galbeedi

Does anyone heard the new UN plan called by Some Somalis " Lay down and keep sucking"" which sends money directly to Somali families?

galbeedi   

In Woqoyi Galbeed it is called  "Jaq oo Jiif". Suck and sleep.

It is a new UN program that sends money through the phone directly to Somalis in rural and small town areas. A friend of mine from the coastal Awdal area told a group us last week about this UN program that send up to $200 dollars to Somali families while sitting in their rural homes and small towns. I thought it was a joke, but it is true. Yesterday, another friend from Mudug told me a phone call he received from someone in Gaalkacayo who  confirmed the same thing going on in Puntland.

People are discussing this new welfare from the UN . Did you receive your "Jaq oo Jiif" money?  is the a common thing now. 

There were already reports about people receiving stable foods like corn, sorghum, oil and flour during the rainy season where people are better off economically or willing to cultivate some of  their staple foods , but nowhere to be seen during the drought years. During the drought year, there was little help from these agencies. Folks, a lot of very strange things are happening in Somalia. 

I used to hear stories about foreign aid crops flooding the market when the local farmers were ready to sell their local crops,  but I always considered these things as an exaggeration or conspiracy theory. For example, in the Awdal region and other places, because of the cyclones of last year and unusually high autumn rain people and livestock are doing well, yet we hear these welfare aid flooding the land like never before which keeps local people  from working the field while encouraging them chewing Qat and becoming idle. 

Another huge problem is the flow of drugs and alcohol in Somaliland. If you check the news from WAjaale, Borama ., Burco, Hargeisa and between a large number of Marijuana, Hashish , alcohol and other drugs have been confiscated by police. Some of these drugs are not even used within Ethiopia itself. When I enquired about these things, some people say it is companies ( Shirkado) who  are involved. Personally, I do not believe that a Somali would set up a corporation and  invest tens of thousands of dollars to smuggle these drugs knowing the chances of being busted are as  high as 75% of the times being busted by locals. Also, I do not thing a small contraband runner could absorb these loses which is happening frequently and keep doing it again and again.

WE already have daily import of Khat from Ethiopia worth $500 million a year  in Somaliland alone. In Kenya, the Meru Khat brings close to $400,000 dollars a day. Imagine a nation spending close to $700 million dollars to drugs that harm its people legally and no one is debating about its health effects or draining of its economy.  This is what happens when your people are led by criminals, warlords and Khar trares.

If this trend of using Ethiopian drugs , chewing Khat , coupled with Jaq of Jeef money transfer from the UN continues, we might end up a nation of misfits filled  with Khat and drug addict , coupled with lazy rural people waiting handouts and puritanical extremists who would kill those who disagree with them. Some of us in the diaspora might feel relieved of the burden of sending money to our families back home since the UN is taking over the money transfer system using phones, yet we could lose the whole  society and become dependents.

This idea of becoming dependents is a top to down phenomena that starts  from the national leaders all the way down to the rural community. Have you seen the nice police cruisers , the marching bands with the nice uniform and the non stop airplane rides around the globe? It is all paid by others. And we are calling the supervisors of these foreign money from the UN as Somali president, Jubbaland president or Somaliland president and so on.  I have been in North America over 25 years and I had never seen anyone who got rich of welfare, or anyone whose live got better because of handouts. In fact, those who get government assistance remain always poor and dependent. Some might even think that they were smart by siphoning few dollars from the system not knowing the bigger things that lay beyond the few dollars.

Have you ever seen a single mayor in somaliland with yearly budget? Most of them were either Khat traders or local party operatives who had done nothing meaningful in life. City documents could be forged by anyone and unfinished land disputes continue for twenty years. Folks, this are the legacy of the Somali rebels who after 30 years of pretending to be a government in empty buildings with no governments business to conduct. In MOgadishu we got a group of business and political class sucking billions a year for unending project. And the marching band  plays on.

In Somaliland, They wake up in the morning and the try to sell any empty blot of land, a library or a park. Since they sold everything that has a value in towns and cities, now the are off to the rural land to sell stones and mountains to the Chinese or Emirati criminals who have no human decency. This are the leaders of today.

Isma doorin gaakaan diriyo daarta kii galaye.

galbeedi   

By the way, would like to add that one of guys mentioned that since local and regional leaders became corrupt and could no longer deliver,  the UN agencies are giving aid directly to people.

He might have a point since no one will build community houses, dig water wells or hospital.

Hi Galbeedi,

It's really tragic you've spent a considerable amount of time to tell us about jef oo jaaq, a ponzi scam from the time of Bernard Madoff schemes. We're going back almost 13 years or more. 

Also this money you've alleged is jef oo jaq are mircocredits given to people in rural areas. 

Your audicious attempts to contrive new sensationalist stories and to present them as new exclusive stories are laudable, I must admit. 

Are you able to disclose/share your sources, so I can verify, if indeed your stories are true?

galbeedi   
9 hours ago, Alpha Blondy said:

Also this money you've alleged is jef oo jaq are mircocredits given to people in rural areas. 

Saaxiib,

WE are saying the same thing. Sending hundred dollars through the phone will not help no one to establish anything. In Bangladesh and other places, Microlending supposed to help poor people  and women to make small trades and create jobs for them. 

This one is totally different. 

Holac   

Jiif oo Jaq (lay down and keep sucking)  sounds lazy. I agree with Galbeedi. Whoever that is peddling this nonsense snake oil doesn't care about the future of our people. Dadka iyo dalkaba waa ladulaynayaa. 

Duufaan   

This thing really exist but not large scale, specially the camps  and village created the last few year draft. I agree, this type pf welfare has never effect. I have direct knowledge one of new created villages where people receive this type of money, people could not find any workers  to small daily jobs. 

Previously donors used to actually bring in-kind support like blankets, water-jars, food items etc all from UN Warehouses. But thesedays support is provided in 'e-cash' direclty paid to the recipients mobile phones; Who then buy what they need from the local market. 

The new way is much more efficient and saving money for the UN itself too. Because now they don't need to ship food items or clothing or jerricans etc. Also renting warehouses, logistics and security.