Sign in to follow this  
STOIC

Nomad to Harvard

STOIC   

I should have posted this as a disclaimer, but I know my people how they interpret stuff.I’m sure many of us here including me personally are past the age of knowing the difference between the good and the bad.When I posted this topic I had no intention of reporting feel-good kind of story. I’m sure there are many unique stories about Somalis in the Diaspora out there. I usually post these kind of stories to target the youth who visit these pages. It is refreshing to read or hear about a Somali who maybe traditionally have started life in America or in Europe in a humble or challenging circumstance and overcame all the hardship and made to his/her goal. I have personally looked up to people who are not necessarily Somalis or who don’t share ANY background with me. I post these sorts of stories not to divide or make some group to feel better than another, but to encourage the youth in here to look up to someone who looks like them or been through what they been through in life! Determination does get people through hard time and that anything can be done, and if it can be done why not our youth?

Good for him, his story may not be unique but it's still a good story.

That being said, I couldn't help but notice how much the guy was selling 'somaliland', he was like one of those persistent Jehovah's witnesses.

STOIC, I am glad the brother is doing well. he seems a decent Hargeisaawi who worked hard. I hope the brother got his cash a long time ago and run because reality has finally caught up with these incompetent, greedy finanical companies in Wall Street. It is a matter of surviaval for Citi, Morgan Stanley and many other finanicial firms.

PS: There are many Somalis who went to top schools in their respective countries and I am afraid his story is not unique by any way you look at it (education or career). As a a matter of fact, there is a female nomad who frequents SOL who went to the same school doing medicine. .

STOIC   

Libax, I totally agree with you that there are many Somalis who went to Ivy league and matter of fact I personally know of few who went to MIT and Princeton. This sort of success stories are what the youngsters suppose to read for the successful once in the world are those who overcame adversities to achieve success.I have lived in a city where there were a great number of Somalis. It breaks your heart when you see young Somali kids who think that there is a short cut to success by maybe doing drugs or dreaming about the material world of bling-bling!The number of high school graduates who didn't have the intention of going to college was so high.This is was in part to blame the parents and the neighborhood this kids lived where the high school drop out is too high.

The young guns need to realize that opportunity will only come once on there way and that they need to realize it before it is too late. Of course the success in life is not only to pin degrees on the wall, but to live a purposeful life! The older generations’ accomplishment has a positive effect on the Somali youth whether they are in Hargeysa or Bosaso!

It is through diligence and hard work that people achieve success and I hope as a big brother and big sister we extend a helping hand to all the Somali youth! It is only the youth that has the most opportunity to rise from humble beginning to outstanding

RedSea   

Reer hargeisa are the majority of the folks that went to IVY league schools. Even a 16 yr girl straight from Hargeysa to the U.S was accepted to medical school right after she graduated from High School. Allow rer Hargeisa iidaa (and Burco offcourse) lool.

The bro. has done a great job and accomplished alot and congrat him on that.

Nonetheless, he is a prime example of how none of us somalis, none, even the best & brightest isn't save from this mental disease: Qoys iyo qabil.

Was he a regular faarax, such myopic and narrow-mindedness (our xaafadana is better than your xaafad mentality would've been not so surprising.

Ps. Stoic Blame redsea for this.....for actually taking to the next step redface.gif - our footley our brighter than yours.

Originally posted by M.M.:

The bro. has done a great job and accomplished alot and congrat him on that.

Nonetheless, he is a prime example of how none of us somalis, none, even the best & brightest isn't save from this mental disease: Qoys iyo qabil.

Unfortunately this is too true. Being educated does not make one any less 'prejudice' and biased, especially somali's where qabil is everything.