Sign in to follow this  
Curly

Light skinned and beautiful or Just Light skinned!

x_quizit   

I think its such a slavery mentality, to want to look like your oppressor...i can understand afro-americans wantin to have straight hair and being light, but somalis? where did they get the concept that light is better? from arabs? or previous colonizers such as the brits and italians? dont wanna accuse any particular ethnicity..

Like many of you, i too have heard many ladies discussing the light vs dark matter, basically stating that when one is light, no beauty is missing from them, and a dark girl isn't up to par on the beauty scale.

How can a so-called islamic society practice discrimination? Boogles the mind.

Anyways, its up to this generation, when they are having kids, to not reinforce those stereotypes, and teach their daughters and sons, that beauty isnt always found on the surface, and that it is not determined by a color or shade.

p.s.-i propose an anti-diana protest. Any girls who have it, pls, dump it in ur nearest sewer, cause i cant seem the benefit of looking like a multi-colored person and casper the ghost.

WingA   

Diana girls = total turn off,,,

lool.. man dat funny..

am starting to get attracted to darker women now days BUT its not the skin color dats important ppl..

peez..

Raxmah   

Such a shame that the tone of skin color is so much of an issue to Somalis. I don’t know whether to feel sorry or aghasted at those who bleach their skin. One of my friends started bleaching her skin, just on the look out warned her of the effects of it – I was accused of being selfish b/c I was light skinned and didn’t want her to be light skinned. It’s so sad, I wish they would just understand how disfigured they become once they bleach their skin.

Qac Qaac   

The French, British, Italians... injected this disease of thinking lighter looks better in us. at the colonial times...

is not only for woman, even for man, they first go after the light skin girls.. is true.. i just think. we should all know where we get this gene from...

personally, don't like, white & black... i like the middle way... but the somalian color is the most beautiful i could be buis.. u all fine, no need to sin for beauty when u r already look good. so women chill out.... your somaliness is enough..

LuCkY   

^^^And What about them Euros wanting to Tan so They Can Look Darker?^^^

LoL...Its Like that Saying You ALways Desire What You Dont Have, OR something ALong thOSe Lines.

Such a shame that the tone of skin color is so much of an issue to Somalis. I don’t know whether to feel sorry or aghasted at those who bleach their skin. One of my friends started bleaching her skin, just on the look out warned her of the effects of it – I was accused of being selfish b/c I was light skinned and didn’t want her to be light skinned. It’s so sad, I wish they would just understand how disfigured they become once they bleach their skin.

Raxmah I feeL Ya...how can u be accused of being SeLfish when in reaLity You aint-when u were Looking out for her.Cajiib.I think there is a SomaLi saying reLating to...aaah :mad: i Just cant Remember it....but just remember Later on when she comes crying in the end You tried to heLp her.

N.O.R.F   

could u enlighten an ignorant Lad bro

lol, come on bro, i'm sure u hav attended a few weddings lately ;) , those girls u see with white patches on their faces and spots, how do ya think that comes about?? Diana Whitening cream/skin bleach,,,,,

winger,,,,,chocolate is very nice indeed :D

really :eek:

The extremes that girls go to...... (i can see the females getting Agitated}

Are there any kind of male equivlents????

Rahima   

These days it seems almost every second female seems to be using these creams.

In a way it makes me sick, however, conversely I feel sorry for them that they are not satisfied with the way Allah created them-pretty low self-esteem.

Anyway, it will catch up with them sooner or later and in most cases you can tell. I don’t know about the Northern Hemisphere, but in here in Australia it gets quiet hot and it’s quiet evident on their faces when they are applying these creams. Their skin somehow looks plastic and has therefore pretty much defeated their whole purpose of trying to look more “beautiful”. It can become very ghastly.

Sophist   

For me it is simple; colour is not indicative of beauty. I have actually said to a friend but his retort was; think about the Chinese! do you really think we could stand them if they were dark skined? I laughed so much that I could not reason with him for a while. I had then regained my composure and said; mate; it is not the colour that makes them bad looking bunch generally (i have a feel that some guys who have fetish for the orients will disagree with me wholly) but the other characteristics; say that egg shaped head and perhaps their fishy eyes--- of course this is measuring against the western ideals of beauty; we are all infected by those images that ooze from Vanity Fair, Vogue and their likes.

Anyhow, I say Maarin does it for me; unless Latino goldishly olive colour comes in which case i would indeed fell over my chair cheerily.

Waa idinkaas; maandhayaal isku kalsoonaada gp'aan aheyne. Let me give you untold secret; Real men are attracted by confidence plus intellect; if you want to attract simpletons then go right ahead dance to their tune and bleach yourselves.

Sijui: Have you heard this creature by the name of metrosexuals? oh well; the big stores are currently creating this ilk; men who are supposedly hetrosexual but are obsessed with the way they look-- imagine spending £100 on skin creams; lotions and what have you! such men perhaps fall into this! though they will argue that they are indeed taking care of themselves and are no inflicting harm on their skin; unlike the Dian consuming lot.

LadyMo   

I agree like pretty much everyone else dat skin bleachin is an extremely sad trend amongst Somali women especially de ones in Somalia who probably do it twice as bad as they view being lighter than average a bit like we view Prada and Gucci and so on.

The funny thing howeva is dat there are people in de opposite end of de pole, I for one, hav experienced times when I wished I was darker rather than de opposite. Compared to my peers Im much lighter therefore I often hear comments like Tani ma Somaliyaad ba? and dis aint discreet but loud enuf for everybody to hear which is soo annoyin! & boy I cant even discribe de amount of times I've heard de opposite to dis qoute;

Originally posted by disillusioned-N-despondent:

"
Bisinks...oo inantu madoobaa, tollow yee karaacday
?!!"

So if any of u guys kno of any darkenin methods other than gettin a tan i.e any darkenin creames u kno I'll b de first customer ;) JK I hav learnt to love myself for who I am and accept Allah SWT's creation and say Alxamdulilah.

lol   

DND

On top of that, skin-bleaching is so highly advocated within female circles, that even the strongest women fall for it.

Sister I don't think so. I am dark skinned and almost all the women I know.. have bleached themselves and have been trying for years now to have me join their club... nothing could ever break me. I just look at myself in the mirror.. and admire what I see. Would I wanna trade that for a trashy skin that makes me handicapped??? NO WAY. If you guys didn't know... once u bleach your skin u can't cook, get exposed to the sun.... enjoy the outdoor during the day light.... now tell me.. what kind of living is dat???

Raxmah   

^^lol

Isn't so funny, I've been in those situations before. The only way Somalis would beleive I'm Somali is if I speak somali to them...Few weeks ago I was shopping in pre-dominantly arab community - I saw a somali family - said salams in Somali - they looked at me as if I was crazy and said- wow you speak somali, How did you learn... :confused: They still wouldn't beleive I was Somali. It's bit infuriating - but nothing much I can do about it.

Jaabir   

Originally posted by stpaulchick:

I pesonally think that women that make themselves lighter just to be "more beautiful" need to realize that their scaring the sh** out of everyone. And then their lips are dark as hellllllll ...ew ew ew. Why do u want to ever look that?

looool why dont they apply the magic Diana solution to the lips too?? :D:D