. It helps me create my own suspense.

I suspect that’s why many writers have tried to vary their styles by starting their novels with the solution for the crime first and then the clever unravelling of the plot! Even then, reading the last page still helps in creating and sustaining the suspense. It IS like reading a book that you’ve written yourself. :D

Classique, I’ve read a couple of books by Paulo Coelho but I can’t say either was that memorable. I tell a lie, the Alchemist (which I’ve read a few rave reviews about) was sort of memorable. I read it in a few hours and was left unfulfilled and disappointed. I’m not sure if it was the English translation that took away from the story’s quality but I found it child-like and unconvincing. The story was great, the writing was better but it was fleeting and weak in parts. It came across as something that he wrote in a hurry. Rather than the big meal of other writers, this was a bit of salad with no feta! :(

For no particular reason at all, I dislike Maya Angelou! Maybe dislike is a strong word; I am indifferent to Maya Angelou. Never had the urge to read any of her books for some reason. I read a couple of her poems but they did nothing for me. Maybe a review of one of her books will ignite my interest. Ready girls? ;)

The members of the "SOL Book Group" are:

1. Classique

2. sheherazade

3. ORGILAQE

4. OG_Girl

5. Alle-ubaahne

6. Bee

7. Ameenah

8. *Diamante*

9. Legend of Zu

10. Lady X

11. NGONGE

12. Checkmate

13. Myself (Philosopher-King)

If any member, above-listed, does not wish to participate in this Discussion Group, then that is just fine; apprise me of your wish and your name shall be forthright expunged from the list.

The nature of any discussion group requires strict paramters. I will list some of the main rules:

1. Only the members of the "SOL Book Group" can recommend or suggest a book to read.

2. One book will be read every month . Since many Nomads are confessed bibliophiles (book-lovers), one month is, truth be told, ample time to read a book.

3. It, the book, need not necessarily be a "classic", but it has to be well known enough so that members can easily access it at a library or bookstore.

4. The discussion of the book will start during the last week of the month . By that time, you should have read a fair amount of the said book; thusly you will be able to make reviews, literary analyses, etc.

5. The first person in the list will recommend the first book, and we will go down the list. The list is random and arbitrary.

These guidlines are in no way exhaustive, however, such rules allow for some "structure". If you would like to add anything to the list, then feel free to do so.

With Salaams

PK

P.S. Since Classique "mothered" this infant (i.e. Book discussion group), it is only impartial that she be given the first choice of book.

dear sir(mutakalim), :D

is't too late to join this group?

If the answer is YES, than i shall read all the books recommended by the list of this providential group, and keep my thoughts to my self or perhaps PM everyone on the list and say "hey this is what i have thought of it, what do you think" :D

All in all good luck to you guys, hope yall have the "time" and whatever that goes with it..

Cafwan!

asxantu

Pacifist   

I would love to join if yoll will have me :D

And i have lots of recommendations in line for books since i can not mention it right know since the mother of the thread has to go first. Ladies first ;)

P.s I just started reading Gabriel Garcia Marquez LOVE IN THE TIME OF CHOLERA

STOIC   

"Only the members of the "SOL Book Group" can recommend or suggest a book to read".

Does this suppose to mean no contribution from the rest of the SOL community?.If so why make the group sound like inherently untenable?Can you unmask for us the real intention behind this "elite" group.There is nothing odd about supposing to form such a group but why eliminate the happy campers like me.

Whoa, there Mutakalim! Have I missed something? How is it that you have taken it upon yourself to nominate members and a name? You're right, structure is required but you introduce your suggestions as decisions already made!! We're in this together.

The reason I suggest a forum which is a Reading area is so as not to limit anyone, reader or contributor. Some of us are self-confessed readers and we would keep it going but the rest would dip in here and there. This isn't only about the book lovers; it's about sharing reviews with all and appreciating it.

A book review section would need to be structured with some kind of deadline or it might just putter out and die. I can not think of an earthly reason why only a select few people would have the privilege of nominating a book. And who selects these people? I also believe that a lot more than books can be discussed and shared.

Everybody is welcome. I don't want to be part of something that requires learning a secret handshake. I was also joking when I once said there would be an initiation process! It takes the pleasure out of it.

Stoic, I agree.

Ngonge, you're evil. Pure and simple. Paulo what's-his-name disappointed me greatly. I read 2 of his books back to back and I wanted a refund. A great deal of fuss over nothing in my opinion.

NGONGE   

sheherazade,

You really need to read books from the end. Trust me, you will love it (Crime thrillers and Steven King type of books only, mind). Anything more highbrow than that deserves more respect!

As for the “book group†and the points Mutakalim made above. Well, I sort of agree with him here. This topic was started a while back but it had no form of order about it. People liked it and expressed their desire to join in; yet, nobody took the bull by the horn as it were. Trust Mutakalim to be the one to do it, eh?

The idea that only “the book group†can recommend books makes sense too. Like I said, there must be some sort of order to the whole thing. If we want to review books in the way that people have suggested above, we have to be organised. If the recommendation of books is open to all, we will end up having ten books to read one month and none the next! At least Mutakalim’s way addresses this issue and seems more methodical. Having said that, there is nothing to stop others from “suggesting†books to be added to the “reading listâ€. A “core†group IS needed for this task to be sustained. If things are left random and open to all, sometimes, “all†might lose interest. At least this way, you know that the “group†will still be there.

To be fair to PK, he did state that his list was not exhaustive and that people were free to add their suggestions.

You on the other hand have grander ideas in mind. Yours is not about a mere book group. You want a reading group! Nay, you want an entire forum dedicated to literature. Great idea if you ask me, but we already have such a forum (it just needs a slight name tweak by the admin). It’s called the poetry section. I’ve been eyeing it for a while now and thinking of posting a couple of short stories there (not mine). Maybe a combined fluttering of eyelashes at the admin will do the trick and get them to change its name to something such as “poetry and literature†or “Literary cornerâ€? Then again, the name does not matter. We might as well just post on that section and see the admin’s reaction (I can just see that solemn baby face with the words “ Topic moved to General sectionâ€).

Cry havoc! And let loose the geeks of SOL! :D

sheherazade

How is it that you have taken it upon yourself to nominate members and a name?

Be not livid with me, dear lass, as I have nominated no one (to nominate means to appoint or propose candidates). The names of the members in the aforementioned list are the names of those members who have professed implicitly and/or explicitly thier desire to engage and participate in this discussion group; the members "nominated" themselves, so to speak. If I were to nominate persons for this group, then I would have nominated but four people. However, I did not and do not desire to nominate anyone lest I disgruntle and displease our esteemed SOL brethrens.

You're right, structure is required but you introduce your suggestions as decisions already made!!

This is another low hanging piece of ripe fruit that I must, of necessity, pick. If my suggestions were meant to be read as "decisions", then I would have penned it thus; I, as many Nomads can attest, am not a man of subtelty. I would have said that to a nicety(to a degree of precison). For instance, the " guidelines are final, and there can be no discussion about it, period " رغم انÙÙƒ. That was not my intention. You see, I was merely proposing a standard procedure that is present in many discussion groups; my recommendations are nowise set in stone. Perhaps you did not read my post in its entirety.

We're in this together.

Is not that nice, Good sheherazade.

In any event, if you think that the guidlines I have proposed herein are neither practicable nor reasonable, then you are obligated to provide an alternative. You can write five or more alterantives should such is desired.

With Salaam

PK

P.S. .On a lighter note, whomsoever rebels against my rules, shall be hanged at noontide. Muhahahahhahahahah. *cough* muha *cough* :(

I don't know what makes you think I'm livid with you dearest boy.

What you have done is create a group with a dull, predictable name and peopled it with individuals who want to be part of a discussion group that we were in the process of creating and not the one you have come up with necessarily. There's a difference.

You are right, you are not a man of subtlety. You don't need to make transparent statements like the one you suggest in order to get across your approach. I did read your post in its entirety; you must be referring to the icing on the cake that was: If you would like to add anything to the list, then feel free to do so. Firstly, as we're supposed to be making suggestions, none of us require your permission and secondly, it's not the list yet, it's yours.

We're in this together.

Is not that nice, Good sheherazade.

Is that not a question?

In any event, if you think that the guidlines I have proposed herein are neither practicable nor reasonable, then you are obligated to provide an alternative. You can write five or more alterantives should such is desired.

I'm not obligated to anything any more than you are. The guidelines that you provide are just that- yours. I wouldn't want to limit anyone or create a group within SOL; we're free to post as we wish everywhere else on the site.

P.S. .On a lighter note, whomsoever rebels against my rules, shall be hanged at noontide. Muhahahahhahahahah. *cough* muha *cough* :(

Yeah, picked up on that loud and clear.

Ngonge, my grand idea is what it is: my idea. I wouldn't even call it 'grand'. If others like the idea, they can say so and likewise if they don't. I'm not shoving anything down anyone's throat. The Poetry section is for poetry as far as I can tell. It's the land of poets. How would that be relevant to a book group?

A “core†group IS needed for this task to be sustained. If things are left random and open to all, sometimes, “all†might lose interest.

How do you choose the core group? Do they merely state their interest or are they hand-picked by someone who has hand-picked himself? An interested group of people do not need to be acknowledged as an entity in order to keep things going. The Poetry section doesn't need a designated list of poets, why should a book group? Also, isn't maintaining order and introducing finalised rules part of admin/moderator's job? If rules are created by the rule-makers, we abide by them though we grumble; if they are created for us by self-appointed rule-makers with a heavy-handed approach, it's a whole other book group.

Tagging something new onto the Poetry section is a possibility. It's down to Admin, I guess.

I would hope that this gets somewhere.

What you have done is create a group with a dull, predictable name...

Is that the source of your distaste? I think that the name of the Book Group is superficial, but if you and others find it consequential, then, of course, you are free to dwell upon it at length (this is not a permission, mind you). Any name will do just fine for me. smile.gif

You are right, you are not a man of subtlety.

Are you being equivocal with the word subtelty?

Firstly, as we're supposed to be making suggestions, none of us require
your permission
and secondly, it's not
the list
yet, it's
yours

By God I know not from whence comes this infantile antagonism! The first time it is that we exchange thoughts on these boards, but you seem to be most intent on settling some obscure score. Imposing guidelines on any soul I am not; instead, making stipulations and suggestions as to standard protocols I am. It was all done in good gesture, fair sheherazade.

Is that not a question?

My query, Good sheherazade, was save a rhetorical one. An example of a consipicous rhetorical question would be " Ophelia, are you retarded?". It is both a figure of speech and a device of poetry. Know you the function it served herein?

I'm not obligated to anything any more than you are. The guidelines that you provide are just that- yours. I wouldn't want to limit anyone or create a group within SOL; we're free to post as we wish everywhere else on the site.

Calaa mahlaki. If it makes you feel good, then I am all for it. smile.gif

With Salaam

PK

P.S. The list (or if you insist "my" list) is only tentative. I thought this much was obvious.

وليس يصح ÙÙŠ الاذهان شئ

اذا احتاج النهار الى دليل

NGONGE   

How do you choose the core group? Do they merely state their interest or are they hand-picked by someone who has hand-picked himself? An interested group of people do not need to be acknowledged as an entity in order to keep things going. The Poetry section doesn't need a designated list of poets, why should a book group? Also, isn't maintaining order and introducing finalised rules part of admin/moderator's job? If rules are created by the rule-makers, we abide by them though we grumble; if they are created for us by self-appointed rule-makers with a heavy-handed approach, it's a whole other book group.

Heh. You’re reading too much into this, Scheherazade.

I don’t think you have to “choose†the core group. I would have thought it would be open for all. In saying it’s a core group though, I was merely talking about a group of people who showed their commitment and intentions to take part in these book reviews. The core group could be one person and it could be a hundred. The point is, someone has to keep this thing going.

It is not like poetry. Poetry is a solitary activity. The poet, in most cases, does not need to have people discussing his poems. If nobody even acknowledges him/her, he’ll still carry on writing those poems. A book group need to review books. The fact it IS a group implies that discussion will take place. Therefore, in order for the group to flourish and stay alive, it will have to have dedicated members suggesting and discussing books. In order for it to make sense, these members should have some sort of agreement on what books to discuss and the methods to follow.

Words are great. They say more than the person intended to say, they confuse, irritate, annoy and amuse. They can be misunderstood, misinterpreted and misread! Some people would read my words and think me silly, childish and dim-witted. Others will see wisdom, ingenuity and class! :rolleyes:

Some will read PK’s and think him arrogant, snobbish and condescending. Others will see clarity, logic and willingness. :cool:

Some will read Scheherazade’s words and think her snappy, excessive and tenacious. Others will see passion, cleverness and sincerity. ;)

Misunderstandings! I love them. :D

OG_Girl   

I just don't understand why Somalis like to fight over every thing!!. Mutakallem interduced some ideas and suggested list of names he thought they are intrested , He said if you don't want to be on that list , he is more than happy to take off your name/s.

Just ask nicely to not be included. Wallahi is that simple!

Salam