Suldaanka

Year 2020 - an eventful year for Somaliland

Minister Seed, one of the most hard working ministers in Pres. MBC's cabinet. 

For the first time, Somaliland Gov't has purchased back the surplus wheat and Sorghum produced by Somaliland's farmers. 

The surplus food will be stored by the gov't for use in the years ahead when the need arises. 

• Thanks 1

Tallaabo   
7 hours ago, Suldaanka said:

Minister Seed, one of the most hard working ministers in Pres. MBC's cabinet. 

For the first time, Somaliland Gov't has purchased back the surplus wheat and Sorghum produced by Somaliland's farmers. 

The surplus food will be stored by the gov't for use in the years ahead when the need arises. 

There also needs to be an urgent solution to the huge problem we have regarding fruit and vegetable production. Every year our farmers produce a lot of fresh organic fruits and vegetables in some of the seasons and the the markets get flooded with cheap produce in those seasons only therefore not making enough profits for the hardworking farmers. The government should implement a similar scheme for fruit and vegetable farmers whereby the government buys the excess produce and converts it into long shelf life foods. These processed foods can then be sold back in the markets recovering the initial cost of production and at the same time keeping our shops well stocked with cheap quality food. This is also the best way we can stop the sub-standard often expired food our traders import from the UAE, China, and other places. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Tallaabo   
On 7/11/2020 at 4:35 PM, YaxaaS said:

I like what the minister said in this broadcast. This is the first time I heard our government talk about the mess that is entangled wires over every street in Somaliland. Basically still today every provider of electricity in the country also sets up their own separate wire connections to customers homes contributing to the problem. I think now is the time to tackle this issue and start setting up the foundations of a modern national electricity grid where energy providers worry about only energy production aspects of their business and leave the distribution side of the operation to an independent publicly owned National Grid Company. 

• Thanks 2

4 hours ago, Tallaabo said:

There also needs to be an urgent solution to the huge problem we have regarding fruit and vegetable production. Every year our farmers produce a lot of fresh organic fruits and vegetables in some of the seasons and the the markets get flooded with cheap produce in those seasons only therefore not making enough profits for the hardworking farmers. The government should implement a similar scheme for fruit and vegetable farmers whereby the government buys the excess produce and converts it into long shelf life foods. These processed foods can then be sold back in the markets recovering the initial cost of production and at the same time keeping our shops well stocked with cheap quality food. This is also the best way we can stop the sub-standard often expired food our traders import from the UAE, China, and other places. 

I understand where you are coming from. But Since fresh produce is a perishable product there is little incentive for the gov't to purchase it. 

I think what the gov't can do and it is just started doing is to help farmers on availability of their produce, teach land management techniques and coordinate regions to schedule on different times of the calendar so they do not all harvest the same product. Availability is a huge problem which is why the gov't won't stop imported goods. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Tallaabo   
6 minutes ago, Suldaanka said:

I understand where you are coming from. But Since fresh produce is a perishable product there is little incentive for the gov't to purchase it. 

I think what the gov't can do and it is just started doing is to help farmers on availability of their produce, teach land management techniques and coordinate regions to schedule on different times of the calendar so they do not all harvest the same product. Availability is a huge problem which is why the gov't won't stop imported goods. 

The fact that fruits and vegetables have short shelve life is the reason our farmers should be helped by the government- buying their excess produce to turn them into processed foods for use throughout the year. 

• Thanks 2

On 7/14/2020 at 1:13 AM, Oodweyne said:

Suldaanka And Tallaabo,

I agree we need to upgrade our game now that we have Taiwan helping us to build factories and Large-scale farming, which they have done in various places like Indonesia, Hence, they have a know-how of how to build these sort of stuff of turning perishable foodstuffs into a process manufactured goods. One of the things we should do is to invite companies of that kind to established themselves in our country. Also, they are also very good at grid planning and grid-distribution, hence say, Berbera, we can invite one of their solar-generating electric companies, to invest there. And then, you can scale up from a local point of view, but allowing our companies in other regions to learn from them. which means, the best practice and then, transfer of that knowledge to the other cities and to other regions of the country.  

Indeed. The key to this are 1. lower energy costs, 2. investment in technical know-how and new skills i.e. machinery etc. 3. small scale food packaging and manufacturing, 4. Tax incentives (i.e. imported foods to be tax higher than locally produced ones). 

• Thanks 2

11 hours ago, maakhiri1 said:

SULDAANKA, What is going on here?

Always take good amount of salt when it comes to a single source of news. :D