Sign in to follow this  
General Duke

Haiti

_47103421_wyclef1_bodygetty.jpg

Wyclef Jean lends voice to Haiti earthquake cause

Jean has urged the international community to "rise to the occasion"

Haitian-born rap star Wyclef Jean has urged fans to donate to relief efforts in the wake of the huge earthquake that struck the Caribbean state on Tuesday.

"Your money will help with relief efforts," he wrote on micro-blogging site Twitter. "They need our help - please help if you can."

The former Fugees star has since said he is now on his way to the Caribbean state, via the Dominican Republic.

"Pray for the people of Haiti [and] me please," he posted.

Jean, 37, was made a roving ambassador for Haiti in 2007 and provides humanitarian aid and assistance through his Yele Haiti foundation.

'Unprecedented proportion'

Thousands are feared dead after the 7.0-magnitude quake, which struck south of the capital, Port-au-Prince, on Tuesday.

On his website, Jean said Haiti had suffered "a natural disaster of unprecedented proportion... unlike anything the country has ever experienced.

"I cannot stress enough what a human disaster this is, and idle hands will only make this tragedy worse."

The singer, who gained fame as a member of hip-hop trio The Fugees, was born in Haiti in 1972 but moved with his family to New York when he was nine.

ElPunto   

What a tragedy. If a dollar went to charity everytime the phrase - poorest country in the western hemisphere was uttered - it would do a lot to help with the fundraising drive. It might not be appropriate but I can't help thinking death might be a blessed release for the child growing up in the slums of Port-au-Prince.

^ half the capital was a slum and three quarters of the nation lived under poverty. Despite this Haiti was actually doing pretty good the past coupla months. Less violence and political instibilities. A dry spell if you may.

Anyway subxanallah! Place is just plauged with one natural disaster after the other. I'm not sure if they'll pull thru. but if they do it'll be long and hard process. The scary part is that there are still aftershocks being felt at this point. :(

100,000 feared dead after Haiti quake

13 Jan 13, 2010 - 6:56:59 AM

Bodies are being piled up on the streets of Haiti's capital as the country's Prime Minister estimates 100,000 people might have died in yesterday's earthquake.

People have pulled bodies from collapsed homes, covering them with sheets by the side of the road, and passers-by are lifting the sheets to see if their loved ones are underneath.

As he toured the devastated capital Port-au-Prince overnight Prime Minister Jean Max Bellerive said the death toll could be enormous.

"I believe that we are well over 100,000," he said.

"I've seen so many buildings, so many neighbourhoods totally destroyed, and in some neighbourhoods we don't even see people," he said.

Haitian President Rene Preval described the scene as "unimaginable" and said he also feared that thousands of people had been killed.

"Parliament has collapsed. The tax office has collapsed. Schools have collapsed. Hospitals have collapsed," he said.

Mr Preval described stepping over dead bodies and hearing the cries of those trapped inside the collapsed Parliament, where the senate president was among those pinned under the wreckage.

"There are a lot of schools that have a lot of dead people in them," he told the Miami Herald. "All of the hospitals are packed with people. It is a catastrophe."

Thousands of buildings including schools, hospitals and homes have collapsed. Even the presidential palace and the capital's main prison have turned to rubble.

The United Nations says its peacekeeping headquarters have also been destroyed and more than 100 of its staff are missing.

The International Red Cross says one-third of Haiti's 9 million people may need emergency aid and governments and charities around the world are mobilising in an urgent effort to get the aid effort underway.

Aftershocks have continued to rock the country as Haitians, many afraid to return to their homes, come to terms with the scale of the disaster.

The quake's epicentre was only 16 kilometres from the capital Port-au-Prince. About 4 million people live in the city and surrounding area.

The 7.0 magnitude quake was the most powerful to hit Haiti in more than 200 years, according to the US Geological Survey.

The International Red Cross in Geneva has warned that with roads blocked and almost all communication lines down, it is extremely difficult to accurately assess the situation in Haiti.

It believes up to 3 million people could be homeless, injured or dead.

Television footage from Port-au-Prince showed scenes of chaos on the streets with people sobbing and appearing dazed amid the rubble.

'Unwavering support'

US President Barack Obama has vowed "unwavering support" to help Haiti recover from a devastating earthquake.

Mr Obama told reporters he had directed his administration to provide swift, coordinated help to save lives.

"This morning I want to extend to the people of Haiti the deep condolences and unwavering support of the American people following yesterday's terrible earthquake," he said.

"We are just now beginning to learn the extent of the devastation, but the reports and images that we've seen of collapsed hospitals, crumbled homes and men and women carrying their injured neighbours through the streets are truly heart-wrenching.

"I have directed my administration to respond with a swift, coordinated and aggressive effort to save lives.

"The people of Haiti will have the full support of the United States in the urgent effort to rescue those trapped beneath the rubble and to deliver the humanitarian relief - the food, water and medicine - that Haitians will need in the coming days," he said.

A late-night White House meeting involving various arms of the government took place to coordinate the US response. The State Department urged Americans not to travel to Haiti.

In Geneva, UN officials said they expected the world body would issue an international emergency appeal for funds and other assistance for Haiti in the next few days, once needs on the ground had been assessed.

Germany was sending 1 million euros in immediate aid, Foreign Minister Guido Westerwelle said, adding "I'm shocked by the dimensions of the earthquake disaster in Haiti."

The Inter-American Development Bank said it would provide $200,000 in immediate aid. The World Bank, which said its local offices were destroyed but most staff were safe, planned to send a team to help assess damage and plan a recovery.

The US Coast Guard said it was sending cutters and aircraft close to Haiti to give humanitarian assistance. The United States, Britain, Canada and France were sending reconnaissance and rescue teams, some with search dogs and heavy equipment.

Peacenow   

America and Canada have done really well in really going all out for Haiti. They haven't wasted anytime.

Even little Israel is sending a plane to Haiti with supplies. The response from the world has been magnificent and impressive.

I got emails today from WSPA, doctors without borders and UNICEF about donating. I don't have too much disposable income lying around but I dontated to UNICEF because I know that my money will get there with minimum admin costs to help people ( https://secure.unicef.ca/portal/SmartDefault.aspx?at=1211&appealID=90&CID=99 ).

There are a lot of great organizations working fast to help out, but just make sure not to fall for random charities that are going to come out of the woodworks and exploit the situation.

Inna lillahi wa inna ilayhi raji'un

Haitians are indeed being tested by fate. This country has, indeed, been hit hard once again. It is paramount that the world community unite to help the people of Haiti get back on their feet.

May God Almighty help the people of Haiti overcome the challenges ahead.

To All SOLers: PLEASE SEND HELP!

American Red Cross: International Response Fund

1-800-REDCROSS or 1-800-257-7575 (Spanish) or online at www.redcross.org.

Operation USA: 1-800-678-7255 or online at t www.opusa.org

Unicef: 1-800-4UNICEF or online at www.unicef.org/

Doctors Without Borders: 1-888-392-0392 or online at www.doctorswithoutborders.org/