Sign in to follow this  
NGONGE

Bad Habits

Khayr   

Salaamz,

From Abu Hurairah from the prophet (salallahu caliyhe wasilm): The Believer is Simple, Generous (noble in character)and the sinner is Cunning, Cowarldy)

NGONGE's quotes

There are countless pre-Islamic poems and verses written on the subject of bad habits, mostly disparaging such habits and vilifying their holders. Dishonesty, impertinence, anger, haste, fraudulence, tediousness and a dozen other vile habits are mocked and ridiculed. The old non-believers despised them; the sporadically learned Muslims embrace them! How could one get over such bad habits? Would prayers help? Would choosing good friends do it? How about completely adhering to a faith and following its tenants to the letter, would that do it? Perhaps threats are the best way of stopping the spread of bad habits! Could the perpetual threats of hell and eternal damnation do it? Maybe there is no such thing as bad habits and it’s all relative!

Do you have bad habits? What is your worst habit?

PLEASE WATCH THE TONE OF THE AUTHOR AND THE UNDERLYING THEME BEHIND THE POST

Dishonesty, impertinence, anger, haste, fraudulence, tediousness and a dozen other vile habits are mocked and ridiculed. The old non-believers despised them; the sporadically learned Muslims embrace them!

! How could one get over such bad habits? Would prayers help? Would choosing good friends do it? How about completely adhering to a faith and following its tenants to the letter, would that do it?

Perhaps threats are the best way of stopping the spread of bad habits! Could the perpetual threats of hell and eternal damnation do it?

IN CONCULSION

If only more heads were scratched rather than beards stroked, if only...

NGONGE, WHAT IS THE UNDERLYING THEME HERE???

Fi Amanillah

Kheyr, I’m not skilled in the art of interspersing my posts with Islamic phrases…

…… but …..

Subxanallah :eek:

Are you seeing things? Or do you care to tell us what your underlying 'theme' is? :confused:

------------------------------------------------Ngonge writes:

Thus it’s clear that good habits were not an Islamic invention.

-------------------------------------------------

Ngonge

Wasn't the first human being a prophet of GOD? Did Adam not recieve guidance concerning what good and bad habits actually are? Have you forgotten his sons habiil and qaabil? One well mannered and and the other ill mannered?

He/she is drunk, how could he/she know right from wrong?

The fitrah also assists mankind to do good but can weaken under social pressure. That is why some non believers can be well mannered. But it is a very fragile force which when ignorant can be easily manipulated and abandoned. Before the fitrah is corrupted you feel it in your heart that this toxicant is bad for you. People drink alcohol for different reasons and it is usually to escape the painful reality.

Dishonesty, impertinence, anger, haste, fraudulence, tediousness and a dozen other vile habits are mocked and ridiculed. The old non-believers despised them; the sporadically learned Muslims embrace them

-----------------------------------------------

What old non believers? I am curious.

The author of this piece (the chief of the general section) seems to have gotten right in his emphasis on the universality of moral values in general and good habits in particular. In the pre-Islamic Arabia, one could argue, people possessed more commendable habits, for instance, than its inhabitants today. The bravery and commitment to worthy causes were amongst the numerous praiseworthy habits of that society and the absence of such admirable habits is painfully felt. Truth has always been a virtue and conformity to the standard. Likewise modesty and humility have throughout the ages been beneficial qualities in both genders. Chastity and purity in women had, since the dawn of man, been the standard of right and a measure of moral excellence. On the other hand the vile has never been a virtue. No one with sanity can claim that adultery had ever been a blessed habit.

In the same breath one can’t easily scoff the fact that virtues are indeed deeply rooted in divine guidance and that religion has always played a large role in shaping human behavior. It had truly been the mission of the prophet to leave a lasting contribution to the house of good habits. This, he said, is the essence of the Islamic message. And although, as Ngonge correctly pointed out, good habits existed before the Islamic message arrived, the moral deviation of pre-Islamic Arabs had indeed reached the zenith of its deterioration. It was the habit of the old non-believers to bury live and kicking girls of their blood in fear of shame and poverty (do you see parallel in this day’s abortion practices?). Gambling and excessive drinking were manly activities that few could dare not to participate. Killing was a fun of sort. In pre-Islamic Persia the moral picture was even worse. It was part of the culture for one to marry his sisters and aunts. One of the famous kings of Persia, it was reported, had twelve thousand females exclusive reserved for him! So Islam had indeed rescued large portion of humanity from an epoch of decomposing morals!

How can one sustain and recreate good habits? Be true to the values of your Islamic faith (not a faith or any faith), I say. Reject the trend of moral relativism and understand that all values have religion as their sources. Make sure you befriend with people whose habits are admirable and estimable. It was Abu-Tamaam, I think, who correctly said.

إذا جاريت بخلق دنيى

Ùأنت ومن تجاريه سواؤ

رأيت الحر يجتب المخازي

ويحميه من القدر الوÙاؤ

Do I have bad habits that I am willing to share? Hell no. But mine are numerous to count and not admirable at all. I have been riding these bad habits for some time. Pray for me that I get dismounted from them with ease.

NGONGE   

Originally posted by Khayr:

Salaamz,

From Abu Hurairah from the prophet (salallahu caliyhe wasilm): The Believer is Simple, Generous (noble in character)and the sinner is Cunning, Cowarldy)

If only more heads were scratched rather than beards stroked, if only...

NGONGE, WHAT IS THE UNDERLYING THEME HERE???

Fi Amanillah

The underlying theme was, bad habits, saaxib. Having read your post, and apart from knowing it’s nothing but the usual mechanical reactionary type of response, I’m also led to think that you either suffer from bad habits or you’re privy to divine knowledge, saaxib. What could it be?

Are you quoting the hadeeth for the fun of it or is there an ‘underlying theme’ here too? Who is the sinner and who is the believer?

Brother, before you lengthen your beard, shorten your trousers and fill the air with the praise of the almighty, you need to work on your manners. If you’ve bothered to read my post with a clear mind and an honest intention, you would have understood that I am criticising your kind of person. Sprinkling your posts with the odd hadeeth or random verse just for the sake of it is a very bad habit, saaxib.

Mudantii haweenka,

The answers you seek are all in the original post. Read it again and again. To read in haste is yet another bad habit.

OG_Girl   

Brother, before you lengthen your beard, shorten your trousers and fill the air with the praise of the almighty, you need to work on your manners.

icon14.gif @NGONGE.

Believe me when I see likes of Khayr is when I almost decide to throw all my religion books.What is the use to go Schools, Universities. Do degrees after degrees when anyone who goes to the Masjid few times, wore short khamees, grew some beard become al-mufti?

We need marje3eyah wa ela ro7na fehaa. Kol youm ya6la3lana 3alaim zamaneh.!!

Ya Allah!!

Salam

There is nothing wrong with growing a beard and shortening one's trousers! When has that become an insult?

Khayr,

I can't bother to think today. What are you trying to say in the midst of all the quotes?

Castro   

Originally posted by NGONGE:

Maybe there is no such thing as bad habits and it’s all relative!

Maybe? Definitely! One man's vice is another man's virtue, dear Ngonge. Proper credit to the utterer of this gem of an adage is due if only one knew his or her name. Plagiarism and I have ended our mutually non-beneficial relationship the same day a dictionary taught me the meaning of the word. Most people, as you mentioned, would do the same.

I am nothing if not for my bad habits. Mine are the product of years, if not decades, of careful and loving refinement. My habits enhance my living and I, in turn, make them look good. Mine have been there for me when summoned and I reward them with regularity and reinforcement. Quid pro quo, you see, and it's only fair. My habits deserve the same loving care as do my children, dear Ngonge, and I don't need my habits, I want them.

LuCkY   

^Interesting.

WeLL, aside from procrastination, I have this whatchumacaLLit habit of not going through with whatever it is that I start if it is Longer than two-three days. I just cant keep up with it. I have tried to change it but faiLed miserabLy.

Bess.   

Lol… true, my OTHER bad habits withstanding….I just found out recently that something I have always considered to be a great habit of mine…to be quite annoying and could be classified as a “bad habit†by others….since I was young I was always extremely organized and a bit of a neat freak…u might say I am bit neurotic about it….I hate messes…and I always clean them or put them to order…but apparently this has been driving my family and friends crazy and I have been recently told to stop as it makes them feel “badâ€â€¦.well, I can tell u my sol mates something…I personally refuse to stop it…as I don’t think it’s a “bad habitâ€â€¦at all….as the renowned Ngonge has said…

Maybe there is no such thing as bad habits and it’s all relative!

Baluug   

I think my worst habit is that when I see a stranger in the horizon,I urinate on the fire.

But seriously,I smoke.Very bad habit,and expensive,too.

It is a habit of Khayr's to appear from nowhere every once in a while, swoop down on us with doom or gloom or a heady combination of both. Cut the guy some slack, it's a bad habit of his. We all have them. ;)

Rahima   

There is nothing wrong with growing a beard and shortening one's trousers! When has that become an insult?

As I was thinking!

STOIC   

The funny thing about habit is that the bad ones always seems to creep on us so easily than the good ones.Is it because we don't think hard about slipping into bad habits?.Often, though not necessarily, people engage superficially in good habits because of future expectation of a reward. For example when a fellow student wants a good grade from a teacher he may polish up the writting board in return of being on the good side of the teacher(we use to call such lads the "board shiner").

I have many bad habits that seems to come so often in handy!.I am not the most generous in forgiving insults and injuries.I may harbor resentment and store up grudges(not petty ones) without showing you my true feelings.