Sign in to follow this  
Valenteenah.

Got the time?

Can you think of a more chilling question?

I was walking to work this morning when a man tapped me on the shoulder and asked for the time. Perhaps an innocent enough question to anybody but me. As soon as I heard those words, I froze. Alarm bells…alarm bells. Who asks strangers for the time anymore? Doesn’t everyone have a mobile phone at least, if not a watch? So why ask? I’m certain that only muggers and rapists ever do, anyone else would be in too much of a hurry if they are really worried about the time. Even more importantly, who sneaks up on a lone female and taps her on the shoulder? Eh? Eh?

Anyway, I backed off, calmly told him -from a safe distance- that I didn’t have the time (of course I did, but I wasn't going to get my mobile out. As if!), then I sprinted all the way to the office.

Surely, I’m not the only one disturbed when a strange man asks for the time? I’m either super paranoid, or I have a finely tuned internal danger-sensing system in place. I’m hoping for the latter.

Ibtisam   

miskiin. depends. if it is dark, at night, in a lonely street, i will start running and shout the time over my shoulder as i run as fast as my feet and high heels can carry me. If it is day time on a busy street/bus and it looks like nothing can happen, then i assume it is safe to get my phone out (assuming it is an old beat up phone :D ) depends on who asks, if an old white lady with glasses asks, or if a white junki or Black crack head or an Asian lost case, then u bet i will hold on my phone and bag like no mans business.

but in any case it is better to be safe than sorry

Yeniceri   

All of that simply because a stranger (dude) asked you what time it was? I say you're a bit paranoid (which automatically "fine-tunes" the inner alert system). The question you posed is two sides of the same coin.

P.S. Next time someone asks, instead of freezing, pull the ol' school Korean act: Shake your head and say "No English!" :D

Good job Ahura! You’re right, only muggers and rapists ask question like that to strange women! No reasonable and law-abiding man would approach a strange woman in a secluded area!

Asking for the time is a well-known technique that muggers and rapists use. The objective is to get the victim to put her guard down, while she looks at the watch or cell phone and her hands and eyes are busy, they make their move!

Keep that finely tuned internal danger-sensing system in place! It might have saved you from getting mugged today or worst! :D

hodman   

Fine tuned senses never hurt anyone but innocently assuming that he meant no harm by asking the time after tapping you on the shoulder might've.

Must be living in these sick western countries but I can't stand people coming upclose to me unless I can see them coming!Personal space and all those good things they teach us :D

hodman   

Sis don't believe everything you google icon_razz.gif

Wasn't defending the USA but I don't think it's worse than any other place especially where people have to go on the Tube.That in my book is more of a threat and makes it more likely to run into all sorts of characters.

Ibtisam   

:D:D:D

the tubes are normally used by normal people, it is also nearly always full, and it has lights and CCTV. maybe u should not believe everything u hear. lool

:D

on a serious note, anything can happen to you regardless of where u are.

Jafarel.   

I’m either super paranoid, or I have a finely tuned internal danger-sensing system in place. I’m hoping for the latter

I think the former...

There was a time I forgot my watch and mobile at home. I know the feeling. The guy meant no HARM.

Relax sis... ;)