Suldaanka

Year 2020 - an eventful year for Somaliland

This is great improvement.The land database in Somaliland has been a consistent headache and cause for a lot of troubles including missing files, disputes etc. 

The introduction of GIS system will greatly simplify while at the same time is more secure and more reliable.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

YaxaaS   
49 minutes ago, Suldaanka said:

The introduction of GIS system will greatly simplify while at the same time is more secure and more reliable. 

Time and tide wait for no man. Great progress, should help minimize disputes over ownership of land / property. 

• Thanks 2

Somaliland Gov't will be carrying out mineral resources prospecting and research in Selel area. There are rumours of huge rare-earth precious metals deposits in the rift valley depression near the border between Somaliland+Ethiopia and Djibouti. 

• Thanks 1

YaxaaS   

Dawning of a new era. Incredible how work continues unabated at the original port at full capacity  during the expansion.  

173451304_Berberadawn.jpeg.f13514ce4272b77ac221e959c286366c.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Just last 2 weeks Somaliland has exported close to 500 thousand heads of livestock to Suadi Arabia, UAE and Egypt. Egypt has become a huge market since the start of this year, ordering approx 20,000 heads of sheep every month. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

YaxaaS   
3 hours ago, Timacaddeh said:

This is fantastic news! We need to diversify the number of markets we are able to sell into, so that when the likes of Saudi Arabia come up with the next bullshit reason to block shipment of Somaliland livestock to them, there are other markets to still sell to. The addition of Egypt as a major new market is huge!

👍

We need to transition away from live animal exporting towards a frozen meat trade.

The animals would be saved from the suffering of the voyage

It’s worth more to the Somaliland economy to process animals in Somaliland, instead of shipping them live (leather). Meat processing facilities would create thousands of jobs.

Farmers selling to the frozen meat trade would be exposed to less risk from closed markets or markets disrupted by disasters.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

YaxaaS   
9 minutes ago, Timacaddeh said:

Extremely good points, that to be fair had never come cross my mind until I thought about the fact that the majority of Lamb and Mutton that is available in the UK comes from New Zealand. When I think about it in light of your point above, it becomes obvious that the more often than not it is frozen meat rather than live animals that are shipped from New Zealand.

I have no knowledge of this industry at all but my feeling is that the biggest hurdle to overcome would be more about ensuring the quality and healthiness/safety of the product, rather then facility or workforce challenges.

Seems we've had a crack at this, 😄 but there is room for improvment.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2