Sign in to follow this  
NGONGE

Bad Habits

Sincere   

Lol@Zeph....If I was a gambling man I would wager there's a hint of sarcasm in your comment smile.gif . Anyway ever watch the movie Belly? Thats where the handle comes from (I draw slight similarities to the character).... besides I am very discreet and sincere.. ;) (im kidding dont read anything into that)

Exits quitely before this thread erupts in righteous indignation

Jacpher   

Personal attacks are definitely not the best way to correct bad habits. Muslims or shall I say believers are supposed to be mirrors to each other.

One way I combat with bad habit is by reading books on Islamic morals, manners and etiquettes.

Originally posted by Sincere:

I was a gambling man I would wager there's a hint of sarcasm in your comment
smile.gif
. Anyway ever watch the movie Belly? Thats where the handle comes from (I draw slight similarities to the character)....

No, I haven't seen the movie and there was no hint of sarcasm (lol..guess that would have been a bad bet). :D

NGONGE   

Originally posted by Rahima:

quote: There is nothing wrong with growing a beard and shortening one's trousers! When has that become an insult?

As I was thinking!
No. Sadly, you were not (thinking), Rahima.

In order for one to ‘think’ one has to absorb the information, process it, understand it, compare it to past experiences and knowledge and finally either arrive at new knowledge or nothing at all.

Imagine having dirty clothes and needing to have them washed. We live at a time where we use powerful washing machines and super efficient detergents. Nowadays, all you have to do to clean your clothes is to drop them in a washing machine and press a button. This works for all kinds of fabrics and clothes. Just press a button.

The process is more or less the same as thinking. In go the clothes, the programmed washing machine processes them and we finally take them out nice and clean. This automatic method though, is ok with dirty clothes but a complete tragedy when applied to ideas. Wholesale processing is no good here. Only a hand wash will do. One needs to do the washing with one’s own hands and see the stains with one’s own eyes (and clear them away). A pre-programmed washing machine, as you’re aware, misses a lot.

Now, let us get back to our issue and ‘think’. Got your bucket ready? Let us begin:

You and FF decided that the mere mention of long beards and short trousers constitutes an insult! You both, one assumes, were in a hurry and were not in the mood for a hand wash. Never fear, I’ll personally do the washing here, you just sit and keep me company.

Neither short trousers nor long beards are an insult. Insulting the brother was not my intention. My intention was to shame him into working on his manners.

Here comes the slow hand wash:

A man with a long beard and short trousers, by custom, is usually a mullah (or do you prefer the word wadaad). A wadaad that displays no manners is nothing but a pseudo-wadaad. NOW RINSE. A pseudo-wadaad that really has good intentions (but his knowledge lets him down) need not worry about superficial issues such as long beards and short trousers, those can come later. First he needs to work on his manners and approach. RINSE AGAIN.

The above is nothing new and one expects most people to already know. However, when people fall into the bad habit of being hasty and never spending the time to think things through, such simple everyday thoughts become gems of wisdom.

Many would berate me for repeating myself or wasting my time on stating the obvious. However, when it comes to my beloved Mullahs, I just can’t help myself. By acting the way they do, they’ve taken on a responsibility that they should be fully capable and able to meet. None of us are infallible of course. Yet, many a shabby Mullah will act as if they are. Now, if I was acting in such a way I’ll at least excuse my actions by arguing that I’ve never pretended to be a Mullah of any sort and hardly ever dealt out verses and ahadeeth. Still, if I ever were to do so, I would make damn sure that I understood every verse and hadeeth that I utter before spitting it out in the public domain and misleading others.

Khayr   

Salams,

Religion is not immune to bad habits. In fact, a religion with creaky foundations is the nucleus of all bad habits
; sporadic and patchy knowledge invites bad habits. Nonetheless, many of the worst offenders cite religion as the pantheon of all good habits! Many seem to believe that no good habits existed before the revelation of their own faith! A Christian would quote Jesus, a Jew Moses and (many of our fellow) Muslims habitually bore us with tales of Islamic good deeds. More often than not, these stories are out of context or incomplete. The reason? BAD HABITS.

Religion is not immune to bad habits. In fact, a religion with creaky foundations is the nucleus of all bad habits

:eek:

Saxib I am a little confused here, :confused:

CAN YOU NAME SOME OF THESE RELIGIONS???

There are countless pre-Islamic poems and verses written on the subject of bad habits, mostly disparaging such habits and vilifying their holders. Dishonesty, impertinence, anger, haste, fraudulence, tediousness and a dozen other vile habits are mocked and ridiculed.
The old non-believers despised them; the sporadically learned Muslims embrace them!
How could one get over such bad habits?

"Dishonesty, impertinence, anger, haste, fraudulence, tediousness and a dozen other vile habits are mocked and ridiculed."

So let me get this,

sporadically learned Muslims are not Believers and are infact Munafiqs cause Dishonesty is not a characteristic of a Believer/Mumin

or

Are you just saying that those that DISAGREE WITH YOU (with a Pro-Traditional Islam inclination)HAVE BAD HABITS (and precisely the fact that they disagree with YOU is a 'Bad Habit'???

The storytellers of today use them to lend weight and piousness to their work but display no morals in the stories they tell. Worse still, the stories are regularly sprinkled with sayings of prophets and verses from holy books, therefore compounding the misdeeds.

NGONGE,

I have only QUOTED you saxib this time around. :D

Fi Amanillah

ADNAAN   

Salaam

Both bad and good old habits die hard or so I was told, but when it comes to some wadaadyo or shuyuukh ( call them wat u please) who seem to convey their messages in a head on confrontational style its just best to avoid them or even take the chance to go the extra mile, you could educate them or rather refresh their memories by reasoning with them, after all its in the Quraan where it says ‘wadcu ilaa sabiili rabika bil xikmati wal mawcidati al hasanaâ€, two wrongs do not add up to a right. I have personally met many intellectually capable and clever shuyuukh but as a bad habit I have always taken there advice for granted.

Bad habits do vary extensively some may have a wider impact than others and could take their toll in any community, it was just yesterday when it was reported in the local news of my city how the jad “qad†business is effecting the streets of some areas of the city and also the lives of the addicts. A group of Somalis have recently started selling this drug in the boots of their cars; as a result the young and the old have started chewing around these car parks even chewing next to bus shelters. Unfortunately they have littered these streets with qaat leaves and wrappings, ending it in an ever unpleasant result which portrays the whole community in a bad light. And on top of all that, they have become an unbearable nuisance to their neighbours, for the record let me state that in my community where i live the good outweighs the bad.(just incase :cool: )

Xoogsade   

Wow! NGONGE, Xiinfaniin, And Fidel, each one made good points. Many others did write well too. Very talented guys.

Fidel

I hope the habits you so loyally and fondly tend to are good ones.

Castro   

Originally posted by Xoogsade:

I hope the habits you so loyally and fondly tend to are good ones.

Indeed they are brother Xoogsade.

NGONGE   

That was a great read. Thanks OG.

Khayr,

I can rewrite this piece with simpler words and easy to follow sentences, but I wont. I can’t help being mischievous; it’s a bad habit of mine, saaxib. You need to rise above the mischief and try to decipher the points being made.

I believe that the vast majority of people on this site have the ability to read (when they’re in a good mood) but I also KNOW that most are too excitable and forget all the basic rules of reading the minute they come across something remotely provocative.

In your case Khayer, you’re acting like the man who when his sister came crying and wailing to tell him that his father has died, started shouting at her and telling her to stop crying. Furthermore, when his brother came and calmly told him the same news, he got upset and accused the brother of not caring for their dead father! Regardless of the way the news was related, the father, of course, remains dead.

That I scream when dealing with any topic or appear indifferent in my style should not really matter, what matters is the point I’m making.

I hope you were calm enough when reading these words and now know the point being made. I wont be surprised if you don’t. I also wont be flabbergasted if our precious Haddad comes out in your defence and exposes me yet again with the unanswerable question “How do you know that his father is dead?†:D

NGONGE   

^^ Good point, well made. However, Ya ku yedhi waxano wa hadal?

Instead of leaving the comfort of your chat room to spit out a pointless maahmaah, how about you pay some attention and read some of the wisdom I'm sprinkling your way, adeer?

I will not be here for ever, you know. Markan ediin ka tago ayaad ku walanaysaan ‘ninka woxo ahaa nin celmi eyo xikmad meedhan leh’. Taana wa badawnimo, saaxib. Marka, maah maahyadan mala yacniga mad ega daysid oo kaalay ega faayadisow, adeer.

PS

Do you have a proverb to describe such a situation?

Castro   

Originally posted by NGONGE:

I will not be here for ever, you know. Markan ediin ka tago ayaad ku walanaysaan ‘ninka woxo ahaa nin celmi eyo xikmad meedhan leh’.

You're absolutely right, Ngonge. It's like painters, whose paintings don't become popular, understood or highly valued until he or she is long dead and buried. So, won't you be a good boy and kick the bucket, quick? :D