Sign in to follow this  
Chimera

Somalia team - 2014 World Cup

ha ha football isn't our strong point.

but with peace anything is possible.

i think our first priority should be the African cup of Nations, then maybe the world cup.

walk before we can run LOL.

but i hear of many young Somalis in youth setups across Europe. Maybe you can do another list of rising young stars of the Somali community. I do enjoy your lists.

Hales   

Theyre all very young, so we could bench on hopes on any regional African tournament probably 8 years from now.

Lets hope the country is in order by then.

Chimera   

Archdemos there are hundreds of talented Somali players both amateur and professional playing in international leagues and Somali football tournaments like Eurosom, we only lack a competent managing body that could capitalize on this talent and bring them together as a dream team.

You are correct that Football academies are taking note of their Somali football populations, and have begun scouting local clubs:

Since Joe Royle lured Cassell from Oldham in 1998, no fewer than 26 youngsters have progressed from the Academy to the first team. Michael Johnson, currently injured, is another to have emerged and the club are actively scouting Manchester’s sizeable Somali population in an attempt to unearth the next gem. - Link

The talent pool is there, the support from the community is potentially there, case in point, a transparant fund for the Somali football team would receive 25 million easily from the diaspora if they actually believed in the project.

What we really need however is a visionary and inspiring coach. The South Korean team used to be a joke, but then they were trained by a competent coach(Guus Hiddink) and made significant waves on the 2002 World Cup, and recently destroyed one of Europe's best teams - Greece.

Buuxo   

Do WC players have to be originally from the country ,they're playing for?

If not ,lacag lee naga xigto 2014.I say we should hire the best in the world and give them Somali nationality.Why not even increase our chances of winning and prepare two teams ( somali & Somali/land) :D

heard of this young lad making waves in the Cardiff City under 18's Ibrahim Farah

hopefully the next Abdi Ibrahim

only issue is that the new generation might choose to play for the countries their born in rather than their homelands.

who's the kid, mashallah left footed and got the technique and focus right. look at his left hand and how head is down not leaning back LOL

Boy certainly knows how to kick a ball.

Chimera   

Arch, If you had no alternative team with a competent coach that could lead you to victory, wouldn't you do the same? I think it shows real character that several of these professional players are willing to play in the Somali national team.

ps random pic of a Somali kid with a ball.

RaMpAgE   

I honestly believe somalia can become a footballing powerhouse, atleast in East africa.

We have a large disapora and iam sure in the next few years, their will be youngesters coming up the rankings in big clubs. The biggest threat is other countries pouching our youngesters and the lack of Organisation.