Sign in to follow this  
Keyz 1-8-7

Pirates Attack US Cruise Liner 100 miles from Somalian Coast

The point is that Somalis aren't just attacking each other anymore,they're attacking people from other countries,and it won't be long before someone gets fed up with it and decides to "free" Somalia

*coughBushcough*

This might be,in my opinion,what Somalia needs,because they can't just keep making up a new government every few years and keep fighting like there was no effort at making peace.

Are you saying that the US and co should "invade" Somalia the way they did to Iraq and Afghanistan? This is probably the worst case scenario for Somalia and its future. The West are only looking to "free" those countries because they seek ultimate control of those islamic countries.

Castro   

^ Who can blame them. With people like this roaming the land and the seas we're already in the worst case scenario. May be it's a blessing we are invaded. May be its the lord's way of sending help to his people for 15 years of land and sea hijackings. We can only dream of an invasion now.

Its really sad, we have pirates in the world ----- in the era, and they’re in Somalia. I was disgusted by this when I saw the headlines, especially on CNN --- somehow if they would have taken the ship, it would have gotten Somalia some attention politically, I’m guessing this is a form of terrorism. Washington might expand their war on terrorism onto Somalia --- good ol’ US intervention.

Jacpher   

I don’t think Somalia has oil wells that are worth invading. These thugs are after money and fame. I’m surprised no one claimed responsibility and the media gives one side story. Are there any Somali news sites that reported the other side’s story? Did the US navy outrun the pirates or were they afraid of the sonic weapon the ship used? What constitutes International waters? Is there any set of rules in terms of mileage? I understand the ship claims it was 100 miles into the sea and is it possible that a small boat can travel that distance into the ocean? Moqdisho, Kismaayo or Puntland area? I don’t think we got the whole picture.

Castro   

^ Territorial waters extend up to 28 miles (45 Km), so 100 miles is clearly in "high seas". But even if the cruise liner was within 28 miles, safe passage is guaranteed if there is no threat of any kind from the vessel. The pirates apparently caught a case of "waraabe meel macal uga bartay". After seizing a few ships (ironically carrying aid to Somalia), they've acquired an ever increasing appetite for bigger ships.

To have travelled that far (100 miles) from the coast would mean they have plenty of fuel on board and some sort of GPS to find their way. That reeks of organized crime, to say the least. If they didn't have any navigation system, it would mean they're roaming the high seas for hundreds of miles looking for loot. In any case, it is likely that once a few of them get killed pirating the wrong vessel, word will spread it's not a good career move any more. Up and coming pirates will then choose to be land based robbers and murderers and abondon the high seas to the relative safety of Muqdisho marketplaces.

Imagine if they captured it and brought it ashore.

The scenerios would have been twofold.

1) A swift international condemnation against a cowardly terrorist kidnapping, followed by a bold hostage freeing action by Americans or Europeans marines stationed in Jabuuti. Nothing after that.

2) A swift rescue mission by Americans or European soldiers stationed in Jabuuti, followed by an international outcry, led by the Western press, to do something bold in anarchic and detoriorating Soomaaliya. Perhaps another "restore hope" operation.

N.O.R.F   

Well this is news to me but i couldnt help but laugh at these pictures

laun.jpg

vs

_40987120_ship-pa-203x300.jpg

I was actually on a similar boat the other day, its pretty nippy and can travel at around 40mph, with enough petrol you can carryout one or two 'operations' using your tactfulness and knowledge of the waters

I dont know why we are making a big deal about this, is it maybe because the world knows of our sorry excuse for a country? is because we have been shamed on international tv? would there be such an outcry if this hadnt have made CNN? I dont think so,,,,,,,,,

We all know the problems back home and nobody is doing anything about it. It will also take time to correct (15years of anarchy).

I'm sure all those chubby holiday makers were grateful for the excitement.

Being encased in a floating hotel, however luxurious, must get terribly boring. And how many chances does one get to tell stories of being attacked by pirates? In 2005?

Now, if only they were armed with something more swashbuckling than garden variety bazookas! Oh well.

N.O.R.F   

"I could tell the guy firing the bazooka was smiling."

:D Probably has a cigar in his mouth at the same time :cool:

Needless to say, I dropped the camera and dived. The grenade struck two decks above and about four rooms further forward.

They shouldnt attack cruiseliners but i would have no qualms if they chased away nuclear dumpers and fish hi-jackers who are constantly prowling around those areas.

Castro   

Originally posted by Northerner:

They shouldnt attack cruiseliners but i would have no qualms if they chased away nuclear dumpers and fish hi-jackers who are constantly prowling around those areas.

The toxic waste dumpers are armed to the teeth. Them skinnies would have been skinned alive with the bazookas shoved up their behinds.

But the outrage is not just because this made it to the world stage. Personally, I'm furious because I've seen the faces of these killers. These man eaters have been feasting on women and children for 15 years and seeing them always throws me out of orbit.

What am I going to do about it? The same I've done about all the rubbish coming from Somalia: get outraged, become sad, make a prayer and move on. Clearly its the impotent approach.

Snake-i   

castro we are in a era where we have to support each other when it comes to outsiders...we have enough problems with each other...if we divide each other when it comes to our enemies, we will be doomed...so please do as a favor and be happy that they didn't attack other somalis this time... :D

[ November 10, 2005, 23:18: Message edited by: Libaax-Sankataabte ]

Pacifist   

What do you expect after all we have no government for the past 15 years. Am utterly disappointed on the whole situation of Somalia. I mean really if we had a government who provided coast guards would we really have pirate problems in 2005?

When will enough be enough and live peacefully amongst us?

As always am wasting my breath its all going to a deaf ears any ways am going to bed :(

Muhammad   

why are people so suprised that we have Pirates in 2005, I saw one headline on CNN, 'Pirates... 2005'.

Pirates are still around, they are very active in the Pacific, I recall in one of the early Surviver shows, they almost were hijacked by pirates.

& don't forget our next door neighbor, Yemen has far more pirates, Socotra is a known pirate's heaven.

Castro   

Four more attempted seizures of vessels in the past week with one successful. According to the BBC, these speed boat marauders, who are now holding a total of seven (7) vessels for ransom, are stationed off the coast of Somalia in big ships. They use the smaller boats to swiftly find prey. Seeing how organized this enterprise is, does this sound like something warlords from Somalia could be involved in? Or is this a case of "professional" pirates using the chaos in Somalia to stage the attacks?

Somalia hasnt got a future, the way things are going.......

People don't give a damn bout no one.....

They do not fear Allah or anything/anyone for that matter......