Sign in to follow this  
Xafsa

Jilbaab

Xafsa   

I wanted to know how many of the ladies here wear jilbaabs. Is it any different than the khimaar.

Is it easier to wear the khimaar than it is to wear the jilbaab...in terms of school and work. Just wanted to get some feedback from y'all.

Salaam

Rahima   

I wear both; it all depends on how i feel on the day. But when i do wear a khimaar it is always with a cabaaya, i feel that a khimaar on its own is too revealing.

As for easiness, i personally find them the same but it could possibly be because I’ve gotten so used to it. I know most beginners find the jilbaab hard simply because it does at times fly around somewhat smile.gif .

ladies! i dunno what this stuff is, and frankly never heard any of this materials! but i aint gonna go my thru my normal routine of anlyzing it since this ramaadan! i amna say jalaa!ok... u ladies have, hmmm! about 48hrs to explain this stuff... u know after that rudy is out of the bag! smile.gif

Saalixa   

f-still

jilbaab, khimaar same thing, what matters is your intention sis.

walaahi nagaha somaliyeed manshaalah they wear the jilbaab but the way the act isn't right and noble.i think you should only wear the hijaab if your imaam is strong, and you have the knowledge and you know the value the material you are wearing carries. the somali women don't think that way. And i hate the way they judge you calling you things,,,i think at times like that " bal adinku hoos maadu isuu eegtiin"?

there was a teacher that used to teach me the quran in a dugssi i attended when i was small. Man we would get told off if we went with a khimaar, and malintu nugu arko khimaarka outside in the mall or street, maalinta kale anuu nimaadno dugsiga we would get the biggest lecture. it was so frustrating you akhlaaq and self respect matters more. Walah somalis have a demented way of thinking.

Xafsa   

Rayaana--I see where your coming from hon...but its never fair to catagorize people like that. not ALL somali women are as you said...there are some who know the meaning of what a hijaab is regardless of how long or how big...they all carry the same responsiblities and duties.

RaHIIMA-The khimaar with the abaay is a very good idea I was thinking about it the other day.. masha alaah sis allaha kuu siyaadiyo!

rudy--lol...if you don't know what khimaar and jilbaab are I have no idea how to explain it. all that i can say is that one is bigger than the other...maybe my other sistahs can help you with that.

salaam

Personally, I love the Cabaaya-Xijaab combination. I honestly think the jilbaab is a little too much to work with. It's huge and i'm sorry to say some women wear it too long that you're doing service for the city by sweeping the streets!!!!

Whether it's jilbaab (somali version), or cabaaya, it's all the same. It's pretty much a cultural preference....as long as everyone fulfills the specific requirments of modesty:)

Afuur wanaagsan......& EID MUBARAK !!!!

hukri   

Personally I haven't been outside with a jilbaad! I don't think I could either cuz for me it's a little to big to fit in with my daily routines, but I gotta give credit to those girls who can do it all. smile.gif

Raxmah   

I really find jilbaab to be overbearing to my daily activities, I dont think its a must for one to wear it to be a true muslimah, I dont wear abaya nor jilbaab, just a casual skirt and long sleeve shirt is fine for me plus hijab, but somalis around here have to make comments no matter how you dress, really could care less what those ladies wearing layred of clothes have to tell me cause the way I dress is just as modest compared to the way they dress.

Salaan...

I might not be a sister and the question certainly never was intended for me, however this whole saga about jilbaab is overrated.

To those who wear it, great.

But what happened to our own cultured Soomaali clothing? Whatever happened to garbasaar, shaash, qamaar, sifaleeti, guntiino, garees, shaalka naagaha, baati, etc. What happened? Were they "un-Islamic" clothes?

A lady who wears garbasaar with shaash or sifaleeti is as modest to me as any jilbaab-wearing woman, honestly. And plus, it is "our" culture. Since when we shunned a sifaleeti with garbasaar and substituted it with jilbaab. My God, what happened? Or is that we embraced Islam on the late 1980s {when jilbaab penetrated on the mainstream of Soomaali culture}?

What did our mothers/aunts use to wear before late '80s was certainly in some aspects of Islam. Yes, some might have been un-Islamic practices, but garbasaar was certainly within Islamic frame-point.

Yes, it is a personal choice, however some circles believe strongly that garbasaar is not Islamic "enough" but jilbaab is. Give me a freakin' break.

To be honest with you all, when I see a Soomaali lady wearing garbasaar {not the fashionable one with dirac-matching, save that for aroos} with of course her sifaleeti covering her hair makes my Soomaalihood proud. A lot prouder than a jilbaab-wearing woman.

Certainly our mothers, grandmothers, aunts, sisters were not wrong by wearing garbasaaro.

Alas, it is unfortunate that we shunned our Islamic culture with "other" Islamic cultures.

And don't start with me Arabic-style xijaab. Yes, this Arabic-style xijaab can be convenient to those who live in Western countries, however since when it became the "official" xijaab? All those sisters who live in the West wear that kind of xijaab thinking it is the correct one "only."

Preserve the Islamic Soomaali culture, which aren't that many. And don't ask me to define for you what Soomaali "culture" is. Nah! :D

Ciid Wanaagsan and I hope you are all going to wear garbasaaro to salaada ciidda tomorrow. :D

121612.jpg

Like ^^^^^^ her. :cool: smile.gif

Macsalaama.

nafta   

thanx MMA for sharing your view brotha...i dont wear a jilbaab nor a hijaab...why? simply because i dont feel ready for it and if i did go and wear it i know i wouldn't carry it with the whole heartedly feeling i should, but insha allah in due time i hope i will.

But however, that doesnt mean that i bear myself or walk around half naked ignoring all the other core issues of the islam, i do wear my skirts, i try most of the time to avoid tightbearing clothes. So coming back to the question...I don't really think it is necessary to wear a jilbaab because you can look the same; i.e. covered up in a hijaab and cabaya...or a casual skirt and shirt smile.gif .

But to all the girls women wearing it that is great as well.

NinBrown   

Salaama

I know iam not a female, but iam compelled to anwser and post a reply..in order to clarify what the hijaab is and refute the claims of MMM..so forgive me

Allah, subxana watacala stated in the noble Quran..

'And say to the believing women that they should lower their gaze and guard their modesty; that they should not display their beauty and ornaments except what (must ordinarily) appear thereof; that they should draw their veils over their bosoms and not display their beauty' (24:11)

The conditions of Hijaab..to fulfill the command of Allah..however you fulfil this command whether by cabaaya or Jilbaab or other means..the Ulama say there is 7 or 8 of these..

1)Covering ALL Of The Body

2)The hijab must not be a display

3)The hijab must not be transparent

4)Hijab must be roomy, and not tight.

5)The hijab must not be perfumed

6)The hijab shouldn't resemble the dress of a man

7)The hijab must not resemble the garments of the kuffar

MMM- Subxanallah..ur saying somali women should follow somali culture and instead of following the Quran and the Sunnah...may allah save us from this. by the way if somali culture is so great why are we all refugees in Kufaar lands huh..

Changed   

^^ i dont think garbasar is un-islamic i think it covers the parts that are to be covered ...my mom wears gabarsar and shaash and i think she is islamically covered thank u very much...and what part of the woman shown in the picture is uncovered? ya rabi..

i personaly wear khimar or hijaab whatever u might want to call it , i wear it cuz it lighter than jilbaab, garbasar and the rest that people wear, easier to handle:)

I get what MMA is saying...that basically there's no set style, colour or fabric when it comes to covering one's body.

Hijaab in general is culturally/environmentally specific. I doubt if Malaysian Muslim women dress in exactly the same manner as Nigerian Muslims. Similarly Somali women don't really need to dress like Saudi or other Arab women. They can if they want to, and of course many choose to, but it isn't a must. Furthermore, Women living in warm climates will dress differently from those living in cold ones. It would be impractical otherwise (and probably unbearable).

Since a fixed uniform hasn't been stipulated in the Qur'an, it follows that a woman can wear whatever she wishes as long as the clothes meet Islamic standards.

Flying...

Are you considering taking up the jilbaab? Congrats.... ;)

Xafsa   

lol...there are alot of ppl here that are on the defensive! I did not nor did anyone else say that the khimaar or the garbasaar are any less islamic than the jilbaab. There is no need to put down the women that wear it or to defend yourself if you wear the khimaar or the garbasaar...

Barwaaqo----maybe ;)