Sign in to follow this  
Jacaylbaro

Princess facing Saudi death penalty given secret UK asylum

A Saudi Arabian princess who had an illegitimate child with a British man has secretly been granted asylum in this country after she claimed she would face the death penalty if she were forced to return home. The young woman, who has been granted anonymity by the courts, won her claim for refugee status after telling a judge that her adulterous affair made her liable to death by stoning. Her case is one of a small number of claims for asylum brought by citizens of Saudi Arabia which are not openly acknowledged by either government. British diplomats believe that to do so would in effect be to highlight the persecution of women in Saudi Arabia, which would be viewed as open criticism of the House of Saud and lead to embarrassing publicity for both governments.

The woman, who comes from a very wealthy Saudi family, says she met her English boyfriend – who is not a Muslim – during a visit to London. They struck up a relationship.

She became pregnant the following year and worried that her elderly husband – a member of the Royal Family of Saudi Arabia – had become suspicious of her behaviour, she persuaded him to let her visit the UK again to give birth in secret. She feared for her life if she returned to Saudi Arabia.

She persuaded the court that if she returned to the Gulf state she and her child would be subject to capital punishment under Sharia law – specifically flogging and stoning to death. She was also worried about the possibility of an honour killing.

Since she fled Saudi Arabia, her family and her husband’s family have broken off contact with her.

The woman has been granted permanent leave to remain in the UK after the Immigration and Asylum tribunal allowed her appeal.

The Home Office yesterday declined to discuss the case. A spokesman for the Royal Embassy of Saudi Arabia in London said that he would call back but subsequently became unavailable.

Relations between the UK and Saudi Arabia have been strained in recent years and were brought to a head in 2006 when Tony Blair intervened to end a Serious Fraud Office (SFO) inquiry into alleged kickbacks paid in a multibillion military aircraft deal between the two states.

The Saudi royal family was deeply concerned about the idea that the investigators might try o open up their Swiss bank accounts, it was alleged at the time.

This led the Saudis to threaten to restrict the sharing of intelligence relating to terror activity if the prosecution went ahead. They also threatened to pull out of other highly-lucrative arms deals.

Last year, the House of Lords ruled that the SFO’s decision to drop the corruption investigation into the £43bn Saudi arms deal with BAE Systems was unlawful.

In a hard-hitting ruling, two High Court judges described the SFO’s decision as “an outrage”.

One of them, Lord Justice Moses, said the SFO and the Government had given into “blatant threats” that Saudi intelligence co-operation would end unless the probe into corruption was halted.

“No one, whether within this country or outside, is entitled to interfere with the course of our justice,” he said. “It is the failure of government and the defendant to bear that essential principle in mind that justifies the intervention of this court.”

The Middle East state has been shrouded in controversy over oppressive policies against women and homosexuals. Secrecy surrounds much of the Saudi legal system, but in a recent report on the use of the death penalty in the kingdom, the human rights group Amnesty International highlighted its extensive use against men and women.

Adulterers face public stonings and floggings and, in the most serious cases, beheadings and hangings.

The high numbers of executions in Saudi Arabia in 2007 continued into 2008. There were at least 102 executions of men and women last year – at an average rate of two every week. Amnesty is aware of at least 136 individuals currently awaiting execution.

Last week, Saudi Arabia’s religious police were blamed for the death of two sisters who were murdered in what was deemed an “honour killing” by their brother, after the sisters were arrested for allegedly mixing with men to whom they were not related.

The Society for Defending Women’s Rights in Saudi Arabia said that the religious police had arrested the two sisters, aged 19 and 21, thus putting their lives in danger.

Their brother shot them dead in front of their father when they left a women’s shelter in Riyadh on 5 July, according to Saudi news reports.

In 2007, in a case that shocked Saudis, a woman from Qatif was sentenced to 200 lashes and six months in prison after being gang-raped. She offended cultural expectations because she was unaccompanied when she got into a car with a former boyfriend.

The man had agreed to hand back a photograph of the woman who was about to marry another man, but as they drove along a street they were stopped and seized by seven men who raped them both. The woman was originally sentenced to 90 lashes but the sentence was increased when she appealed. Eventually, after an international outcry, she was pardoned.

In 2007, King Abdullah II of Saudi Arabia was jeered during a state visit to Britain as dozens of demonstrators turned out to protest at his country’s human rights record.

The Zack   

^Lucky? Are you kidding me? This lady committed Zina and needs to face justice adeer. She would've been lucky if she gets stoned so she wouldn't have to worry about being punished in here after.

1- there is no true Sharia law in that cauntry, The "Sharia" law they have there is for the people (masakinta) and of course the royal family and the whites (westerners) are of course above that "Sharia" law.

2-This is typical story of an elderly man (tacbaan) man married to much much younger woman (with high SD) am sorry for him! he should have pulled off or worked hard and done his homeworks proberly to avoid any future imbarrasment.

Baluug   

Originally posted by Naxar Nugaaleed:

a lucky saudi lady

"Lucky" would be the last thing I call her. She had wealth, prestige and most likely didn't have to work. Now she's going to have to live her life in fear of people who want to kill her, all while she has to fend for herself in a new country and take care of a kafir's baby(betcha he ain't around anymore either) Not to mention the Judgement from Allah SWT. No sir, I'd say her luck just ran out.

Ashkiro   

^Her luck hasn't run out as long as she is alive and seeks Allah's SWT forgivenss and mercy for her wrongs. The door of taubah is open. It's humans that are unforgiving, but Allah ta'cala is Most Forgiving to His servents.

Paragon   

Originally posted by The Zack:

^Lucky? Are you kidding me? This lady committed Zina and needs to face justice adeer. She would've been lucky if she gets stoned so she wouldn't have to worry about being punished in here after.

You don't have to be so judgmental and extreme my friend. People sin and people repent. You just can't be so black and white. If according to scriptures she has sinned but she doesn't have confidence in the Saudi system, she should find others means of sparing herself.

Well good on the UK for giving her refuge.

I wonder how many royal arab princes have shagged and impregnated women of all colours during their play-boy life-styles? And yet again, as per usual its a woman who must pay the piper. Reminds me of that poor young-somali girl who was crushed to death by a ton of rocks while the man whom she slept with (presumably a ghost-no doubt)got away scot free. Never mind the fact that the four-witness thing was missing-plus the girl was most likely hungry and desperate. Stranger things have happened when people find themselves in the midst of a civil war.

True fairness and "Islamic" justice at its best. Lord how we must look disgusting to the world when such fanatical id*ots represent us. *Sighs and then strolls off*

As for the Saudi Princess? I hope she finds the refuge she is seeking. We all deserve a second-chance and the Saudi judicial system? Is a joke, like Somalia's.

The Zack   

Originally posted by Paragon:

quote:Originally posted by The Zack:

You don't have to be so judgmental and extreme my friend. People sin and people repent. You just can't be so black and white. If according to scriptures she has sinned but she doesn't have confidence in the Saudi system, she should find others means of sparing herself.

Well good on the UK for giving her refuge.
She can repent,I have never said she can't, I was just stating that the punishment of married zaani or zaaniyah is death. Don't blame me, blame the deen for that :cool:

RedSea   

The British dude must have charmed her with his superior linguistics. How else would someone give up such status.

Ibtisam   

Some of you are defending a married woman who committed adultery and continued deceit for her regular visits and only got caught because she had a child. :confused: Bet you won’t be making excuses if she was your wife. icon_razz.gif Mac soongor, she deserves whatever she gets, where it be humiliated in a refugee status on the dole, in a one bed room council slump or paranoia about people coming to get her.

There is something twisted going on with Arabs who come over to the UK [i think they must be the most crazy bunch in their society]. I nearly passed out when 60year old Kuwait women asked me the best consultant for breast surgery and botox!!! When she got them done, she came to tell me about it and show off her new pair/ face. :eek: She said and my husband likes them. I wanted to scream you are 60, with a 20year old pair. redface.gif

The guys are invested with STDs and alcoholics. Can you imagine, they go: I drink one or two glass of wine a day with a straight face like it is caadi. :rolleyes: The worst one is when the sons are talking in front of the father :eek: