Sunshine04

Help me learn somali

Asc my people.

I'm a 15 year old Somali girl who lives in Europe ( Scandinavia )

I really have no idea if this fit in this site, but I would ask for your help.

My Somali is bad, and it's hard for me to speak with my family in Somalia, because my sentences are hard to understand. 

My problem is especially the pronunciation of the words. I'm actually fine at reading it, and also good at understanding it but when it comes to my turn to speak it, it goes downhill. 

I would like to inshallah dedicate my next 7 months to learn the language. But how?

My parents always says that I just need to talk it, but it's hard when I don't know how to say correct sentences.

Can yall give me some tips?and maybe some online sites I can learn some from.

+ I've began to see Somali tv shows and listening to Somali music, and I hope it helps.

I hope yall can help me. And may Allah bless you and your family. 

Welcome to the site, abti/adeer. Waaku faraxsanahay inaa rabtid barashada afkaaga hooyo.

First, one step a time. First advice: Try to speak Afsoomaali as long and as frequent as you can with anyone - to your parents, to your other siblings, to your friends. Practice with them, even if their Soomaali is worse than yours. Discard any scoffs, mocks or laughs you might hear from them.

Back to pronunciation. The hardest part of learning to read Afsoomaali is shaqal dheer and shaqal gaab. You know the aa/a, ee/e, ii/i, oo/o and uu/u. Example, gal and gaal. Sar and saar. Sed and seed. Xir and xiir. Hoy and hooy. Hur and huur. And so on. You have to master this and know when to say and mean gaal instead of gal.

I would also advice you to keep watching Soomaali news channels on Youtube. Telifishinka Qaranka is one such channel.

In the mean time, watch this video.

3 hours ago, Miskiin-Macruuf-Aqiyaar said:

Welcome to the site, abti/adeer. Waaku faraxsanahay inaa rabtid barashada afkaaga hooyo.

First, one step a time. First advice: Try to speak Afsoomaali as long and as frequent as you can with anyone - to your parents, to your other siblings, to your friends. Practice with them, even if their Soomaali is worse than yours. Discard any scoffs, mocks or laughs you might hear from them.

Back to pronunciation. The hardest part of learning to read Afsoomaali is shaqal dheer and shaqal gaab. You know the aa/a, ee/e, ii/i, oo/o and uu/u. Example, gal and gaal. Sar and saar. Sed and seed. Xir and xiir. Hoy and hooy. Hur and huur. And so on. You have to master this and know when to say and mean gaal instead of gal.

I would also advice you to keep watching Soomaali news channels on Youtube. Telifishinka Qaranka is one such channel.

In the mean time, watch this video.

Thank you alot for taking time, and giving me these helpful tips! 

Imma start talking it more often at home!

May Allah bless u