Sign in to follow this  
Valenteenah.

Trekking through East Asia - advice tips

Kool_Kat   

My family, God bless them, helped finance it.

I am almost jealous Val! :D God bless them indeed...

Although I can't contribute much to the topic, just stopped by to wish you a save and fun safar...Nabadna inaa ugu noqoto cidahaaga I'A...

Khayr   

I've got to say, what I'm most excited about is chucking in my job and leaving London behind!

Something is not right here...leaving your responsibilities and becoming bint batuuta with an escapade to Asia?

....and since when did somali parents approve of their daughters taking a trip alone, in the land of indaa yaar? :rolleyes:

Zafir   

^^Obviously she'snt an adult who makes decisions for her self, it must the the parents at fault. AL shabaab and their logistics in logic, if it is any consolation Rudy is accompanying her.

Val, Nabad ku tag, oo ku dalxiis, kuna soo noqo walaaal. Best of luck to you and hope you really enjoy your journey in good health.

Ps: Farax B, garadh Vietnamese ah oo arrange marriage ogol bal u soo raadi, hadii uu waqti kuu saamaxo.

Oz   

Originally posted by nuune:

quote:
883092.gif

What the hell is dat yaa Ozie, looks an elephant to me, or takarta maroodiga saaran.
Its a busy ant yaa nuune..heh

Ibtisam   

Val I'm so excited for you :Dsmile.gif That is great, sounds wonderful. Have a blast and enjoy it.

Nehand (the nomad) is leaving tomorrow for Cambodia, Vietnam and Thailand for two weeks trekking, so if you are not leaving in the next two weeks, you can PM when she returns for the most recent update. I was suppose to go, but work did not permit a speedy get away. But Inshallah I’m looking at May time, I will be focusing on India, Pakistan and Bangladesh, but I’d love to take 6months off and add many more places.

Currently on saving mode (apparently) So tips on planning and saving would be great :D Lol

When are you going? Be save and take good care inshallah.

Ibtisam   

^^^WHat? don't listen to Ngonge! The man needs glasses.

I speak Bangali, so I should have fun there (well in Daka at least). :D

Ibtisam   

Also in Malaysia and Indonesia if I can make it, I mean they will think I am a super model :D HAHA.

Sorry Val, north stop hijacking Val’s thread.

>>>troll>>>

Val 43 days is bl00dy insane! I spent a min of 3 weeks in each country and even then felt rushed. It is tiring..

Sleeping bags- lol @ which market. Sorry dear been to dozens. Keep a look-out. They won't look like normal sleeping bags. They come in a small silk bag themselves- the sleeping bag itself is in the inside, folded neatly. Don't know what I did with mine. I gave most things away before I returned.

Or get one made. Hoi An is full and I mean full of tailors- get some summery clothes made as soon as you get there- they will have it ready in a day if you're really rushed. I made too many lol but they were a God-send. Get some office clothes for the Australia work to come. Take pictures/catalogues of what you want before you leave here. Don't go with the cheapest tailor. Some focused mostly on tailoring- go for those for the office clothes. I think I have my tailor's(lol) address somewhere. Not the best work but she will give you a hug and some gossip. smile.gif You can also get some shoes made in Hoi An. I had a few made; one pair didn't fit after I got home as my feet had shrunk back to normal in the cold English weather. I picked a design from a Next catalogue. LoL. Really.

Make sure you eat the shrimp dish in Hoi An. Can't remember its name but its delicious and will be on every menu in Hoi An.

Saigon/Ho Chi Minh- the main touristy area- had some good Italian restaurants. I had a meal in two and was blown away- the best pizza I have ever had. Lots of Africans in the area- say hello when they greet you. Lots of footballers from Um where was it, Cameroon, there.

The traffic is insane in Ho Chi Minh. I wanted to go to a market once and when I saw the several lane madeness I had to cross, I turned back. Forget pedestrtian crossings et al. You have to be at one with the traffic. It's worst in Saigon/Ho Chi Min but all of Vietnam is pretty bad, be prepared to see bodies by roadsides covered up(hopefully covered up).

Make sure you see the Co Chi tunnels just outside of Ho Chi Minh. I am claustrophobic so I made myself go down them. There's a half way point where they let you out if you're finding it hard. By then there was a lot of cursing and hyperventilating and a few people bailed out. I perseverd and it was worth it. Crawling through a tunnel- it was small even for my size- and it opening up into a big space with a desk and wall charts etc is amazing. You will come out dirty, sweaty and slightly Viet Congish. smile.gif .

Viet%20Cong%201968.jpg

Vaccinations- get an appointment with the nurse at the surgery now. Or if you're like me and can't be arsed, go to the travel clinics at Nomad Travel. The clinic will advise you and if you decide to get the vaccinations from them there will be a cost. The one in Victoria might be your closest. There's also one in Russel Sq. http://www.nomadtravel.co.uk/pages/stores

Airport transfers are not a biggie. Get a taxi from the airport- go to an office within the airport- or a bus/train into the centre of town.

Allamagan, there's a Vietnam thread here. Don't know who started it

Nam

Val, the pics in the first post of this thread show Hoi An. When are you going? Humidity highest August, September. When are you in Nam? I really want to go again this year.

NGONGE   

Val is so laid back she probably does not know yet that Obama was elected president or that there is a credit crunch. Hark at her chucking her job and sauntering away to far off lands.

...yes I am jealous.

Buuxo   

^LOL.I am jelous too. *tuuf tuuf* gabadha yaan la cowrin poor people of SOL :D

Val, LOL.I haven't got Sarongs for you.You going to sarong capitals lol...so grab them on your way ,to enjoy Perth beaches.We gonna do beach crawls,IA. When do you plan to come ? I had the house to myself this summer ka waran,I could of accomadate a whole family.Waan is cariirsaneyna nonetheless.

Val don't pre-arrange transfers. Just change $20 in the airport. Outside the international arrival

terminal you will see people queuing for cabs, mostly whites(farangs). There you can hail a metered cab.

Bangkok is safe. Yellow fever is only needed if you are traveling from third world country.

Btw if you're in Bangkok why not visit Hong Kong and Southern China(Guangzhou, Shenzhen).

Cheap clothing and worth the thrill. You can get cheap airline BKK-HK tickets.

Good luck and safe trip.