Sign in to follow this  
Xafsa

Jilbaab

Blessed   

Originally posted by Tamina:

Personally, I love the Cabaaya-Xijaab combination. I honestly think the jilbaab is a little too much to work with. It's huge and i'm sorry to say some women wear it too long that you're doing service for the city by sweeping the streets!!!!

Whether it's jilbaab (somali version), or cabaaya, it's all the same. It's pretty much a cultural preference....as long as everyone fulfills the specific requirments of modesty:)

I love the cabaayah as well. I usually wear to the masjid but I'm growing somewhat fond of it since ramadaan. It just goes with everything,you can dress it up or down as you please and you don't have to worry about having your curves out on display.

I think diric garbasaar is pretty as well but not very practicle in Biritish weather :eek:

As-salaamu alaikum wr wb,

Masha’Allah, hijabis intuitive posts on hijab never seizes to amaze me...May Allah(Swt) bless their valuable input... :D Is it just me or do u just dig their mentality? ;) ...no offense to the non-hijab’s I got nothing but love for ya :D ...

Here is my two cents, I know it'll be nothing compared to whatcha’ll wrote, but anywho... To me hijab constantly reminds me how 'm a mere slave, it shields me against my desires. As a muhajaba I leave my house everyday feeling confident...I also know 'm representing millions of muslimahs around the globe..and the icing of the cake is the fact of knowing that I would be wrapped in a garmet that ummul muminiin wore (Aisha) smile.gif . What puzzles me the most is how certain folks see as being oppressed back ward thinkers...do they not know they are numbed by the delusion of freedom... I could be wrong here, but I just think their self-esteem is solely based upon how much they could look like the tara banks (probably spelled her name wrong) but u do get the point... I don't think any of us really understands the beauty of hijab, its just hard to explain to others how it motivates you, liberates us and gives us courage to be individual. Lets not forget the kind of sisterhood bond it creates...if I have written anything which might have offended anyone, please do forgive me...for I only said so out of ignorance...

Xafsa   

Originally posted by Bee:

Flying...u gotta send me a pic once you do. :cool:

I will insha alaah.

Lakkad-lol its good to know

Mixx unique/wiilo-lol I didn't me you ...you were responding to nino brown.. smile.gif

Haneefah   

Originally posted by Tamina:

I honestly think the jilbaab is a little too much to work with. It's huge and i'm sorry to say some women wear it too long that you're doing service for the city by sweeping the streets!!!!

Tell me about it!! And also, wuts up with the bright, shiny, rainbow colors they wear...doesn't that go against the purpose of hijaab?

Personally, I'm really into the arabic jilbabs with their complimentary hijaabs. My sister-in-law got me few sets when I was in Mn and I wear them to the masjid or Islamic gatherings...I honestly think I look better in them than the normal hijab. All the girls in my family plus my aunts wear them and they're pushing me. They come in different types, from normal informal ones to really sophisticated ones that you can wear to formal settings. They just give you a beautiful figure and the same time, cover you very well. Insha'Allah, I'll start wearing them for good one day (hopefully soon)

Flying...let me know if you're interested in these types of jilbabs...There's a jordanian woman that sells gorgeous ones in your area...I can get you her info.

Xafsa   

^^^ I'm looking for the abaays with their hijaabs too. Like Rahiima said you can wear one or the other depending on your mood. the jordanian lady your talking about...does she have store in the somali mall of st.paul?

dawoco   

Around Camden Town many somali sisters wear jilbaab and in my opinion do discredit to it. They stare at anyone who doesn't wear a jilbaab and don't even give a reply when i greet them according to our Islamic ways. They anger me, be cause once they have donned on a jilbaab they have become representatives of our religion and ignoring another muslimah's salaams just doesn't strike me very Islamic....

Thank Allah there are many sisters who wear it and abide the responsibility they carry.

Flying, i don't think it matters what you wear as long as you cover yourself with modesty in mind.

Of course its important whilst adopting the Correct Islamic Attire, to then behave in ways best represent our Deen. Rember both men and women are the Dawah Carries. We must Practise what we often preach lest we become Hypocrits ourselves (and before anyone jumps on me i am not talking about any specific individual).

Dawaco, sis, whilst i understand the prinicple behind what you say i cant fully endorse your thoughts. It is incorrect to suggest that it is permissible to just get by on good behavour. Ideally Behavour must match the Attire, otherwise your just another women who behave very modestly but is none the less still somewaht exposed to the glare of us men.

Why not reap the full rewards of Modesty in mind, by draping that modesty in i.e. Jilbaab.?

Changed   

wuts up with the bright, shiny, rainbow colors they wear

dude those colors are supposed to be the sheeed........i want to wear the silky green jalbaab, with the black scarf icon_razz.gificon_razz.gif ...on a serious note it annoys me ,the colorfull ugly jilbaab and the mis matching jilbaabs

Xafsa u know i was joking ;) EID MUBARAK BTW

Xafsa   

You guys do realize that the same can be said about the khimaar and people who wear it? Besides you shouldn't be concentrating on other people's actions doesn't matter what type of hijaab they wear.

Sophist   

Salamu Alaikum to you all,

Let me Put on My Sheikh Cimaamad!

Okay, this is a matter that seeks a religious illumination- one of course I personally lack. However, as the prophet SCW said Balaquu canii walow Ayaa: deliver from me what you learn even it is only one verse. This is the Hadith with indeed obliges me to respond to this issue.

I feel many of the sisters (and enough some brothers too) have missed the point. Granted the question which has been asked were followed to be responded, I think the answer should have been tailored in a manner or form that should be different from the way it has been presented. Which angle should we look from?

The issue is as Bee (nice new nick, you go girl :cool: ) has said, Allah has indeed spoke about the manner of the Hijab in the Quran. Allah Says [Chapter 24, verses 30-31] "O Prophet! Tell thy wives and daughters, and the believing women, that they should cast their outer garments over their persons...that they should be known and not molested." [Chapter 33, verse 59]

Al Acraaf “O Children of Adam! We have bestowed raiment upon you to cover yourselves (screen your private parts, etc.) and as an adornment, and the raiment of righteousness, that is better. Such are among the Ayât (proofs, evidences, verses, lessons, signs, revelations, etc.) of Allah, that they may remember (i.e. leave falsehood and follow truth).

An authenticated Hadith says “.If the woman reaches the age of puberty, no part of her body should be seen but this --- and he pointed to his face and hands."

The vast preponderance of Muslim scholars and jurists, past and present, have determined the minimum requirements for Muslim women's dress: 1) Clothing must cover the entire body, with the exception of the face and the hands. 2) The attire should not be form fitting, sheer or so eye-catching as to attract undue attention or reveal the shape of the body.

The question is then, do the attire that Somalis traditionally wear satisfy the above requirements? Surely, dirac and particularly the guntiino ama gareys fall outside the above-stipulated requirements. Also the shalmad and the other famous things that we traditionally wear are indeed so colourful that they will fail to satisfy the last requirement—eye-catching bit. Also the Hadith clearly dismisses diric and what have you to be Islamic attire. It is an Islamic duty for men and women to dress appropriately, most of the above requirements save the latter part of the first requirement and last one apply to the men’s attire. We should not be wearing jeans that show our particular anatomical structure.

The Hijab is not an Arab thing neither is it Asiatic; it is indeed a Islamic garment that should not be domesticated to certain culture. It should be the sign that unifies all the sisters around the globe. The idea of nationalistic idiom of culture being the center of our being is nothing short of a hallow mantra. The Hijab, in its different forms have same streak between it and those are mentioned the above requirements.

Our Culture should be policed by what is more important to us and that is religion. Our tradition should be defined by Islam of which we gave ourselves to.

May Allah guide us all.

Sophist

Haneefah   

^^^ I must say, You look good with your cimaamad on smile.gif

Originally posted by flying-still:

does she have store in the somali mall of st.paul?

Caakifah...No , you can actually find her at the Huda masjid on central street I believe..she brings her stuff there on fri nights and other times I think she runs her business at home...her name is Amani...most ppl will know her...I just heard she brought great selection for eid, go check em out ;) Gosh, that so sounds like an advertisement..oh well, I get the sawab :cool:

Talking about covers, there are surely many Somali looks to choose from. I found the following links on google.

http://www.startribune.com/news/metro/tugofwar/10.shtml

12.jpg

Source: Star Tribune

11.jpg

09.jpg

03.jpg

07.jpg

02.jpg