Sign in to follow this  
Valenteenah.

Trekking through East Asia - advice tips

Thanks everyone. I had been planning my down under working holiday for a while but I was in half a mind about doing the Asian tour, mainly because I like my comforts and I'm not exactly into exerting activities of any sort. Sauntering around Asian villages and trekking for seven hours a day seemed a bit full on, but my dad took me aside recently and told me to stop fluffing about and to go. Life is too short were his exact words. He apparently had the best time of his life traveling around EA when he was my age. So I booked. Insha'Allah khayr.

Zii, finding a bride for FB is beyond my capabilities, am afraid. :D

Ibti - Mine is still two months away so I'll be sure to ask Nehand about her experiences, I'A. India and Pakistan sound exciting - everyone I know who has been there loved it. Planning is fun, you just gotta do a bit of research once you know the dates and locations you want to see. Saving up is something else altogether. It took me ages and I'm still at it! It won't take more than a few months if you are very disciplined and can put away a good chunk of your salary each month (am not!).

Sheh, three weeks in each country? Really? It's going to be a whistle tour but even so I thought 6 weeks for all was long enough. I don't think I can rough it for more than that!

So, Hoi An is the place for clothes? It looks so quaint and otherworldly in your photos, I'm so looking forward to it, walaahi. I'm taking a few items of clothing, so there'll be plenty of space for additions! I'll be in Vietnam in April, I'A.

NG, it's as good a time to go as any, maybe more so because of the recession.

Buuxo, lol I guess I misread. I did wonder why you were offering sarongs but the thought flew away as quickly as it came. I think I had a blond moment there. I'll probably make it to your beaches sometime in mid May I'A.

Li Ka-shing,

Thanks for that. I've got Hong Kong and China (and Mongolia) in mind, but I will need to rest and replenish before I contemplate taking them on. So maybe later in the year, God willing and finances permitting. :cool:

Ashkiro   

^Not that I need to share, but I am writing my personal statement to go to China this summer at this moment, I'A the program accepts me, I've never been to Asia. It was a pain getting hooyo iyo abo to agree, but they finally accepted. I totally agree, traveling is an amazing experience and really makes you a better well rounded human being. Have fun and Insha-Allah Khair.

Urban   

Val sis, just watch Top Gear's recent Vietnam Special episode about what life could be like over there. :D You'll have a few laughs about their mishaps aswell.

smile.gif

It all sounds fantastic, and just reading everyone's input here is so exciting as if I'm the one going there :D . Insha Allah it will all come together as planned.

^ Thanks, Urban. I saw a little of the TG episode already.

Ashkiro, studying in China? How exciting! Which city will you be based in? I suppose the only downside to living in one of the big cities is the incredible amount of pollution. Best of luck with your application, I'A.

Val, the pace seems tiring. Also, it's hard to get a feel for a place if you blast through it. I did that in India and it killed me. In the last week, I was in a different town every day 5 days in a row. I flew out to Bangkok with nowhere to stay, got out of a taxi at Kho San unable to even think. A man came to me, said Asalamu akeykum, u want a room? I nodded and followed for what seemed like forever. He left me at a Malaysian hotel and I slept like the dead for the next 16 hours.

I once slept outside a guesthouse-got off a bus very early morning, pre-dawn- but everyone was asleep and couldn't hear my knocks. I was sick and exhausted so lay down outside their door on a bench. Within minutes, I hear the most terrifying dog growl coming closer and closer. I couldn't move for love nor money and just prayed. I didn't see it. It never came for me. LoL. Don't try that one.

PS: good advice from daddy dear. Mine now says I would sleep with lions and thinks I have no fear. The expectations just get bigger. U have been warned. LoL.

Ashkiro   

Valenteenah it's based in the Southern part of the country, place starts with G, haven't a clue on how to spell it. Than a week in Beijing, I've already pictured it all in my mind, hopefully won't be disappointed. Thanks.

Sheh, I hear you about the expectations! I don't think they can get any higher over here.

Sleeping outside guesthouses in a foreign country is the stuff they write about in horror stories. Ilaahay baa ku badbaadiyey.

I know it's going to be really tiring but it's probably the best way to see all those countries in a fairly short amount of time.

Here's a thing: every Thai hotel review I read mentions bed bugs. Ick Ick Ick. What's that all about? Thailand is incredibly reliant on tourism, shouldn't the hotels at least be bed-bug free?

Ashkiro, I'm sure you won't be disappointed. It will be an incredible experience I'A.

Red, thanks. The other issue, you know I don't like greed - as you are already affianced, mid ku eekow. At least for a little while.

An older cousin (guy) of mine took a similar trip with his university friends. I just hope that you're going with a male. I been hearing crazy stories about those areas you're heading to. May Allah swt be with you..stay save.

^ Thanks, K.

Africaown, thank you for the duco. I'll be part of a group, I'A, so it should be fairly safe.

FB - In about 6wks, so got plenty of time still, I'A.

malaysia, indonisia and singapore are my dream destinations. val, please take me with you :D

south korea and japan would also be cool to visit.

if u leave me anyway, i say good luck and come back safe!