Sign in to follow this  
Valenteenah.

Trekking through East Asia - advice tips

NGONGE   

Ah! The pythons of Cambodia will finally get to meet their long lost cousin. :D

I give you one week, dear. The minute you break your first finger nail you'll be on the first flight back to Great Ormond Street Hospital. icon_razz.gif

Some1's doing their research and being serious!! Val, I'm so excited for you (feels almost like I'm the one doing it :D ) and I hope you do get to do it all. Will definitely join you for some pit stops where time and finance permit.

Oz   

where am catching my flight to Perth, I'A.

ehem.. Finally! :D

Ps: Safe journey through Asian territory, catching a train through viet`cong via Mao arriving at singapore oh dear, nice!

OHMYGOD how did I NOT see this? :D

Congratulations, you're in for a treat. I've been to all those and some lol. Not Australia yet- though it's on my hit list in a big way.

Gosh, don't know where to start.

Take a medium-sized backpack and fill it only a quarter of the way- seriously. It'll be hot and you'll find loads to buy along the way. I used to post stuff back so I could enjoy them on my return. Or sell them. smile.gif You will also need a small day pack.

Average weight of my backback was about 13 kg which is a lot for a wimp like me. Take all the jabs necessary. I took a mosquito net but never used it- I gave it to an orphanage in Cambodia.

I used mosquito repellant- chemical- and natural repellant(citurs is good). Citronella oil smells baaaaad but I bought an empty bottle with a pump from Boots and filled it with a few drops of Citronella and Peppermint and sprayed my ankles and hands- worked a treat.

As you'll start in Nam, buy a silk sleeping bag from the market- I used to slip into it at night to avoid mosquito bites not to mention it feels divine and keeps you off the covers. Take something to cover not-so-pretty bed covers and pillows. U'll thank me for this. LoL.

Cambodia & Vietnam are the cheapest followed by Thailand, Malaysia. Food is delicious everywhere, particularly in Vietnam. I made friends who will take care of you and show you how the locals live - if you want the local touch, let me know.

Don't expect to see many sights in Cambodia however it is haunting and memorable- Angkor Wat is awesome- buy a 3 day ticket- though 2 should be enough if you're relentless.

Vietnam is one big hoot, I couldn't get enough of it. Hanoi is to die for. I walked for hours till my clothes fell off my body. The men will love you. But are rarely leery. You have to see Hoi An! I will tell you where I stayed, they took such good care of me. Hoi An is a UNESCO world heritage site. Sooooo charming.

Buy guidebooks when u get there- they will be copies and cheaper. Or get one of those all of SE Asia guidebooks and along the way get country specific ones for a few dollars. You'll need dollars in Cambodia. Change all your money there. Take a combination of cash and cards. I gave up on travellers cheques years ago- some places don't take Visa Traveller's cheques.

Take a good pair of walking sandals:http://www.nomadtravel.co.uk/catalog/view/ the-north-face-el-porto-sandal-womens

If you're going to trek, try North Thailand- Chiang Mai and Chiang Rai and Northern Veitnam.

Don't miss the Chiang Mai night market. Southern Thailand is gorgeous too- see one or two islands. Make sure you let the Muslims know you are one- you'll be elevated to Queen status in the South. LoL.

Bangkok is one of my fave cities- it's just nuts. All the backpackers tend to hang out in Kho San Rd. It's not what it used to be but it'll do you fine. Turn right at the Police station on the end of Kho San road. Keep walking and some of the stalls down this road are halaal. Watch out for women in small caps and signs on the stalls with Quran. I had some delicious chicken and rice here. Get some orange juice from the two girls who compete with each other to sell you juice- if they're still there. I have never drunk so much orange juice. On the other side of this street, on a small alley on the left, you will come to a most delightful Mosque. You'd never know it was there. I nearly cried. Hehe. There's a woman selling halaal food on a stall at the mouth of the alley; walk down it, don't be afraid. There'll be a Muslim restaurant on the left- eat here- the Mosque is not far down.

Pray at every mosque you see. They will welcome you. Try the mosque in Hanoi; it was always closed when I was there.

Take the boats and the Sky train(goes above the city & airconditioned) to move about in Bangkok. See the malls and tourist attractions; get massages, manicures, pedicures, facials for a fraction of the prices here. You will need them cause u will feel rough.

Never had border trouble. I lied once lol but hey. It says Burco on my passport and a nosey git wanted to know where that was so I said Wales. Not that he knew where that was either. LoL.

I can write forever as you can see, ask specific questions and I'll tell you more.

No 1 advice- lose the fear and embrace the adventure. :D:D I just relived it all!

Val, be mindful of the exotic food in that part of the world. Tropical diseases are common especially when traveling on rural area. Take some over counter medicines, vitamins and stay away of hugging locals(bit rude, but true)especially in Vietnam and Cambodia where the rate of TB is in highest in the world. Enjoy your trip and make sure to share the joy with us poor SOLers. :D

Nephissa   

^ :D , poor indeed, as I will probably never be able to afford to travel the world for a YEAR. I'm so envious. icon_razz.gif

Have a fun trip and take lots of pics, Val.

Just out of curiosity [if you don't mind sharing] how much does it cost for the whole trip?

Hi Guys..thanks for the well wishes, duas and advice. Insha'Allah I'll come back in one piece. A happier, more experienced, more together piece. :D

Buuxo, I'll be happy to take those sarongs off you, thanks! Yes, I'm going on a small group tour because am not brave enough to do it on my own!

I'm not spending long in Perth, maybe four or five nights, I'A. I want the warmth of Somalis and I don't fancy staying at a hotel, so let me know if you know of any families with a spare room, who wouldn't mind accommodating me. Am happy to pay!

Li Ka-Shing,

That's fabulously helpful. Thank you for the link, I've had a look and seen some good value accommodation for next to nothing. I'm staying in Bangkok for a couple of nights before flying to Vietnam for the overland segment and my original booking was for the Bel-Aire Princess hotel, but at 55 pounds a night I can see it's not a good deal at all.

I'll check out Patpong and the restaurant and let you know, I'A.

Quick question, is it better to arrange airport transfers in advance or just get a taxi from the airport on arrival? My priorities are safety and comfort, so I have prearranged everything which, although costly, gives me peace of mind. But Bangkok is a bustling city and fairly safe, wouldn't you say?

Sheh, you are fabulous. As I knew you would be! Thanks for the tips - I love the idea of the silk sleeping bag. I was wondering what to do about the bed & pillow covers! You said I would find this in Hanoi markets? Any specific market? I think we'll be spending quite a few days in Hanoi and its surroundings (we'll also be taking in Hoi An).

As it's a package tour, the itinerary is set in advance but we get one or two free days to explore in each location. It's also inclusive of accommodation, transportation and some meals throughout the journey.

The whole purpose of the trip is to lose my fear and increase my confidence!

ME - lol @ male companion. Yeah, mate. :D

Nephy - I'm holidaying for a couple of months and working for the rest I'A, so it's not all fun. I'm starting with a budget of 5k, which covers a 12-month round the world ticket (London, Bangkok - surface to Singapore, Perth, Melbourne, Sydney, Auckland, LA - surface to New York, London), the Asia tour, spending money and two months rent in Australia whilst I look for a job. It's pretty tight but I'm the queen of budgets so it should be alright, Insha'Allah.

I've got to say, what I'm most excited about is chucking in my job and leaving London behind!

I have been to both Malaysia and Thailand last summer and I am sure Val, you will definetely enjoy your stay in these countries. but Vietnam, I dont know much about this country and I am now itching to hear more about Vietnam especially after I watched Top Gear's last episode (episode 8) in december 2008 where Richard Hammond and James to travel the entire country in just eight days. Here you watch the the beauty of this country and what it has to offer. Amazingly amazing!!! Watch it all here!!!

Val, I am sure you will love it!! Go for it, girl!!