Sign in to follow this  
Valenteenah.

Trekking through East Asia - advice tips

This is mainly for Sheh, as she's the only SOLer I know who's been through most of Asia but any contribution will be valued.

I'm out of London in a couple of months to travel the world, specifically through Asia and Australasia for 6-12months (that is, the ticket is for 12 months but I'm giving myself leeway to come back after 6 if I can't hack it!).

God willing, I'm going to be taking in Cambodia, Malaysia, Singapore, Thailand and Vietnam over 43 days. It will mostly be an overland tour, trekking/busing/boating/and by rail from Hanoi down to Ho Chi Minh City/Saigon, then up to Phnom Penh and Angkor Wat, then across to Bangkok and Koh Pha Ngan, then down to Penang and KL, finally ending in Singapore, where am catching my flight to Perth, I'A.

I suppose what am looking for is any kind of advice:- what to avoid, what to make special arrangements to see, what to take (rucksack v draggable samsonite? mosquito net? Wellington boots? Am traveling light!), what are the customs/immigration officials like in these countries? etc, etc.

Anything helpful, really.

Aaliyyah   

^ hey you are soo lucky..you get to see all those places and am writing some mid terms.

have a save trip sis

can't say much abt asia, never been there :(

salaam

^ Thank you, darling. I've always wanted to see East Asia but this is the first time I've had the opportunity to plan the trip. My family, God bless them, helped finance it.

Aaliyyah   

^ you have a lovely family, indeed god bless them!!

enjoy your trip and keep us updated on the nice places you visit...nothing personal of course..more like in general terms.

salaam

nuune   

Maashaa Allaah muraadkaaga Ilaah ha sahlo, Vietnam, dat is my fav place, never bein there heard from many people who went East Asia, and it is fabilous.

Hope you enjoy ur time up there, and come back save yaa Val.

Buuxo   

Sounds exciting Val.Always wanted to do Cambodia & Vitnam.I have friends that are there atm.I'll ask them tips for you,IA.Are you planning to join a tour group?

PS: When you end your East Asia trip don't forget to drop me a line and grab few Sarongs to enjoy lovely Perth. Safar salama.

Of all the places you mentioned I've only been to Thailand. For Thailand, I'd recommend a backpack. If you're traveling directly out of London should be alright, otherwise any entry from a third world country and they may need a yellow fever vaccine card.

Bangkok has plenty of cheap motels, the cheapest being on Khaosan Road. Plenty of motels there, my favorite being the Israeli owned one(The Green House). A single room with AC and hot shower can be had for US$10. Remember you gotta bargain. If you can afford a decent budget, say $30 and above go to Sukumvit areas. Try Sukumvit 11 or 3. There should be plenty near Nana's Plaza. Also remember Sukumvit 3 has the largest Arabic diners if

you're into grabbing Shawarma on an odd night.

Food there is dirt cheap and sold throughout the night by street vendors. Let's hope inaadan aheyn dadka wiswiska badan. U bismileeso and gulp it down. Wanna experiment exotic food, try deep fried grasshoppers with chili sauce. You will find the street vendors in Khaosan road selling them. If not hop a bus or taxi and head to Bangkok's Red light district and you will get them there.

Patpong(Red Light District) isn't your typical western red light area. I'll let you

explore, have a laugh, get shocked and find out on your own on this one. Do let us know what

you think of the place later on.

You should not leave Bangkok without visiting Sirocco restaurant. Its an exquisite roof

top joint. A little pricey but worth the visit, located on The Dome at Sate Tower 1055 Silom Road.

Peruse this link below:

http://www.khaosanroad.com/index.html

Safar wanaagsan.

Val, this is an amazing opportunity, hope you enjoy your journey of discovery through Asia and that you come back safely! inshallah!!. Although I haven’t travelled as often as I would have liked. I never really plan anything as I go with the wind. Have no expectations as this will kill the excitement! Make an itinerary of the sights you want to see but don’t over plan it.

Saalam and good luck Val

STOIC   

Val,

My current roommate who also happen to be my collegemate is originally from Vietnam-he is a vietnamese American. I'd ask him what type of food you will probably enjoy.He has tasted my bariis (lol) though I can't say they have the best food, but still I think you can manage it! Have safe trip!

wow..good luck. i am not into asian trips but i will recommend alot of vaccinations.

try to get hold of ogmoti and let us know how many indhayar kids hes hidding...lol

good luck and we pray 4 yah. keep us inform of trip movements.