Sign in to follow this  
Modesty

Are Asian muslims racists?

Modesty   

Hey, I made an observation recently at Muslim Student Gatherings. I have noticed muslims from arab countries, or other asian countries are a bit racist. I don't really intermingle with them to know the truth, but as an outsider/insider looking in, I find them to be a bit snobbish and unfriendly. In fact, I observed many of them to be wearing hijab, or have beards.When I'm around non-muslims, from any background, they seem more open. Is it cultural or is it a manifestation of their racist cultural upbringing?

Johnny B   

^ Nice observation, but, what were you expecting? that people would stop beeing Arabs or Asians just becouse you believe in what they allegedly believe?

Maybe,just maybe, you were under the illusion that sharing a specefic belief in a particular thing overrides all other beleifs and prejudices.

I dont know, but I have been around Asians and Arabs for a long time and majority are freindly compared to other races like Scandanavians according to ME. But racist people are in every society regardless.

If u observed any racistic behaviour, ignore them. Iam sure you can find many other races to mingle with. I sensed Somalis r not ur favourite but see that is what you get instead. :cool:

Modesty   

I don't befriend someone b/c of their national origin, or race. I befriend a person on shared interests. Many good people everywhere.

Aaliyyah   

I think you are generalizing and putting all arabs and asians into one category. I have many asian and arab friends, and they are friendly and easily approachable regardless of whether they wear hijaab or otherwise.

ofcourse there could be those who prejudice against others. And, those happen to be from every culture and race. Even among somalis, we tend to prejudice against one another and at times other races and ethnicities. So, there is no need to judge the whole race by the actions of few.

Everyone sees things from different angles, and they have their own interpretations. Maybe just maybe when you look at asian hijabis you think somehow they are discriminating against you merely based on your preconceived opinion of them being "racist". We don't just see the world how it is, but the way we see the world is influenced by our own believes, and maybe even prejudice behaviors toward others.

so yeh maybe you don't like asians yourself. Now lets look at the underlining issues as to why you hate asians? there must have been some personal experience that shapes your current opinion of them? now do share your experience. That could help you release some of the accumulated anger and frustration you have for those asians.

we are listening..take your time....I was told am an excellent listener and would make a great therapist. :D

Biixi   

"I have noticed muslims from arab countries, or other asian countries are a bit racist."

Please explain what you consider- "Racist".

"I don't really intermingle with them to know the truth, but as an outsider/insider looking in, I find them to be a bit snobbish and unfriendly."

Introduce yourself, be friendly and people will treat you the same.

"In fact, I observed many of them to be wearing hijab, or have beards."

Does this make you unfriendly towards them?

"When I'm around non-muslims, from any background, they seem more open. Is it cultural or is it a manifestation of their racist cultural upbringing?"

It is natural to feel this way, cause you are not use to being around Muslims, as a result you don’t know how to interact with them. That also explains why you’re more comfortable being around non-Muslims. Instead of looking at it negatively, see it as an opportunity to experience/learn something new (new culture for you -;) ).

PS – Things are not always as we assume, so never ASSUME.

Johnny B   

Originally posted by Biixi:

It is natural to feel this way, cause you are not use to being around Muslims
, as a result you don’t know how to interact with them. That also explains why you’re more comfortable being around non-Muslims. Instead of looking at it negatively, see it as an opportunity to experience/learn something new (new culture for you -
;)
).

That was uncalled for, taking her religion from her is not your shot to call, you'd be good for addressing her observations.

Chimera   

I found this part funny..

Originally posted by Modesty:

"In fact, I observed many of them to be wearing hijab, or have beards."

:D That's a big no no to our Fashion Queen :D you probably felt like reporting them all on the basis of 'Fashion of mass obsolete' :D

Johnny B   

^I think jumbing on Modesty becouse she happens to observe and notice certain traits among certain people shows how some people emotionally lash out infront of a differing stance.

Address the issue instead, address her observations, we're not and i repeat , we're not intrested in your views about Modesty's persona.

Faheema.   

^ You're bit a meerkat aint you when it comes to this subject. Anything negative with muslim/islam in the title indhahaad soo taagtaa meerkat.jpg

Modesty   

You guys are basically the typical somali asslickers, except Johnny. You know they don't like you, yet you are always around them ...think b/c we're all muslims that's all that matters.

Modesty   

I don't like the majority of Somalis as well, they all suck in my opinion...they have no national pride, they have issues all of them, they are evil, they are xasiids, they are always being jealous/haters of people. I think I'll do another topic on that in the future...insha'ALlah.