Suldaanka

The mother of 'Federal Government" as it is known, wants to disown her child

galbeedi   

In 1960 when the blue flag was raised in Hargeisa at midnight, there was little drizzle of rain. People were huddling together both men and women. 

in the subsequent flowing years, when someone felt anxiety of depressed ,m people used to say, " Waar way bugtaaye bandhiga beerta xoriyada geeya"

The people are the same. We crossed many mountains and rivers like mist nations do. People fall in their lifetime rise. Why we Somalis refuse ro rise and take our place among free nations of the world.

We are nomads by nature. We can not be quarantined or caged in small enclave. I was born in deep West of the republic , yet I am thriving in continental North America. A gas station in my neighborhood has more revenue than Borama city.

Major wars took place between the nations and even among people residing in their own nations. They forget the past and move on. 

galbeedi   
9 minutes ago, Oodweyne said:

So keep at it. It sure as hell will make your eternal exile from Awdal that much more liveable condition to put up with. 

Who says I can not visit Awdal and Hargeisa my favourite places?

Malaga yaabaa in aan adiga ku xidho. I even know a certain police chief in Hargeisa, and might ask for your arrest. In fact, the last time I visited there , i did not even went through the immigration. My passport was stamped, paid the visa and left through the VIP.,

galbeedi   
8 minutes ago, Apophis said:

and who knows what crimes you committed to exile yourself to frigid Canadian wasteland

Apophis ,

Let alone blood or other crimes, I never wronged another Somali and neven consumed an illegal dollar in my life .

Weligay qof Somaliya kuma dulmin dalkii hooyo, shillin xaaran ahna ma cunin.

I am and always was a law abiding citizen. 

biyo-cad   

I agree we need to let the pirates go free and create their own homeland.  Somalia had only one chance and a dictator by the name of Afweyne killed that dream.

On 2/8/2020 at 6:27 PM, maakhiri1 said:

It maybe to new to some now, but PL has always being playing a game, but they were always closet secessionist 

NIMANKU SL waxba kama sokeeyaan.

Munaafaqadda waa lagu ogaa. But the days when One leg in, one leg out used to get them the best of both world is coming to an end. 

• Haha - That was funny. You made me laugh! 1

Of relevance to the topic, Faisal Roobleh, formerly a staunch opponent of Somaliland and man who used to attend every gathering or conference that somehow is anti-Somaliland in nature, has been changing his tune as of late. This is his latest posts. 

The question still remains whether federal member states learn lessons from Somaliland on confidence, having clear goals and objectives, and relying more on the wisdom of their people than IC officers in Nairobi and Addis Ababa.

-------

Federal Member States: Lessons to be learned from Somaliland

Somalia, as it exists today, is a geographic expression with three layers of mini-states: (1) Somaliland, (2) Puntland and Jubbaland, and (3) Hirshabelle, Southwest, and Galmudug.

These three layers are at different stages in state formation and deal with both Villa Somalia and the outside world accordingly.

Somaliland is a class by itself. Most Western journalists treat it as an independent country. Ethiopia and Djibouti do so although under the cover of trade cooperation. Donor countries also recognize that Somaliland has secured peace, a modicum of state stability, and a heightened self or national confidence and cohesion that needn't be disrupted.

The 2012-2016 compact (a phantom new deal), now a relic document collecting dust in a shelf inside Villa Somalia, treated Somaliland as a separate entity from the rest of Somalia. It was inadvertently a de facto recognition of Somaliland by both Villa Somalia and the International Community. Farmajo, therefore, must not disturb Somaliland, maintains the IC, or else his aid will suffer.

The second category is a loose association consisting of Puntland and Jubbaland. Until recently, Puntland was treated by Villa Somalia as a strong pillar in keeping the federal system together. However, due to devious politicians from that region, the hard work done towards federalism since the end of the Somalia civil war is largely compromised.

The root cause of this is Puntland's own intricate clan system that is highly politicized. Each and every politician from Puntland (be a parliamentarian, a minister, or even civil society leaders) highly utilize clan and sub-clan politics for political offices.

One of the major problems President Said Deni is facing is not Villa Somali being strong, but rather clan political peddlers, especially those ministers close to Villa Somalia, weaponzing sub-clan politics. In the last three years, Villa Somalia’s vicious politics of division has proliferated Puntland to a point where it created discordant conditions.

As to Jubbaland, it has never been given time to complete federal member state formation. Early in its infancy, it was at war with Hassan Sheikh's administration. We recall Abdullahi Godah's bravado and his provocative statements when he was interior minister.

Following a respite and a short-lived stability, thanks to the administration of Hassan Sheikh Mohamoud's final awakening to endorse collaboration than confrontation, Farmajo came to office in 2017 with venom and political, some say, clan vendetta against Ahmed Madobe. Facts are now emerging that he even tried to kidnap Ahmed Modobe while he was on a business visit to Mogadishu.

Jubbaland is today anything but stable, and the state formation process is severely hampered. As a matter of fact, it is on the verge of war with Villa Somalia as Farmajo manipulates military might and the mischief of clan politics. By sawing hyperbolic clan sentiment in Gado, the region is on the verge of military conflict.

The third group is nothing but an extension of Villa Somalia. Leaders in this group have voluntarily given up their constitutional rights and legitimate roles that are guaranteed to states. They seem to be comfortable to exist under the shadow of Villa Somalia as long as their positions are protected by Farmajo.

The trio region is weak in governance and seems to enjoy less credibility with the people they claim to represent but pride over the cozy relationship they enjoy with Villa Somalia.

Concluding Remarks

1. Puntland must reassert itself even if it emulates Somaliland by calling for a full autonomy short of secession and continue the course until Villa Somalia comes to the table for a serious deliberation around the draft constitution. If it cannot do that, it may as well join hands with group three.

One of the successful attributes of why the leaders of Somaliland seem strong is that they rely more on the support of their people and most of the time ignore donor sentiments when it comes to state formation and politics. And that is the right way to govern your people. Whether Puntland can learn such a lesson from its neighbor remains to be seen.

2. Jubbaland has shown a meek face in a time of adversity. One serious problem with Jubbaland is its over-consciousness of what the donor community (USA and EU missions) would say if Ahmed Madobe asserts himself. Such psychology led to the erosion of Ahmed Madobe's confidence in his people and in the cause for which he says he stands. Guaranteed Jubbaland is complex and the clan relationship is more precarious here. However, Ahmed Madobe can't watch things deteriorate and always give in to what the donor community says while Mohamed Farmajo amasses troops in Gedo.

He better assert himself in the face a brewing invasion. Until now, Farmajo has been waging a psychological war and Soviet-style propaganda against Jubbaland. Now, it seems he wants to declare war! And Ahmed Madobe's side has been awfully silent because of fear of what the donors would say! If such a silence continues, the governed in Jubbaland will also lose confidence in its leadership. Delay is death!

3. The third group does not need any recommendation. President Ware was the first of the pack Farmajo successfully tamed. In October 2017, he was a focal advocate for federal member states’ rights and roles. He emerged as the spokesperson for the states following a conference in Kismanyo. Upon his return, though, Farmajo so severely punished him by stopping about $400,000 promised for institutional building. I was with him at Halane Camp in Mogadishu, when President Ware received a scornful call from the Deputy Minister for Finance and told him the “he was not getting the money.” Mr. Ware almost fainted then abruptly left the meeting. From that day one, he became an obedient soldier of Farmajo’s. The other two have followed suit.

The question still remains whether federal member states learn lessons from Somaliland on confidence, having clear goals and objectives, and relying more on the wisdom of their people than IC officers in Nairobi and Addis Ababa.

--------- 

• Thanks 1

I am amazed by the sheer stupidity, naivety and outright buffoonery of Puntland detractors on SOL. 😁

Puntland is Somalia and Somalia is Puntland. Now how hard can that be, eh!

Puntland shall never stoop to the level of nor join the ranks of the hapless and inconsequential. Somalilanders of the north who for the last 30 years or so been bleating about like deranged mooncalves about secession and have nothing to show for it.

You daft S.O.Bs need to know is that Puntland has set Somalia on an irreversible course and by God you dimwits will be dragged along kicking and screaming until a united, strong and federal republic is fully realized. Don’t let the petty sideshow of Somali politics fool you into believing anything else.

Forewarned is forearmed, right? 👍

• Thanks 1

Dhaqaale   
1 hour ago, Tillamook said:

I am amazed by the sheer stupidity, naivety and outright buffoonery of Puntland detractors on SOL. 😁

Puntland shall never stoop to the level of nor join the ranks of the hapless and inconsequential. Somalilanders of the north who for the last 30 years or so been bleating about like deranged mooncalves about secession and have nothing to show for it.

You daft S.O.Bs need to know is that Puntland has set Somalia on an irreversible course and by God you dimwits will be dragged along kicking and screaming until a united, strong and federal republic is fully realized. Don’t let the petty sideshow of Somali politics fool you into believing anything else.

I tried to explain this to the bushmen of the north aka Somaliland about the strong Somali nationalism of Puntland but alas they are not use to working for the greater good only their own selfish small minded ends as you have so elegantly pointed out.

7 hours ago, Tillamook said:

Somalis are emotional bunch. You triggered Oodweyne into writing a term paper.

Oodka,

Our Pirateland folks on SOL are putting up on the usual brave face.  They know the Cheeseman without much of an effort at all is destroying the 'Clan Federalism' that the Pirateboys championed for so long. 

If Cheeseman is able to single handedly put a big question mark on the viability of the clan fiefdoms, then I have to say the Pirateboy will have very little chance if a strong leader with a Centralist agenda assumes power in Mogadishu, specially one from the  More-yaan group.

With failing economy, shrinking influence and most importantly deteriorating security, Pirateland is watching & waiting for the perfect storm forming. It is inevitable that Pirateland will either do something silly i.e. try to follow Somaliland. Or succumb to the forces from Mogadishu. They are between a rock and a hardplace. 

• Haha - That was funny. You made me laugh! 1

Haatu   
On 2/7/2020 at 7:32 PM, Che -Guevara said:

Don't confuse oligarchs with the people.

When speaking about politics, no one ever intends the mindless masses who just do what they're told. What we're discussing are the positions and beliefs of the elite who run the show. And call me cynical, but I believe the NE elite to be closet seccionists. Their idea of unity is sharing a passport and that's it. They are more contemptible in my eyes than the rabid snm. 

Haatu   
20 hours ago, Apophis said:

What is wrong with just sharing a passport or a loose confederation? What is wrong with being like the UAE?

A UEA type union is much more preferably than a system where a wannabe dictator like Farmajo can rise to misrule and kill all opposed to him.

decentralisation should always be welcomed.

A confederation in the Somali context is one step away from balkanization. No sane person who has any interest in Somali unity would advocate for it.

Haatu   
20 hours ago, Oodweyne said:

Haatu,

Saaxiib, I will pass it over in hurry just so that I will not notice that such needling words, like "rabid", is what you have described us in Somaliland. For I shall afford you benefit of the doubt, at least this time around. Or perhaps, I shall "assigned" that to be the sole product from a slip of the tongue. And therefore it was not intended by you to be "malicious" as it first reads it from the screen (as it were).

But I must say what we as the SNM's folks, or Somaliland in general, are known for is not an "act of cowardice" from our objective, be it political or be it historical. Or at least we don't try to "hide" that in plain sight. 

The other night you call this "is-faanis" on my part, as if I was "flattering" my people. And I took exception to that. Which was when I said to you, rather heatedly, that we in Somaliland, actually, have "no-two-face-approach-to-things", particularly if they matter to us. And we, moreover, call things as we see them, regardless of how that may be unpleasant to some folks.

Hence in here let me say that what the political elites of Pirate-land currently lack, and they have lacked ever since 1991, and again they lacked as far back as in 1998 which was when they have created their current state, was the "courage" to be true to their "innate political interests", come what may. As much we in Somaliland were always and forever be so "unbendingly truthful" to our "political agenda". And that was the case with us from the first get-go of 1991. And it's still the case with us in Somaliland even now in 2020, come hell or high-water. 

That is difference.

There is nothing malicious intended. I wish the people of Somaliland nothing but good and harbour no ill-will towards them. However, I must repeat to you what I said to Che. When discussing politics, I intend not the mindless masses who simply do as they're told, but rather the elite that control them. I don't believe in fanciful notions such as 'the people's will' or 'sovereignty for the people'. The 'will of the public' can be and is engineered by the elite the world over. Having lived through Brexit Britain I am sure you are well aware of that. In Somaliland's context, the elite means the SNM and their remnants, and my dislike for the SNM and their politics should come as no surprise to you. I fully believe that after the jidbo of the 1960s died down, the SNM elite came to a realisation that the qabyaalad of the South was such that they would forever be denied the top job. They then realised how naive they had been to surrender their 'sovereignty' to the South condition-free. The outcome of such a realisation was that from the get-go, the struggle of the SNM was all about secession so they could at last sit on the top seat. MSB's atrocities just added fuel to the fire but the initial objective was there all along.

I can't hate them for that, for after all nin rag ah weligii wuxuu ku taamaa siduu wax u maamuli lahaa. But as a believer of Soomaaliweyn, secession in any guise is inimical to my worldview, hence why I find it contemptible. But at least I respect the SNM for having the courage to make apparent what they truly desire. However, I reserve my real contempt for those who lack the courage to make their true intentions apparent and instead spend every waking breath sabotaging the re-emergence of a strong Somali state. Hadday warkooda caddayn lahaayeen, mar horaa laga tashan lahaa and the rest of the South would have moved forward. But this useless dastuur and federalism have been the prime weapons with which the oligarchs of NE have used to sabotage the Central Government. I am glad we finally have an administration in Xamar that is hellbent on addressing the root cause of the constitutional crisis in the country and may Allah be with them.