Sign in to follow this  
Laba-X

Help: File Recovery

Laba-X   

Guys how can i recover a file from a USB drive?

I have written an extensive word document and saved it. Then after a few days I added a few more things and saved it again, but this time on saving the whole thing disappeared. How do I restore it?

Laba-X   

Yes, it won't open. I get this message when I try to:

word experienced an error trying to open the file.

try these suggestions:

*check the file permissions for the document drive

*make sure there is sufficient free memory and disk space

*open the file with the Text Recovery Converter

The thing is I cannot open it with Text Recovery either because the file has disappeared from the location where it was saved all together!

Ibtisam   

Check your recycle bin.

I'm really bad with these things. Take it to your IT person at work or uni or a shop. You risk doing more damage otherwise.

I hate USB, the number of times I damage them, can't find them, won't open. It is endless. When are they going to make a full proof one!

LX sxb.

that is a tricky one because if the file was on the system HDD ... there would have been a few options to recover it from windows. I remember reading a while back .. that MS excel creates an exact copy of any document that you have open and unsaved in a windows temp folder with a really long alphanumeric file name and windows does a file swap when saving.

In any case there is software that can help you with your specefic problem (I dont know any off the top of my head)... try searching on www.download.com in the utilities section search for file recovery software .. be sure to read the comments left by other users of the particular software you want to use.

Faheema.   

^ OK, Horta, What version of Word are you using?

Second, before you open the "Recover Text from any file" use the pulldown on the Open button itself and select Open and Repair.

LX, if you don't see the file/folder in your USB flash, then the file or folder is maybe hidden. So when you open you flash drive, on the tool bar select tools then folder options. windows opens up then select view tab and then select "show hidden files and folders" box. I am hoping your file is just hidden and not lost. Try this and see if it helps.

Laba-X   

Thanks guys for all the input.

IbtiI have checked the recycle bin and its not th.

Faheema, am using 2003. And also, in order to use the 'open and repair' I need to first locate the file, which I cannot.

Xarbi - I have tried a multitude of Recovery softwares and actually one of them did manage to recover an od version of the file (the first time I saved it and without todays added info) but it won't allow me to recover it unless i pay some $ for it. is there any other way!

G.T. I did as you commanded, but the file won't show up. It still has the same number of files as before.

Faheema.   

Tell whoever was expecting it that the mouse ate it smile.gif

Ps. If another software can recover the previous version, you should be able to.

Urban   

I've never heard of this problem before, veird.

LX, try the windows 'Search' function and let it search for the file name in all the PC drives, inc the USB. Hope that works man, otherwise good luck.