Sign in to follow this  
Curly

Reverse psychology?

Curly   

well I'm glad some of you don't come across this backward way of thinking. So just to make sure...no one here has ever heard elders calling a girl ugly because she isn't covered?

I know we wear see through dircas without people raising eyebrows but hey it's ok because it's a wedding! you can flaunt yourself at weddings and any other time it's bisinka haraam! it's this type of strange contradictions that makes me really loose my confidence and respect for our culture.

I'm not really a fan of somali music but from what I've been told it's usually talking about women's bodies in a rather perverted manner, so I've been told anyways. That's hardly mmmh a postive thing.

Aaliyah I know why they're doing it but I don't think it's the healthiest way I just think that method is more likely to have the opposite effect.

And thepoint I think you've missed my point, I'm not saying bear all. Anyway, I guess I'm alone on this one as usual.

Khalaf   

^Maybe explains why there is no humanity (in the culture) towards women whom do not cover? I believe there are rocks thrown at them in Somalia? And if anyone violates her (uncovered woman) forget about her getting any justice, she would be blamed sax?

Curly   

Khalaf I've witnessed that myself back home as you would imagine is far more backwards. It's just shocking to see it here in SOL when you assume people are educated. Just have a look at the Hawa thread there are loads of nasty comments.

-Lily-   

The only problem I have with skinny models is when they are portrayed as the universal body that all women should strive for.

Whether you were a scarf or not modesty is an attitude and behaviour first and foremost. Then if you wish to obey Allah and make it a physical thing that’s between you and your Lord. There are degrees of physical modesty and there will always be people who criticize others who fail short of their ideal level of modesty, e.g. those who wear skinny jeans with hijab or those who think nikabs is too much. Calling overweight & skinny women ugly has nothing to do with modesty itself. Those comments wrong they may be, stem from our own visions of what we regard as beautiful which is bound to be prejudiced.

CL, as for berating women and the female form, it gets far worse than that. Have you never seen the way girls are raised to think growing breasts is ‘ugly’ and they should hide themselves? Or how being sexual in any form is wrong? That sex in general is an ugly thing that should not be enjoyed (but can be endured to have 10kids)? It’s a terrible way to raise young girls to be ashamed of their bodies. These kinds of attitudes will take a long time to change.

P.S. I’m surprised that Hawa was called an ugly piece of flesh and no one edited it. You can’t mention tribe names but it’s ok to call women piece of meat!

ElPunto   

Originally posted by Sue:

well I'm glad some of you don't come across this backward way of thinking. So just to make sure...no one here has ever heard elders calling a girl ugly because she isn't covered?

I know we wear see through dircas without people raising eyebrows but hey it's ok because it's a wedding! you can flaunt yourself at weddings and any other time it's bisinka haraam! it's this type of strange contradictions that makes me really loose my confidence and respect for our culture.

I'm not really a fan of somali music but from what I've been told it's usually talking about women's bodies in a rather perverted manner, so I've been told anyways. That's hardly mmmh a postive thing.

Aaliyah I know why they're doing it but I don't think it's the healthiest way I just think that method is more likely to have the opposite effect.

And thepoint I think you've missed my point, I'm not saying bear all. Anyway, I guess I'm alone on this one as usual.

Some Somalis are ignorant and prejudiced. You could say most actually. But if they want to label ugly skimpy dressers - that's a personal choice. I don't approve of it - it's narrow minded - but whatever. I don't think it's a big deal.

Somali weddings are usually segregated - so to dress it 'up' is the norm - women showing off to women - par for the course that. I'm not sure where your disapproval is coming from on this score.

As to Somali music - I think you have to listen it to for yourself rather than relying on others' possibly limited experience. From the little I know - a lot of Somali music is about the 'daalka' they've managed to ruin.

Have you gotten the answers that you wanted on this thread? I get the impression you are unsatisfied as to the responses.

Curly   

Ok thepoint in your part of town weddings are segregated, Somali music is about our country and war and imposing your ideology on others which bear in mind was what my post was about is perfectly fine. GREAT, I'm glad we sorted that out!

Pujah   

At a young age I was told the hijab makes you beautiful,
but the objective of the hijab is completely the opposite. Sure it's beautiful in its own right but you have to agree that wasn't the purpose at all.

And I thought I was the only that used to hear this. How hard is it to teach young girls the value of hijab instead of using it as another piece of fashion. :mad:

Aaliyyah   

Being modest is beautiful sisters, and nothing can beat that. Therefore, there is nothing wrong when a parent tells you to wear hijaab because it will make you look pretty or beautiful. It depends how you define beauty? it beauty wearing more revealing clothings ? or is beauty being modest and doing your religious obligations?

It is merely up to you to decide.