Sign in to follow this  
Ibtisam

My Name Is Muhammad

Ibtisam   

An airline pilot whose career was damaged by 9/11, a businessman wanted by his home country, a former member of Islam4UK, recently banned by the British government for its extreme views, and a female blogger with the name Mohamed. These are just some of the personal stories behind one of Britain's most popular names.

Nine different characters all called Muhammad challenge the stereotypes of being a British Muslim. As the name Muhammad rises both in popularity and notoriety, an ex atheist, a white convert and a former skinhead ask what is really in a name.

You can watch it live now http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00r8jd3

B   

liberal media hyperbole. The BBC is deliberately putting too many ethnic faces on TV - disproportionate to the number of ethnic minorities. no wonder there is an increase in xenophobia and attacks on on muslims, blacks and ethnics.

B   

what do you mean?. the BBC is the enemy of ethnics. its starting a war. a media war to single out the Muslims and blacks and other ethnics to the majority white audience. even the commission for racial equality have raised concerns about the activities of the BBC. I am afraid your comments are wasted in these discussions. stick to defending logic.

Raamsade   

^No one is waging a war. Nothing the BBC does can justify bigotry. This is same risible reasoning employed by Muslims for the hate of Jews (for example) by justifying it on what Israel does. If you're hate Mulsims for the policies of the BBC, you were bigot to begin with.

B   

ok lets not insult each other and stop calling names, we are in the same campaign here. some people like your good self can clearly think outside the box but the majority of people are a result of their environment. so if people are continually indoctrinated in the most subtle ways, they will eventually accept the coverage to be true.

Raamsade   

^And understand where I'm coming from. I will never tolerate bigotry whether it is from my own people (Somalis), Muslims or Brits. Nothing justifies bigotry. Period!

Jewish (and NOT Israeli) demonization and vilification is staple in Muslim/Arab media. Muslims/Arabs justify their bigotry on what Israelis allegedly do. They're lairs and wrong. And so are those that justify bigotry against Muslims on the grounds of what the BBC does.

B   

bigotry is subjective. you probably consider all those who disagree with you as bigots. They probably see you as the same. lets be practical here and not ascribe offensives words to people.

p.s - i am really disappointed with your arrogance. like so many people before you, who feel they have unlocked the secrets of life - using their logical and rational enquire. you strike me an arrogant christopher hitchens, very arrogant to the extent you have become ignorant. respect peoples opinion and treat them with humility and dignity.

extremist Muslims and militant atheist like yourself will never agree.

Raamsade   

Originally posted by Benson and Hedges:

bigotry is subjective. you probably consider all those who disagree with you as bigots. They probably see you as the same. lets be practical here and not ascribe offensives words to people.

Why are you taking this so personally? Xenophobia is morally repugnant and justifying it, as you seem to have, on the policies of the BBC is even more odious. I don't know what you stand for but I for don't share such sentiments. If you don't agree with what the BBC is doing, take it up with them.

Originally posted by Benson and Hedges:

p.s - i am really disappointed with your arrogance. like so many people before you, who feel they have unlocked the secrets of life - using their logical and rational enquire. you strike me an arrogant christopher hitchens, very arrogant to the extent you have become ignorant. respect peoples opinion and treat them with humility and dignity.

That is what the ignorant always say. They mistake intelligence and knowledge for arrogance. It is not arrogant to know more nor is it arrogant to stand up against xenophobia and bigotry. It's an honor to be grouped with Christopher Hitchens, he's one of my heroes.

Naden   

^ That's what winter does to people. Four months of darkness and here we are, ripping each other's cyber throats :D

This sounds like an interesting documentary though I've been disappointed lately with BBC programming.

ailamos   

Originally posted by Naden:

^ That's what winter does to people. Four months of darkness and here we are, ripping each other's cyber throats
:D

:D:D:D and in the summer it's too hot and people sense of rationality evaporates...