Suldaanka

Year 2020 - an eventful year for Somaliland

5 hours ago, Tallaabo said:

Still no development of the Berbera cement plant? As there is no shortage of funds in the country to build that factory, the ridiculous clan rivalry is in the way I guess. 

Indeed, the funds are there, the interest is there, the business people are circling. Why it isn't it going ahead? my guess is as good as yours. 

• Like 1

Tallaabo   
9 hours ago, Suldaanka said:

Indeed, the funds are there, the interest is there, the business people are circling. Why it isn't it going ahead? my guess is as good as yours. 

This only proofs that all the successive governments in Somaliland never had the economic development of the country as a top priority. During Silaanyo's term Dahabshiil wanted to rebuild it but a certain clan in Saaxil came out in force and stopped it!! I don't blame the clan at all as there is a lot of rivalry and suspicion amongst our people but the Silaanyo's government and those before him should have developed a national investment bank where any investor in the country could deposit funds and buy shares in any publicly owned business enterprise in Somaliland. That way we could have had not only the cement factory rebuild but also developed many other industries including power production, steel, mining, agriculture, fisheries, consumer goods, etc, growing the economy and reducing unemployment in the process. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

YaxaaS   
20 minutes ago, Timacaddeh said:

A great addition to Somaliland

Yes sxb these UBER/Deliveroo style companies are a fantastic addition to Somaliland economy providing flexible employment for young and old. I remember visiting Kampala, Uganda 10 years ago and seeing their youth sitting on their motorbikes (sometimes sleeping on them overnight), in every corner of the city, haggling to give a lift to any passer-by. They literally were the lifeline for travelling around the city very nippy and cheap and efficient.  

• Thanks 1

YaxaaS   
11 minutes ago, Timacaddeh said:

It's great progress that I want to see more off. It's adding unique, job-creating revenue streams to the economy. One of the things that disappoints me a little with our diaspora, is that we are essentially copycats. Don't get me wrong they are the lifeblood of Somaliland and its economy, but there is room for constructive criticism I think.

Anybody that wants to reinvest back home tends to open businesses of which a thousand different ones already exist i.e. a Bakhaar, a restaurant etc. Though any and all investment is of course welcomed, I'd like to see more people thinking creatively and addressing the vast number of of gaps that exist in the market, like this company did.

Agree with you 100%.  I think this is changing, albeit slowly, as the generation of diaspora changes. The new generation of diaspora are starting to filter through with fresh innovative ideas.  We just need to attract more of them.  Who better to attract them than their peers?  Vloggers like Khalid Osman on YouTube and many more, provide an invaluable service in showing that Somaliland is not just their ancestral home, but their future! Suldaanka posted a YouTube video few months ago, of a Somalilander (Bike and Fish) cycling through Somaliland, how unique and mystifying was that. Imagine the tour de Somaliland!

YaxaaS   

Speaking of efficiency and affordability  this is a great way to maximise land use.  Six decent size houses on 2 (Hargeisa) plots.  It should be mandatory for every house built, to pave the first metre or two of land in front of his/her house and have solar lighting on the walls facing that pavement.  They just need to add solar panels and guttering on the roof to capture rainwater!  New generation of architects and developers. Now we just need to be original with names, everything doesnt need a SOM infront of it! SOMGAS SOMTEL SOMCABLE SOMPROPERTY enough already!

• Like 1

YaxaaS   

Beats arguing with sadomasochists! 😄

One of the most inspiring and genuine Somalilanders is the ‘DOCTOR’ in this video.  He encapsulates all the is good with Somaliland! Pity about the reporter, no idea why they don't script their questions before conducting an interview! Luckily the interviewee more than made up for it.

• Thanks 1

YaxaaS   
13 hours ago, Timacaddeh said:

It's great progress that I want to see more off. It's adding unique, job-creating revenue streams to the economy. One of the things that disappoints me a little with our diaspora, is that we are essentially copycats. Don't get me wrong they are the lifeblood of Somaliland and its economy, but there is room for constructive criticism I think.

Anybody that wants to reinvest back home tends to open businesses of which a thousand different ones already exist i.e. a Bakhaar, a restaurant etc. Though any and all investment is of course welcomed, I'd like to see more people thinking creatively and addressing the vast number of of gaps that exist in the market, like this company did.

Thinking outside the box!

If you’re going to have restaurants and cafeterias, why not take a chance and locate them in high traffic, motorways between major cities. The demand is clearly there.  Some travellers especially those on buses and trucks have been on long journeys and require toilet breaks, rest and food. It would also ensure ‘safer’ driving. A picturesque landscape location is a bonus not a prerequisite!

1208788109_pitstop.thumb.jpg.1e616c34496f5f3bbfa41e4a446ee412.jpg

There are already individuals who took such a chance and are succeeding, not only is their remote highway hotel used by travellers but also by NGOs who work in the field.

• Like 1

YaxaaS   

South Africa's Table Mountain named  as the best tourist destination on the continent.

How about it Somaliland?

727013742_TableMoun.thumb.jpg.da0479bdda48c987a83ee389c8f4e61a.jpg

• Like 1

YaxaaS   
On 6/24/2020 at 9:49 AM, Tallaabo said:

This only proofs that all the successive governments in Somaliland never had the economic development of the country as a top priority. During Silaanyo's term Dahabshiil wanted to rebuild it but a certain clan in Saaxil came out in force and stopped it!! I don't blame the clan at all as there is a lot of rivalry and suspicion amongst our people but the Silaanyo's government and those before him should have developed a national investment bank where any investor in the country could deposit funds and buy shares in any publicly owned business enterprise in Somaliland. That way we could have had not only the cement factory rebuild but also developed many other industries including power production, steel, mining, agriculture, fisheries, consumer goods, etc, growing the economy and reducing unemployment in the process. 

Voila !

• Thanks 1