Sign in to follow this  
Mombasa_QUEEN

Mother's Day

Kruella   

I'm seriously appalled by the incessant witch hunt around here and the holier than thou attitudes. It has gotten to a point where no one is permitted to express themselves without being branded or belittled. I gathered that in SOL, we're all adults, fairly informed about our religion and smart enough to know what's haram and what isn't. It isn't necessary to reiterate the 5 pillars of Islam or Any other Islamic conducts whenever someone happens to dislike the topic or comments in various threads. This is the perfect opportunity to adopt SILENCE is golden motto. I think most plp are aware of our religion and its restrictions when it comes to unislamic issues(or at least I hope so). I urge you all to restraint yourselves from being condescending and patronizing to other nomads in here no matter what the topic at hand might be. Islam section will be the ideal place to educate ourselves with useful information and I think we should put it to good use.

So next time someone wants to talk about hair-raising subjects or wants to become a crossed eyed astronomer with pink slippers don't go running for bukhari and muslim hadiths to contradict him or her.

Salamz

a co-worker comes up to me on friday and she's like "where's your mother".... africa... "sunday is mothers day, do something nice for her, mothers like it when kids do things like that"... i think about it and say "no".... so she looks at me like am crazy and i explain to her that first of all my mom is probably never heard of mothers day... and well... that's it! how are you going to do something for someone on some holiday when that person doesn't even know about it?

hanif it dont mean if ya mother dont knw wt mother day is dont mean you cant explain and let you're mother knw what mother day is all about but anwayz to me its tomorow and i am showing my mom some appreciation.

Hello

Every body today is mom day

let we celebrate.....say to mom happy nice day or something like dat! send to your mom or ur friends beautiful letters about MOTHER DAY. using this - www.greetings.yahoo.com

"HOoyoy la'aantaa adduunyadda hubaasheed maalin lama noolaadeen e" sorry haddii aan khalday.

bye kheyraan idin rajayn

Hello

Every body today is mom day

let we celebrate.....say to mom happy nice day or something like dat! send to your mom or ur friends beautiful letters about MOTHER DAY. using this - www.greetings.yahoo.com

"HOoyoy la'aantaa adduunyadda hubaasheed maalin lama noolaadeen e" sorry haddii aan khalday.

bye kheyraan idin rajayn

Rahima   

Mother's Day is not a Christian holiday, it's a cultural thing.

People, what on earth are most of you talking about? Who said that Mother's day does not have a religious significance? I think everyone is in need of a good history lesson. Read the following, maybe then next time you will think more carefully before you celebrate this day.

In the U.S. Mothers' Day is a holiday celebrated on second Sunday in May. It is a day when children honor their mothers with cards, gifts, and flowers. First observance in Philadelphia, Pa. in 1907, it is based on suggestions by Julia Ward Howe in 1872 and Anna Jarvis in 1907.

Although it wasn't celebrated in the U.S. until 1908, there were days honoring mothers even in the days of ancient Greece. In those days, however, it was Rhea, the Mother of the gods that was given honor.

Later, in the 1600's, in England there was an annual observance called "Mothering Sunday." It was celebrated during Lent, on the fourth Sunday. On Mothering Sunday, the servants, who generally lived with their employers, were encouraged to return home and honor their mothers. It was traditional for them to bring a special cake along to celebrate the occasion.

In the U.S., in 1908 Ana Jarvis, from Grafton, West Virginia, began a campaign to establish a national Mother's Day. Jarvis persuaded her mother's church in Grafton, West Virginia to celebrate Mother's Day on the anniversary of her mother's death. A memorial service was held there on May 10, 1908 and in Philadelphia the following year where Jarvis moved.

Jarvis and others began a letter-writing campaign to ministers, businessmen, and politicians in their quest to establish a national Mother's Day. They were successful. President Woodrow Wilson, in 1914, made the official announcement proclaiming Mother's Day a national observance that was to be held each year on the 2nd Sunday of May.

And don't forget, the blessed prophet s.a.w said:

"Whoever imitates a people, he is one of them"

So in reality, to celebrate Mother's day after you have come to know its origin is to endanger your Islam.

I just want to say I disagree with you there. Just because it's invented by gaalo, doesn't mean it's wrong for muslims to participate in it. Democracy was invented by gaalo,

True to some extent, not everything invented by the Gaalo is evil, however when it is in contradiction with Islam we reject it-democracy is one of them btw.

I'm sure you are aware that the principle teaching of democracy is the famous quote "Give unto Ceaser what is Ceaser's and give unto God what is God". This in essence is the separation of the state and church, Islam objects to this for the complete life of the Muslim and his/her community is dictated by the shariica and we do not separate politics from the masjid. Whereas in democracy where sovereignty lies with the people, in Islam complete sovereignty lies only with the All-powerful Allah.

Kruella

Sister, although I do agree that we need to have more wisdom when explaining the teachings of Islam, we cannot turn a blind eye when it is clear that there is something wrong here.

Allah (S.W.T) said in surat Al-Imran, (Verse 110): "You are the best of peoples ever raised up for mankind, you enjoin Al-Ma'ruf (good) and forbid Al-Munkar(evil), and you believe in Allah…"

Allah (S.W.T.) ordered this Ummah in surat Al-Imran, (Verse 104), what can be translated as, "Let there arise out of you a group of people inviting to all that is good (Islam), enjoining Al-Ma'ruf and forbidding Al-Munkar. And it is those who are the successful."