Sign in to follow this  
Libaax-Sankataabte

Qaraami Songs Club

I was reading the topic Arabic Songs Club posted by our nomad African and I thought I would copy her and create a topic about qaraami songs.

Lately I have been into qaraami. Here is a song I really like. Wait for couple of seconds and listen to the lyrics.

Cigaal and Khadra

My favorite Somali singers are Shahra Axmed Jaamac (the one and only) and Axmed Cali Cigaal.

Please share yours with us.

Salaan...

Libaax, brother, I am not fond of Qaraami, however let me clear for myself: what is qaraami? People say it is usually involves with guiter, well Axmed Naaji usually uses guiters too and his songs aren't considered to be Qaraami. Qaraami is usually associated with Cumar Dhuule, Ilaahey ha u naxariistee iyo C/llaahi Qarshe, Ilaahey u danbi dhaafee.

I like some of Magool's, Ilaah ha u raxmadee, songs, including anoo idileey aroos kuula gala...asluub badanoow udgoon badanoow...sidii ubaxii u udgoon badanoow... Also Onkod by Cabdi Tahliil Warsame. This song rules.

Baxsanaa baxsanaa, Alla wiilka baxsanaa originally sung by Maryan Mursal. That song was so appealing that I used to think I was that "baxsan wiil." :D

However and afterall, my taste is Sulfa. Sulfa. SULFAAAAAAA.

NGONGE   

I’m a recent convert to Qaraami music but these days that’s all I listen to. My favourite song is the one that kushin sings “eiyado dhoob dhix jeefta dhaaawanaysa obaxa”(heh, if you think my writing in Somali looks bad, be glad you’re not hear to hear me hum the song to myself).

Maxamed Mooge with his “dadka ha esko wayniin”

Axmed Gacayte (with the song below).

http://www.sanaag.net/suugaan/heeso/1030/inaanweli.ram

And this song, in the website someone else sang it but I thought it was a xodaydi song (spelling?)

http://www.ucidparty.com/Weli%20waa%20caruuroo.rm

As for Qarami, I thought it’s to do with sad love songs.

AYOUB   

Libaax

Macruufi, I consider Qaraami(old school) any song that is old and played with guitar only. I am not sure if it has any other meaning. Maybe someone else can enlighten us both.

qarshe3.jpg

That^^^^is what i consider to be Qaraami. Vocals, Oud and traditional drums and nothing more.

This is what others think:

"Qaraami": Roots Music Frozen in the Past Or a Vital Music Still Being Invented

Abdirahman Ahmed Shunuuf, Mohamed Ahmed Shunuuf and Mohamoud Ahmed Shunuuf

Imagine, a national Radio Station in which every musical segment is devoted to only one musical genre: Half century-old songs that hark back to colonial old days. Audiences would be startled, wondering why anything so antique was on the air; recording studios would chafe because they would want to promote more current styles; young people would want to hear more recent songs too. But when you visit Somaliland, the "Qaraami" songs are the only ones given airtime in Radio Hargeisa.

Unlike the rural blues in the United States, for instance, "Qaraami" in Somaliland is like "Rumba" in Cuba, which is still considered contemporary music in Cuba. Musicians and aficionados believe that the "Qaraami" is the (Quintessential) most appreciated music in Somaliland. Most of Somaliland's intellectuals who live in the country, can hardly wait for the government to sponsor an academic symposium on the "Qaraami", with musicologists and musicians giving papers on everything from "Qaraami’s" heavy influence on contemporary Somaliland songs, to its lesser-known African and Arab roots.

During the sixties and early seventies, a little known group called "Barkhad Cas" (The name of a legendary anti-colonial poet and father of the "Qaraami" Mohamed Ismail Barkhad Cas), revealed for the first time what "Qaraami" style was all about. They revealed, for instance, not a folkloric music being carefully preserved by holdouts, but a vital, unregimented music that is still being invented.

"The "Qaraami" is a process," said Faisel Omer Mushteeg, an original member of "Barkhad Cas" group. "The chemistry keeps changing, but it’s all "Qaraami". A good example," he says, is "Subcis", which is an old "Qaraami" song that I wrote. But which I have recorded three different times. Each time, it sounds different, but it’s still "Subcis".

The "Qaraami" appeared in the middle of the 20th century, when colonialism was thriving in Somaliland; colonialism continued in Somaliland until June 26, 1960 five days before Italian Somalia became independent from Italy. Unlike other parts of the Somali speaking communities, including Italian Somalia, who did not have any musicians, singers and playwrights; Somaliland had a number of bands, musicians, playwrights, singers and songwriters, who created "Qaraami", and held on to it until they were free from the Yoke of colonialism.

Through their "Qaraami", they developed music and songs that bemoaned problems - political, romantic, social, philosophical - and held on to community, independence and self-reliance. During colonial rule, Somaliland's artists never adapted scales and contours from British songs. Somali language and music were never replaced by the English of Somaliland’s colonial rulers. Therefore, the music and the songs stayed Somali, never changing to western songs and music.

The "Qaraami" sound seeded virtually all the Somaliland music that followed in the 60s, 70s, 80s and 90s. It made its way, diluted into 1990s dance music performed by the "Waanabes". In its traditional form, "Qaraami" is a soothing heartbeat rhythm, like reggae. It is a call and response between the singers, the "Oud" player and the percussionist. Like roots music everywhere, "Qaraami" now has to compete with the slicker, more accessible pop styles, performed by the "Waanabes."

"Qaraami has not been a favorite for some of the youth in Somaliland," said Faisel Omer. "That’s because of the past twenty five years of our history, which has been robbed from us, by the continuous onslaught on our culture, music and song by the fascist military rule in Somalia which dominated the country."

Qaraami has strong survival mechanisms; because it had persevered for decades. In Somaliland, musical genres don’t seem to have expiration dates. Old styles like the "Qaraami" have never had to be self-consciously revived because groups still play them as a matter of course. Qaraami is marked by the low-tech simplicity of its "Oud", hand drums and voices. Qaraami is by no means an archival genre, frozen in the past. The music has continued to evolve.

------------

IS QARAAMI NOT FOLKLORIC?

Maxamed Mooge Libaan and Sahra Axmed top my list of Somali singers.

This my example of Qaraami M Mooge-Dadka ha iska weyneen

Not so sure about this mudantii haweenkaay---M Mooge

Qaraami may or may not be 'folkloric' (if such word exists) but it sounds nice!! Don't ask me about the lyrics, its all about de ridim! :D

Baashi   

^^My favorite song "dadka ha iska weyneyn" by Mooge. Words of wisdom in these lyrics. Cumar Dhuule is by far one of the best in my book.

Qaraami songs:

Shimbirayahow heesa By Magool.

Gododle waa gediisii By Mooge, Magool and Hibo.

Qadar dhacay By Ahmed Naaji.

BTW, Libaax just in case you need qaraami songs, I have a good collection in MP3 format.

My husband loves qaraami songs yet I fail to understand them, but by nagging him sometimes does the trick. woow baashi magool is dead..my allah forgive her sins. I heard dadka dhintay heesa hoda lama dhagysto because it does no good to them.

LOL @ MMA anaa iskumalynjiray kulahee.

Honesita   

Qarami is the boooooooooomb...when i know the song iyadoo cuseeyb laga dhigay...lol..!! I love Koshin's cd....i dont know the name of it but everrrry song in there is nice nice...!!

Some1 tell me who sings this song.....and if there is a new version of it...(....pple come in between us and try to ruin our love, but, jaceelkeena kaweeyn..dharan dharan...)..!!

Salaamz